Your opinion on micro chipping?

HuskyGuerl

Micro chipping is required in my city.

Three years ago, a female dog got lost in Prague. She was micro chipped. Now, she has finally been found in a city called Kosice (different country, 8 hours by car) with local gypsies. And thanks to the chip she was identified. :)

I would get mined chipped anyway, it's a husky after all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarah is chipped but that isn't going to address your concern about your dog being stolen. The only way I know of to prevent that is to never, EVER have the dog outside alone for any length of time. I've been followed home twice by people who stopped me to ask about Sarah--is she registered, how old is she, etc. I know for a fact neither person lives anywhere around here and when they saw her walk inside with me they sped off and haven't been seen since.

Building a doggie prison is an option but there are wirecutters. . ..

Anyway, the best way to keep your dog safe from thieves is to keep her inside.

mine are chipped, along with my cat.

For several reasons, the boys because we take them abroad with us, and its required. if they get lost and their tags come off they have a chip with our details on.

The cat, and i know its a sad thought, but if she ever gets hit and someone takes her to a vet we can be found.

To be honest, i think that every time you take your pet to the vets, unless you're a regular they should be scanned, this could help find alot of stolen dogs. Every dog should be chipped...which reminds me, need to update my boys details

Ryn is chipped. My son has two dogs, a German Shorthair and a lab. The GS got away from him within 24 hours of him owning her. It was her chip that got her back home to him. Jenny is terrified of everything except bubbles and butterflies and my son. Thankfully, she is home, because of her chip. AND Brent got to meet her first owner because of her chip.....they take Jenny to see him at least once a year. he gave her up because he couldn't take her hunting anymore because of his health. The owner after him allowed something to happen and Jenny will never hunt again, due to her intense fear. Now she lives as a lap dog with my son, Brent and they are both happy.

The thing to remember with chips is that they can sometimes move around (in odd cases), some can even stop working. It's imperative that each time you go to the vet, you have the chip scanned so that you know it's working and so you know where it might have moved to. Knowing where it's moved to can also help identify your dog, should that happen.

I think your basic fear here, as I understand it, is the fear of them being stolen. As you know that huskies are being stolen in your area, you will need to take precautions as others have already suggested.

Best of luck, and please do chip your huskies!

EDIT: Another good way of assisting in identifying your huskies, should they be taken is to have photographs of them. A closeup of any identifying marks (for instance, my girl has a crescent shaped spot of white on her shoulder and a diamond of black on her tummy) I also have a closeup of her face and another of her nose. She also sits 'pecularly' so I have pics of how she sits. Any will assist in showing others that she is indeed my husky, should she ever be taken or get loose.

Edited by Austinville

Both of ours are chipped. Eisa came to us from a shelter, so she was already chipped by them. Zoya we had chipped by our vet. Zoya's chip was $50. Bear in mind, that in the US, there is no standard for chips. Each company has their own circuitry and coding. Some scanners can read all chips, and some can only read one or two types. So you might want to call a few shelters in your area and see what brands of chips they can scan for, then check with the local vets as well, to see what brands they insert.