Sleep.. How much do you need?

Povodny

I've worked permanent nights for 22 years. It always fit round me having my children at home in the day, school rota and just generally needing to be there but having no grandparents to fall back on in a crisis. They're not dead, just live too far away.

My sleep pattern, if you can call is that. Consists of my managing around four to five hrs a night when I'm not in work and anything from two an a half hours to four hours on days I work.

When the children were small I'd work split shifts. So I'd work Monday, Wednesday Friday and Saturday night and sleep the other three, I'd manage an hour in the morning on completing my shift before having to get up with the children. And Saturdays my husband was home in the afternoon so I got sleep before work that night.

I'm curious because last night in work, a colleague was complaining she'd only had seven hours sleep between getting up Wednesday morning and coming into work that night. I just replied, "that's normal isn't it?" As for me that is fairly normal! Lol she looked at me like I had two heads and said "why are you telling me you don't have more?"

I know the OH can have eight straight uninterrupted hrs and still not be able to get out of bed in a morning

How about you lot?

Edited by Povodny

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This website is my Bible: http://sleepyti.me/

I use it all the time, every night, because sometimes even when I get 8-9 hours of sleep I still feel groggy. But, with this website, I don't anymore because I make sure I wake up between cycles...

But, yeah...I need atleast 9 hours (along with waking up between cycles...see above) if I want to perform well in my classes...

9 hours is what I'd naturally sleep for. Less when the pesky alarm clock wakes me up. Mother in law worked nights for 30 years. She semi retired a few years back and still doesn't get to sleep until about 2/3am. She's up again at 9am, so gets about 6/7 hours sleep. Sometimes she's awake all night, and pays for it the next day.

I have sleeping disorder which was caused by stress 10 almost 15 years ago when i was at school since then its common for me do a day or two on very little or no sleep and then make up for it next couple days. Also did nights for long period time on average im 2-3 hours sleep normally and very rare i get deep sleep phase rapid eye movment. So i have restless sleep :( Starting get used to it now thou. Gf need 8hours or shes a *****(female dog) and grumpy all day :)

I have set 6 hours as minimum but it usually takes me 1 to 3 hours to actually fall asleep at some days. I strive for 7/8 hours everyday. No matter how much (or few) hours I have of sleep, it always takes an hour for me to actually wake up after my alarm went off. At that point I'm usually already at work/school :rolleyes:

I used to only get about 3-4 hours of sleep a night because I would always be watching anime or up late reading manga, but since I got the pups I've been getting about 8-10 hours because I know I need lots of energy to keep up with them. Plus I'm really cranky if I don't get enough sleep. CUTE.gif

i love my sleep.... but my daughter only lets me get 3/4 hours a night.... i miss my bed n lie ins lol

I can function on just 2/3 hrs and have done on many occasion, working a late followed by an early with a stop over in the middle can sometimes mean I have 2 back to back shifts with only a couple of hours kip. So long as I know that I can have a nap when I get home then I can cope my 9 hr shift (so long as nothing major happens lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I know I never get enough, as I have issues at night falling asleep. When I do get to sleep in on a weekend I tend to act 20years younger than I am and sleep 12+ hours, but the average for a weeknight is 4-7hrs, but that is not "consistent" sleep as I tend to wake up every 1.5hrs or so. I sometimes take a 45min nap on my lunch break.

this probably aint the best thread for me to reply to :oops

Im a sleepaholic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can sleep till the cows come home, and stay in a deep sleep at that! I sleep all the time often when I'm ill or going through a bit of a down patch. Drs think I sleep so much because of my "illness" but I just say Im a lazy bugger :D

Some times I can have 5-6 hours sleep and be fine but sometimes I can have 5-6 hours sleep and cant manage at all!