Prosthetic leg for Jax maybe

NicTurtle

After the article came out in the paper someone local emailed to say he does prosthetics for people and would like to try to expand to animals. He said he'd like to try with Jax if I'm willing. I'm going in Friday to see if he thinks Jax would make a good candidate. I know lots of people have seen 3 legged dogs getting on fine and I know Jax will too if the prosthetic doesn't work for him. But I thought we might as well give it a shot since its being offered.

Jax is figuring out how to move around and seems to be healing well. He's a little depressed, I think because he still has his "cone of shame" on and can't clean himself or scratch his itches.

He's suspicious of every yummy food bit we give him because he thinks we're trying to sneak pills in. Poor baby. :( Two more days of that and he's done with the pills though. He's run the cone into every surface in the house and we've had to tape it back together about 3 times. My daughter thought a burglar was in the house the first night because Jax bumped the cone into all the walls and doorways on his way out with my husband, what a racket he made! He just had no concept that a big white thing was around his head!

He gets the stitches out tomorrow and I'll be able to bath him and finally let him out in the yard to run unencumbered by the hated cone.

I hope things go well with the prosthetic. Is he offering a discount because its just a "test"??

Haha - yeah. Whenever Suka has his cone on, he bumps into EVERYTHING, and I have to lift the bottom of his cone up so he can walk up stairs, the poor boy! Like Jax, he has no concept that the cone is bigger than his head!

(FYI: Did you know that their whiskers are actually used for spacial orientation? That's why they bump into stuff when they have their cone on, because their whiskers say that 'everything is okay' as the whiskers aren't being compressed like they normally would if they are about to bump into something, so the dog just goes around like normal because they don't know any better.)

I hope everything goes well! That could be a great step for any dog needing one in the future. Kora was deadly with a cone on that we rarely ever kept it on her. She would run into us and cause massive pain and bruising. ;.; It really hurt. Lucky for us she never bother the stitches/bandages all 3 times she had to use a cone or not use one. :P