Just when you think your dog won't do it...

Removed #2

Why do you think that's the reason people let their dogs off leash? There are number of reasons why I'd work my dogs off leash, none of which have anything to do with proving to randoms I can train my dog to that level of reliability.

And that's one of the differences...you said you "work" your dogs off lead, not take them for a walk in the park off lead so the dog can get exercised!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that's one of the differences...you said you "work" your dogs off lead, not take them for a walk in the park off lead so the dog can get exercised!

Well firstly, I do let my dogs off leash to exercise, and secondly why is working a dog off leash any different?

Just my opinion' date=' but I am putting in a LOT of time and effort training Yuki. She is doing really good so far, on our walk today all I did was click once and she came running back to me. She was on a 50ft lead. At the dog park the same thing happened, I clicked once and she came back, I said 'go on' she went back to playing. Do I have to let her off lead just to prove I've trained her? Because I don't take Yuki off her leash, does it imply I DON'T have her trained, even when I am consistantly working with her on recall and obediance? Well I don't think its worth the risk.. because something can still happen to yes, even trained dogs.. sorry I think I'm just so adamant on the topic that I can't stop replying x.x I apologize[/quote']

My girls recall is quite good (work in progress) I take her out on a 30ft lead n she comes when I call , I will be honest n say I have let her offlead before, n she's helped a friends dog who wouldn't listen to him come back when I called her , but I don't let her off her lead anymore too many horror stories I know she has the recall but I use it for if she ever escapes , she doesn't need to be let offlead in any pic I've got ov me walking her she's happy and smiley so it doesn't bother her being on a lead she's just glad to be out n I'm happy knowing that I'm going back home with my dog ;-) I don't even let bings offlead so for me it's not even a breed thing

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

A lot of people that live near me take their dogs offlead in the field for 10/20 mins compared to people who walk onlead for an hour or so. So it seems where i live letting them run offlead is a cheats way of walking them. One person drove their dogs to a field, let them out into it and stood there by the gate!! how is that walking them??

I have contacted my local council to see if there is anywhere i can take mine to let them off safely. As i do feel walking them is not enough so i try find other ways to tire them out which with Skye at the moment is heel work just around where i live due to her being in season i dont want to take her far she loves it though and it really tires her out much better than her trying to drag me here there and everywhere for her to still have loads and loads of energy!

I have contacted my local council to see if there is anywhere i can take mine to let them off safely. As i do feel walking them is not enough so i try find other ways to tire them out which with Skye at the moment is heel work just around where i live due to her being in season i dont want to take her far she loves it though and it really tires her out much better than her trying to drag me here there and everywhere for her to still have loads and loads of energy!

I exercise my dogs to keep them fit and healthy, but I don't do it as a way of tiring them out as especially with my young pup she could go forever and ever and exercise just makes her fitter, requiring more exercise to 'tire' her.

One mode of exercise I find really works to give the dogs a work out and tire them fast is using exercise equipment such as FitPaws gear - google it if you haven't heard of it. It's like exercise balls for dogs and they are used often in therapy work to help dogs with injury and to increase a dog's muscle strength and overall fitness. It's a big workout for them and the average dog can tire within a couple of minutes of using the equipment.

More than anything training gives my dogs the best outlet for their energy as it's mental exercise as well as physical exercise.

I exercise my dogs to keep them fit and healthy, but I don't do it as a way of tiring them out as especially with my young pup she could go forever and ever and exercise just makes her fitter, requiring more exercise to 'tire' her.

One mode of exercise I find really works to give the dogs a work out and tire them fast is using exercise equipment such as FitPaws gear - google it if you haven't heard of it. It's like exercise balls for dogs and they are used often in therapy work to help dogs with injury and to increase a dog's muscle strength and overall fitness. It's a big workout for them and the average dog can tire within a couple of minutes of using the equipment.

More than anything training gives my dogs the best outlet for their energy as it's mental exercise as well as physical exercise.

I love how excited Skye gets when we are doing heel work (and i dont mean the loose leash i mean exactly like in your video except i do have a lead on her) she loves it looks so happy doing it! :D

The fitpaws gear looks interesting!

Why do I only see you @Bec doing obedience with a beagle....or am I missing something?

I only have one husky and he's an old man now - I never did competition with him, just trained him for fun.

ETA: It's funny, lots of beagle people say you can never train a beagle to be reliable off leash either.

Edited by Bec

Saurfang is 8mths old now and experiencing her first "season" she is on a gentle leader harness and a halti head collar and double lead,despite her training and walking to heel,it resembles walking "Buckaroo" as her hormones are raging and she wants loose,she is only getting short but frequent walks and it takes almost as long to get all her "gear" on.lets hope she goes back to being a "nice dog to walk"