Hi everyone newbie from mid Wales here

kermitthefrog

Hi all I am not a Husky owner yet but hope to be soon. Been looking into getting this breed for a very long time. Now my children are older I am thinking this might be the right time only problem is we have three cats. I have spoken to a few people and read up on other sites and they all seen to say the same Huskies and cats are a big no no. Just wondering if anyone on here has Huskies and cats that live together and get on fine. My cats are used to dogs as I have a nine year old lab and he adores them I was just hoping that if I got a young pup he would get used to them slowly. Also a friend suggested getting a Huskamute but I am unsure as they are a mix of the two breeds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!!

Welcome to the pack :D

We have a cat, she was here before my boys, Kimba and Kaiser we got as pups and they've grown up with her, we're very luck (so far) in that they've never really bothered her.

THEN we rehomed Koda October last year, he is obsessed! They can never be left alone with her and the boys are crated whenever we go out or go to bed.

IMO huskies and cats CAN live in the same house, but you must be so very very careful and always prepare yourself for the inevitable - it's in their nature at the end of the day x

Hi and welcome :) I dont have a cat my husband doesnt like cats idk why they are cute and furry. Max doesnt like cats either if he sees a cat he turns into Koojo the dog :P but thats just how it is with my husky. He doesnt like small dogs either *giggle* he just doesnt like small animals.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There

We are now the proud parents of two male huskies, they're 20 weeks old and have lived with us now for about 8 weeks. WE ALSO HAVE EIGHT CATS!!!

We were worried just like you about how this would work out - I felt guilty as sin and for a while before the puppies arrived, I felt as if I'd betrayed the cats.

We pressed on regardless and made a few preparations just to be on the safe side.

1. We put a wooden stair-gate at the bottom of the stairs and removed one of the spindles so that the cats could get through - the thought process was that the cats could retreat upstairs without being hassled by the puppies if they wanted their own space or, if they were being chased.

2. We moved the cat bowls onto the landing; the reason for this was to prevent the dogs eating the cat food (we've always left the bowls down for the cats so we didn't want to ruin their routine especially with two puppies entering the scene as well).

I do think that, providing you get puppies (or a rescue that has lived with cats), you will be fine. The puppies do chase the cats but only to play and on two or three occasions they've caught up with the cats but they do nothing more that place a paw on them as if to say "tag - you're it" .. they never follow anything through.

The cats have had mixed reactions to the dogs and to begin with, they weren't impressed AT ALL and they all moved upstairs (except for one cat named Yoda, who is very smart - she sits amongst the dogs and pretty much has declared herself in charge). The dogs watch the cats all the time and it's hard to know what they're thinking but they only chase the cats if the cats dart off quick (and as I explained earlier, they don't do much when they catch them). The dogs are still young so of course, this could all change but I very much doubt it as by the time they're adults, they will have spent a long time together and I think they will see the cats as "part of the pack". Besides, the cats can (and do) stick up for themselves and when they hiss at the dogs and bat a paw, the dogs scarper quick time!!

All said, our experience so far is a good one.

Good luck from all of us

Paul, Debbie, Thomas, Minxie, Yoda, Oboe, Jess, Atomic, Heff, Teddy, Looby, Bear and Ajax!!

post-8869-13586085384455_thumb.jpg

Edited by pm620wh

Hello from north wales!!! Well I have three dogs one being a husky and one cat. My cat is quite bold and put my husky Meeko in his place as a pup. Now they do play quite rough together but the cat gives as good as he gets. I would not totally 100 percent trust any of the dogs alone with the cat ( they are separated when I'm out) but just last week my cat had gone to sleep in Meekos crate which I didn't realise and I locked Meeko and the cat in there together, and they just slept peacefully together:) not gonna lie though I was terrified when I realised they were in together and now always double check the cat has not cuddled up in there:s.

Hi and welcome :) I rescued my girl and was told she hated cats and not to put her with them but I took the chance and my cat and husky get along just fine they chase each other through the house share food take up my whole bed together lol they love each lol