Your opinion on micro chipping?

HuskyGuerl

What do you think about micro chipping your dog? I have had three friends whom have got huskies from us and had them stolen from their back yard while at work. I do not want this to happen to mine and if it was I want a way to get them back home. Is this a good idea? Is there other ideas to prevent them from being stolen or to get them home after being stolen? this really has me worried considering un-known cars have been driving by at wierd hours of the night and people all around me keep getting their huskies stolen.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of ours have been chipped. In fact, next year we get a new law in the Netherlands that requires breeders to chip newborn puppies within 7 weeks after being born. It's hoped that it would make it easier to search for illegal trading/breeding this way, as well as locating owners of abused/abandoned dogs. I'm all for this rule.

Suka was chipped before I adopted him.

The prices range depending on the vet...I'd call around and ask. Perhaps try a vet college if you have one near you...sometimes their rates are cheaper.

I also heard about 'GPS' collars, but they're kinda useless if somebody steals your dog cause they could just take it off.

Mine is also micro chipped. Huskies are great escape artists you just never when when they will find a way out to run. They will usually run for a long time before they realize they are lost. So i would say getting your dog micro chipped is a great idea. Mine got out of the yard twice even though he was chained he somehow managed to get lose. He didnt go far from the house thank God but it was then i realized i should get him micro chipped just in case he ever did go missing. I havent had that problem anymore. My husband made the yard more secure. :)

Jessy's microchip and the tag that goes with it is what got her back to us. You do have to pay a monthly monitoring fee once the chip is installed. Don't ever leave your dog out in your garden/yard unsupervised. Mine are in and out a lot, but we always keep an eye on them especially since we have a walking path behind us.

Polee has 2 microchips (long story) and although not fool proof is does provide a much better chance of reuniting lost pets with their owner. I support compulsory micro chipping and believe all pets should have a log book to help to help trace their owners

Avalanche was chipped when I brought him home from the shelter, Sasha was chipped when I left her at the vet in Alpine who boards for me. I've been praying that someone would run Misty's chip and get her home to me, but it's been a year now so I've pretty much reconciled myself.

I will chip any dogs I have - it may not always work but it's a small price to pay for the extra help getting them home.

As for price - Sasha's chip cost me US$60 and will have a $19 yearly fee, Avalanche's fee is $17 per year or $49 for lifetime registration. A small price to pay.

I do believe in microchipping but my bigger belief in government conspiracy does not allow me to do this yet I hate the fact that they can track me on my cellphone my husband and I have talked about it but not yet decided.

:P

There are A LOT of options for microchipping and the prices vary widely. There is a one time fee at your vet to have the microchip implanted; my vet charged $39.00. Then you have to register the microchip, which you can register with multiple companies. AVID is a popular choice, and it is only a one time charge of $19.99, but if you change information they charge you $6 each time. Some companies charge an annual fee.

When I got Nikko he was already chipped and came with a lifetime subscription to helpmefindmypet. When I got Yukon I went to register him with the same company so I can keep them on the same account, and it cost me $79.95 for the lifetime subscription.

I think it is definitely worth it, especially since Huskies have a tendency to run off and are escape artists.