Anything we, as a forum could help with...

Mollys_mum

I read this the other day, and wondered if we could all help in some way:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2241079/Mother-Vickie-Robins-Quedgeley-Gloucestershire-starves-visits-Foodbank-ensure-children-eat.html

Any ideas, folk?

It'd be nice to send this family a parcel/cheque W.H.Y from us all.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's so sad but it's the way this world is going at the moment, more and more families are going to suffer befor this is over. Every thing goes up but our wages. I know i'm so glad i don't have kids at home any more i couldn't afford them.

But hey it's christmas so if you could find an address i'd send the boys a gift from santa xxxx

I bet theres loads of families in the same position or worse especially this time of year.

I was a single mum once and I had hardly any money, anything I got jordon had to be bought for in catalogues and paid off weekly. and before that I was in a council flat.

they have a nice house.

Thanks, Val!x

Like you, or anyone else on here, I have no idea who this family is. However, they have gone the extra mile and asked for help.

How good would it be to send this family a parcel of some sort as a community of Husky owners, that have all come together to do something nice for the wider community?

We are a community - can we make it happen?

Personally, I think its more important to get the family some food, or even money for food, so the mother doesn't kill herself from malnutrition. Because if she does kill herself...then who's to look after the kids?

There are lots of families like this, unfortunately...

I give every year to charities that evenly distribute donations to families like that one in need.

I don't know...

This comes to mind:

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.

Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

We want the mother to, ideally, eat for a lifetime.

(Judging by the picture shown on the link, that looks like a nice home. Why not just sell the home and move into a smaller one? Better than damaging your health.)

I don't know...

This comes to mind:

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.

Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

We want the mother to, ideally, eat for a lifetime.

(Judging by the picture shown on the link, that looks like a nice home. Why not just sell the home and move into a smaller one? Better than damaging your health.)

i agree. my point exactly. nice home, fish tank, dog or cat bowls in photo.

doesnt exactly scream poverty

I think ultimately they're going to have to realise they can't afford to live there now which is a shame. I feel sorry for them as I've been in a similar situation but it concerned me, Aleu and my ex's well being. We struggled for food and were in increasing debt. My exs mum did the odd food parcel every now and again which helped but it was probably when my mental health became it's worst and I wasn't coping very well at all. We tried all sorts of agencies to get help and couldn't get anything.

I'd have been extremely grateful for a food parcel at the time, so if you want to put one together, I'll help.

Stacey xxx

Not sure about in the UK, but here, when someone loses a job like that, there is unemployment insurance. I'm confused by something she says about not going to her work party, but if she's not working, why would she be going? Sometimes with kids, it's just better to be honest about Christmas gifts, etc.

Not sure about in the UK, but here, when someone loses a job like that, there is unemployment insurance. I'm confused by something she says about not going to her work party, but if she's not working, why would she be going? Sometimes with kids, it's just better to be honest about Christmas gifts, etc.

I thought this.

They refer to her as Jobless, but if you look it says "Mr Robins, 31, and his wife have a total monthly income of £1,400 from their part-time work - Mr Robins works 40 hours a week as a landscape gardener and Mrs Robins works 30 hours a week as a carer." So I'm not sure why they are saying she's out of work.

Stacey xxx

I don't think we've got the full story on this - look at the clothes, the items in the background on the pics, what debts do they have that we don't know about?

There's always 2 sides to a story imo, don't get me wrong i think they are in an awful situation and that it has to be so hard for them, but families everywhere are struggling, is there a main place we can send a big parcel to so it can help more than one family?

See I'm so torn because part of me is like - when I was there, I'd have loved the help, but at the same time, I can't help but feel like she is no worse off than anyone else at the minute and she is choosing to remain in this position by keeping up the large mortgage.

Stacey xxx

40 hours a week is full time, I work part time - 22.5 hours a week.

This story doesn't add up, why would they have child care bills if she lost her job?

Yes they may have got the dog or fish or surround sound system when they had more money, but the fish tank uses up electricity, they could sell it and make some money, same with the surround sound. Sell the house and either move into something smaller or rented.

i just don't get it.

Yeah, it seems sketchy to me especially now. I didn't read the whole article, so I missed the part where it said she's working 30 hours and he's working 40 hours.

Mr Robins, 31, and his wife have a total monthly income of £1,400 from their part-time work - Mr Robins works 40 hours a week as a landscape gardener and Mrs Robins works 30 hours a week as a carer. They spend £900 a month on the mortgage on their three-bedroom £140,000 home, and the rest is swallowed up by council tax, child care and bills.

I see an easy solution here. Sell your home and move into a smaller one (or rent one for the time being).

Like others said, I don't know how she's in a position that makes her special from lots of other people who actually DO live in poverty.

I know in Canada there are organizations you can donate to where they evenly distribute things they get to families in need. I don't know if they have anything like that in the UK.

it's maybe not so easy to sell their house in the current climate but I agree some things don't quite add up with the story. But I am sure there are loads of families who would love to receive a wee parcel for their kids this Christmas. Our local radio station usually do a thing at Christmas for the poorest families so that they can get a gift or some treats for Christmas. So it might be worth calling your local station.

Personally, i wouldn't do anything until the story is clarified and verified. If anything, I'd send something or make a donation to one of the many husky rescues over here. Tried to win something on an auction that they would have made a ton on, but someone way outbid me...and I went high into the $80s....it was won for $100.

hokay .... I've got some real mixed emotions here.

First, the amount that they make (converted) puts them into the low comfortable range here in the states. Admitted that may not be great in the UK, but they would be able to live on that here - again not great but livable.

I noticed that all the photos were from SWNS this is, among other things, a "Sell us your story" web site. While this story doesn't originate with SWNS, it really causes me to wonder.

Second, as others have noted, the surround sound, aquarium, etc while they may have been purchased earlier really set a tone that says "we're okay" which runs contrary to the tone of the story. Where's the dog, there are dog food bowls on the floor of the picture in the kitchen.

They aren't running the heat but she's running around in a short sleeved blouse - must be toasty warm in GB this time of year.

Lastly, being the only son of a single mother, I know how hard she had to work to put food on the table - and sometimes it was pretty basic food. There were times where it was more than just "rough" but she never put herself or me out as a front to get "help".

BTW, how much does it cost to go visit Father Christmas - they couldn't afford it ....

If this is an article to get people thinking about those who are really in need during this holiday season, from my point of view, they chose the wrong family.

Maybe I'm just awfully hard hearted, but there are others who would come higher on my list of needing help than them.