Hi, I'm new :)

KBS

Hi, I have been thinking about getting a husky puppy. I have done heaps of research within this lovely breed.

I do live alone, work from home most days. I have spoken to the breeder who currently has a litter of puppies. I do live in a 2 bed ground floor apartment with a paved courtyard. I am an active walker so the pup would get loads of exercise!

The breeder doesn't see it being a problem with living in an apartment, and, I was also thinking of crate training her and also, obviously, puppy training classes..

Anyone have any suggestions? Am I getting the right breed?

I would not know why not as you are prepared and good for you for doing your research...and if you have any questions there is tons of people on HO that can answer any question you have...

Welcome : ). It is a very good thing you did your research and know what you are getting into. There are tons of websites on their behavior and how to react to things. If you need any help with something that comes along the way just ask. Most of us can help you out and would be more than glad to : ) Good luck on your first husky and hope to see pictures.

Hi and welcome to the forum. As long as you are well informed and do your homework (which you are doing just by being here :) ) you will know what to expect from a husky. They aren't all as destructive or hyper as a lot of the websites claim them to be - with the right diet, exercise, training and interaction with the family (you), they are an absolute pleasure to have around. They are stubborn, but also very funny, intelligent and loving - the perfect dog to have around 24/7 :)

welcome!

One issue I would see with having a sib in an apartment would be their tendency to "talk". My girl howls and carries on with her Akita friends when we aren't home. Being a puppy, your new dog may not be much inclined to control her volume, and it may take a lot of training and patience to teach her indoor manners.

welcome!

One issue I would see with having a sib in an apartment would be their tendency to "talk". My girl howls and carries on with her Akita friends when we aren't home. Being a puppy, your new dog may not be much inclined to control her volume, and it may take a lot of training and patience to teach her indoor manners.

That depends on the dog tho, my two rarely make any noise what so ever , only time blaze makes a noise is when it's time for a walk that's it

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

Hello and welcome. :) so glad to hear you did your research before deciding to get a husky. I learned a lot about the breed from doing research online but i learned even more from simply being on this forum. Lots of great people here with lots of great advice if ever needed. Good luck with everything and remember to share some pictures when you finally get your pup. We love pictures :)

Hi and welcome to the forum. As long as you are well informed and do your homework (which you are doing just by being here :) ) you will know what to expect from a husky. They aren't all as destructive or hyper as a lot of the websites claim them to be - with the right diet, exercise, training and interaction with the family (you), they are an absolute pleasure to have around. They are stubborn, but also very funny, intelligent and loving - the perfect dog to have around 24/7 :)

Sure ... and at the moment I'd be glad to send you my female - - - want her?? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum! I think that as long as you are well informed about the breed and know what your getting into you should be fine!

It sounds like you have done your research. Crate training is essential, as well as training classes. I can’t say how much that helped me started out. It will be a lot of work, but it is extremely rewarding! I don’t see an issue with you living in an apartment either, I live in a town home with not a big outdoor space, but as long as you have some sort of output for their energy they will do great!

I live in an apartment and Yuki has no problem with it, she was raised in it and adjusted quite well :) I just make sure she gets out loads of times during the day so she can run around and play like crazy (unless its raining then we only go out once or twice, and she still plays like crazy). Also, I saw you said you were an active walker - the rule is 5 minutes per month. At 8 weeks he/she can only walk for 10 minutes. You could probably take two walks a day if one isn't enough although Yuki was fine with one walk in the afternoon, it tuckered her out. I'm not sure when the rule stops applying though, maybe one year? Anyway welcome to the forum, can't wait to see pictures! Good luck with the new pup!

Hi KBS

I think a lot of owners might say"huskies are not the breed for you"; we were in the same boat 14 weeks ago and, 7 weeks ago we collected two husky puppies. I believed that crating was a prudent measure but it just didn't work and quickly I came to feel it wasn't fair as they really didn't have anywhere to poo and, considering they're very clean animals, we didn't want to have them stuck too close to their mess. Looking back, we made the right decision to collapse the crate and stick it in the shed and to give them the run of the downstairs and garden (I just have to live with the digging!!).

Both I and my wife work from home more often than not, but there are times when we have to leave them on their own and as long as it's not for more than an hour or so, it works. But having said that, our huskies have each other to play with and they are good company for each other. They do need plenty of stimulation and interesting walks. I'm getting up at 5.45 am every day to walk ours and we try to walk them again in the daytime and possibly the evening too (but not far as they are still puppies and it’s bad for their joints) ... our walks are more meanders and sniffing sessions.

We found it very hard in the first few weeks and it was worse than having kids what with the poo and wee (but I guess that's true of any puppy) - it's hard work but very rewarding. Our two are 20 weeks old now and the garden is covered in poo even though we take them out for walks - so I think having a yard could prove interesting as you might not have a good toilet area. You have to let them out every 30 minutes or so when they're puppies as they can’t control their movements (but again this is a puppy thing, not just a husky thing).

In my view, breeders don't always tell you everything and I'm surprised they've suggested to you that a flat and paved courtyard is suitable. We have 8 cats and I think they're just about suited to an apartment/courtyard lifestyle.

As you have may have seen, there is plenty of information on the Internet about Huskies, and many people seem to spend most of their time telling how much hard work they are and why you should think twice before getting one. Once upon a time I found this irritating - now I understand as it is said in the interests of the hound not the owner - It simply wouldn't be fair to coup a husky up and expect it to behave or thrive.

I don't wish to appear negative, I just want you to hear a new owners story.

Our lives have been changed beyond doubt and the love we get from our Huskies is immeasurable but, we have to put 150% in to get the best from them. My wife and I find ourselves scrambling to get home from our respective jobs during the day to make sure someone is always there to cover (or at the very least, we work to make sure they aren't left alone for too long) and that can be very stressful. Your life is no longer your own and “popping out” becomes difficult which I guess (as I said earlier) is just like having kids again.

Good luck :-)

Edited by pm620wh