A Dangerous Game

tgainsbrough

I took Kora on a long leash walk today to work on her commands off leash. She needs to learn this as it is very important to have a firm recall off leash, if I drop the leash due to passing out or have to have her leave me to get help. She is on a 40' leash and she follows certain commands just for this such as "this way", "too far", etc. We walked to the end of our pier where we live (right next to a marina) and Kora caught herself on benches, I dropped the leash and commanded "wait" (which doesn't mean stay it just means don't move too far or don't pass this threshold). She waited. I got the leash and unwrapped it and we were on our way. But then my hand seized up and I accidentally dropped the leash, I panicked because she went trotting ahead of me not giving her the correct commands I said "no" and "ahh ahh ahh" then said "too far" but she was already right next to my mother who had her hands full. Kora paused and waited next to my mom as the "too far" command told her too. But then she saw me moving towards her and thought it was okay to move again but she went running towards the park. Boy did my heart stop, while this was at night there were cars in the parking lot and people in the park. I stop and yelled "Kora! Come!" Then bent down and opened my arms. She whipped and around and bolted at the same speed towards me. (not stopping mind you I had to jump out of the way)

I am tearing up right now. I am so proud of her, she followed the commands and did them with such precision that it makes me feel I am doing good with training her. She is still a puppy so I am not angry at her for wanting to run and play that's just what she does, but I am so happy that even while she is playing and ignoring the world around her she still hears me. <3 <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seriously this seems to be the only forum I post in. The training forum. Multiple times I have sat there like where else should I post today........ I come up flat. >.>;;

P.S. The title is refurring to the best time to prove what you have learned is in the midst of action. So to prove that Kora would come to matter what she would have to run away first.

I do understand that, but I highly doubt her being independent like that. She actually already went through her independent stage. In which she wouldn't come to me and I had to re-teach it. Kora in her personality and one reason she can be a service dog and many other husky may not she does not like to be independent. She want to be by me at all times. That's how I knew that she'd do well. She is literally a lap dog, or maybe a large fuzzy cat. :P

I do understand that, but I highly doubt her being independent like that. She actually already went through her independent stage. In which she wouldn't come to me and I had to re-teach it. Kora in her personality and one reason she can be a service dog and many other husky may not she does not like to be independent. She want to be by me at all times. That's how I knew that she'd do well. She is literally a lap dog, or maybe a large fuzzy cat. :P

Well, then...you're very lucky! Cherish that in her! :)

But remember that her prey instinct can always take over if/when she sees an animal...even if she's trained to not go after them. They can slip up sometimes...

I wish you luck in your training...is there a 'service dog training centres' (I don't know what they're really called) where you can take her for advice or even training?

Perhaps the American Red Cross offers training programs for service dogs?? (You do live in the U.S, right??)

We're just trying to explain to you that no matter how 'different' she is from huskies or how much of an exception she may be, other members have thought the SAME way and have lost their huskies. And you said that she already went through her independent stage? It's not a stage, its a personality. Like others members have mentioned, would it be that hard to clip the leash to your belt for added safety in case you drop it, or have a back-up plan? Sorry, but we're just trying to share our experiences and look out for you.

Edited by Mobezilla

I am just going to stop talking about Kora's training all together on here. It seems no matter how I word it I still get responses of people saying I shouldn't do that. Even after I explain that it is a task she has to do. Thank you.

what u have to understand that the topic of huskies and being offleash is a very sensitive topic , all we hear is horror stories about things happening , like u nearly experienced today , you were very lucky she came back , if it was me i would do what staceybob has said , and have her lead attached to you so if u do collapse she cant run away n get hurt

I am just going to stop talking about Kora's training all together on here. It seems no matter how I word it I still get responses of people saying I shouldn't do that. Even after I explain that it is a task she has to do. Thank you.

Whether she "has" to do it or not, her safety still comes into it and I personally value my girl so much that if I knew I could collapse, I would have to have her attached to me for comfort.

Out of interest, if you intended your dog to be of such importance for your health, why did you not purchase a medically trained dog that has been bought up by professionals to do this? I know they're expensive but I was just wondering.

There are huskies that work in this field, but they are an unlikely breed to pick for the job. I have my Siberian husky as my best friend but she is also my therapy dog. I never intended for her to be so important to my health but she started reacting naturally to my health responses and then I realized how much I need her in my life but I've never had to train her for a life or death situation.

Stacey xxx

Too bad you are going to give up listening to those of us that have had and lost huskies. From your signature it appears your dog is not even a year old. If you come back a year from now and are still always successful, we will still ask you to be careful, but the responses may be different. Read the story from [MENTION=5355]Al Jones[/MENTION] and how he lost his girl, even when she always came back. He doesn't know what happened to her...do you want to risk that?

I took Kora on a long leash walk today to work on her commands off leash. She needs to learn this as it is very important to have a firm recall off leash, if I drop the leash due to passing out or have to have her leave me to get help. She is on a 40' leash and she follows certain commands just for this such as "this way", "too far", etc. We walked to the end of our pier where we live (right next to a marina) and Kora caught herself on benches, I dropped the leash and commanded "wait" (which doesn't mean stay it just means don't move too far or don't pass this threshold). She waited. I got the leash and unwrapped it and we were on our way. But then my hand seized up and I accidentally dropped the leash, I panicked because she went trotting ahead of me not giving her the correct commands I said "no" and "ahh ahh ahh" then said "too far" but she was already right next to my mother who had her hands full. Kora paused and waited next to my mom as the "too far" command told her too. But then she saw me moving towards her and thought it was okay to move again but she went running towards the park. Boy did my heart stop, while this was at night there were cars in the parking lot and people in the park. I stop and yelled "Kora! Come!" Then bent down and opened my arms. She whipped and around and bolted at the same speed towards me. (not stopping mind you I had to jump out of the way)

I am tearing up right now. I am so proud of her, she followed the commands and did them with such precision that it makes me feel I am doing good with training her. She is still a puppy so I am not angry at her for wanting to run and play that's just what she does, but I am so happy that even while she is playing and ignoring the world around her she still hears me. <3 <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seriously this seems to be the only forum I post in. The training forum. Multiple times I have sat there like where else should I post today........ I come up flat. >.>;;

P.S. The title is refurring to the best time to prove what you have learned is in the midst of action. So to prove that Kora would come to matter what she would have to run away first.

UInfortunatly the issue you have is that you have the wrong breed of dog. Its not something we are saying to be nasty or contredict you etc in any way. A lot people on here are saying this through years and years of experience. Yes of course you can go ahead with training recall, and if it comes to that you should always do so. However a husky is a breed that should never be trusted to walk offlead. Its not a personality or indipendance thing as you seem to have picked up on here, its an instinct thing. Siberian Huskies training in this way should not be treated as any other dog. Even the people who has success in this area will tell you the same. They are stubborn, independant and instinct driven.

Again we do not say this for any other reason than people have done the same over and over and over again on here and their dogs have eventually been killed or never returned. We say this because we care and not for any other reason.