My poor Sasha

Removed #5

So ... we're about a month post spay and I'm gradually getting a new dog out of the deal.

I wondered, I think I've said so here, about her knowing how to play - nope, she has had absolutely no idea!! Since she doesn't seem to have been abused (neglected maybe, but not abused) I'd suspect that like a lot of others, she was taken from her litter way too early, before she learned the give and take of puppy play.

With a little friendly teasing on my part and Avalanche's constant desire to PLAY! she's gradually loosening up. I think I commented once before that she'll nip at Avalanche (mostly at his feet!) and I've come to the conclusion that she's trying to play but he's just a bit gun shy. She's laid into him pretty solidly a couple of times, so I don't blame him for not being sure. I do think that some of what I've seen as possessiveness and minor aggression is actually her attempt to play but didn't know how. Avalanche has rolled her a couple of times in play and she comes right back for more; if I roll her, all I get is belly up and 'pet me!'

It's odd, she'll sometimes come to me for attention; sometimes she'll even come when I call her, but she remains aloof - Avalanche is gradually breaking that barrier down and they were playing in the house a couple of nights ago until I had to "Enough!!" as I was getting papers scattered all over my living room.

She's coming around, but I've said that before ... but time is going to take it's toll as she decides that she is safe and she can play without worrying too much about ramifications ( "Enough!" tends to make her hunker down, not really scared but not really sure ... )

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic