Moving to a warm country

yaroni

Sorry if this has been posted already, but i seem to be inept at using the search feature lol.

I am moving to Israel (job). It gets hot during the summer/spring and even fall months. Although i will be living close to the beach and closer to the sea breeze, but i imagine it will be difficult for my baby. Id say Israel is the opposite of Canada, where it's cold for 3/4 of the year and really hot during the summer.

Now my apartment will be air conditioned, but besides that, are there any husky owners here that live in warmer climates that can give me some advice. It would be beneficial to us both if i plan beforehand.

Things like, cooling pads, or if its ok to constantly soak them with a hose before walks?

thanks in advance.

post-5837-13586083269444_thumb.jpg

I live on the desert in the US with two Huskies and it seldom gets over 115f here so it's not really *hot* - with a little common sense though, you wont have a problem.

Two things on the top of the list: water, make sure they always have plenty of fresh water available and shade so they have a way to get out of the sun if they're outside.

Personally I would not wet mine down - their hair is an effective insulator, both from the cold of an arctic winter and from the heat of a desert summer. I'd think that wetting them down for evaporative cooling purposes would more likely end up drying their skin out ... haven't done it and not really sure. We have gone swimming in the lake / pond and they dry so fast that I don't think it would do much good.

Walking and hard playing only in the early morning before the temperature get up or in the late evening after it's cooled off ( like it cools off in the desert before midnight! )

Coming from the cold Canadian climate to the hot Israeli desert - take it slow and easy and give them time to acclimate themselves before you take them out for a run ...

Simple line I've seen from others here, if it's too hot for you to be comfortable then it's too hot for your dog!

Sorry if this has been posted already, but i seem to be inept at using the search feature lol.

I am moving to Israel (job). It gets hot during the summer/spring and even fall months. Although i will be living close to the beach and closer to the sea breeze, but i imagine it will be difficult for my baby. Id say Israel is the opposite of Canada, where it's cold for 3/4 of the year and really hot during the summer.

Now my apartment will be air conditioned, but besides that, are there any husky owners here that live in warmer climates that can give me some advice. It would be beneficial to us both if i plan beforehand.

Things like, cooling pads, or if its ok to constantly soak them with a hose before walks?

thanks in advance.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65115[/ATTACH]

:eek: TRAITOR! Haha, j/k! You have to go where the jobs are, eh?

Getting serious now...

The most dangerous aspect of heat is the humidity. I live near the Great Lakes, which is very humid ALL the time! (So ... summers are so humid its hard to breathe! The winters also suck...a -10 C day is feels like -25ish C in other (non-humid) parts of Canada.)

During the spring and summer, I always walk Suka late at night (around 10pm...long enough after sundown so the air has a chance to cool down)...but early in the morning can work too (5-7am, depending how quickly it gets hot down there...)

He's given slightly cool water at all times.

NEVER cold water, because that can shock and 'confuse' the body... the body thinks it has to go into 'cold mode' (blood vessels constrict to maintain heat, etc), which is very bad during hot weather cause you don't want to maintain heat!! (Can result in heatstroke...)

He also has access to a lot of shade, too. (FYI: the city is usually a few degrees © hotter than out in the country or in the forest...)

I don't know if Israel is humid or not, but that's the real killer (as I said before.) This is because, when the air is humid, panting isn't nearly as effective as when the air is drier/less humid. This is also for humans as well (our sweat doesn't evaporate as quickly) so YOU have to be careful too!

Take things slow with both you and her, and allow yourselves to adapt to the different climate.

We live in a relatively hot area where temps reach 35C and higher at times. My huskies lay on the cement in blazing hot sun without a problem, they come inside to cool off and then go back outside. The heat doesn't bother them at all. I am not sure how a husky who is used to 'extreme' cold will cope moving to a hotter climate - having aircon will certainly help a lot. Congrats on the new job :)

Thanks for all the replies. I should mention that I do live in Toronto where the summer is humid and very hot, 35+. And i think the transition will be easier as winter is approaching in Israel.

ive taken him to the lake, and he loves it, but has anyone had any luck with salt water, cuz a day at the beach sounds like a great excuse for cooling him down