Large or medium breed food?

BelleBot

I want switch Fenrir over to dry food as he's currently on wet from the breeder (pedigree puppy cans). I'm going to switch him over to Applaws dry as it's high meat content food, and we feed our cats the cat version and they're magnificently healthy with gorgeous coats. However I'm not sure whether to buy the applaws puppy food for small/medium sized breeds or for large breeds. I've read so many conflicting things over whether huskies as classed as a large or medium breed. My instinct is to go for large breed puppy food as Fenrir's father was huge. Any advice?

Do you know the estimated weight of the parents? Max weight for males is 60lb, but I know I've seen them getting a lot bigger in recent years. I feed prey model raw, but when we did kibble I preferred the medium sized kibble.

I'm glad you are switching your pup off the canned pedigree, can't believe the breeder had them on that stuff.

Don't know the weights of the parents, but the father was definitely on the large side for a husky, the mother I'd say was about average size for a female husky. Fenrir was apparently the biggest of the litter (and most playful) so I'll imagine he'll end up a big boy. I'll ask the breeder if he can weigh the parents for me.

Huskies are technically, a medium breed. The large breed foods may be OK, but they tend to provide nutrients that may push bone growth too quickly. Huskies don't fully develop until they are between 18 and 24 months of age, and slower growth provides a better skeletal foundation for adult life. It would be my recommendation to not go with the large breed formula.

See I've read that the large breed food promotes slower growth as dogs like great danes can take over 2 years to develop unlike small breeds that only take a year or so. But if huskies are definitely a medium breed I'll go with the small/medium puppy food. I guess what confused me is huskies can grow to over 50lbs which seems to be the cut off point for where a dog is either large or medium.

If only there was a medium/large breed food lol.

Mind you whichever will be better than his current diet.

Huskies are technically, a medium breed. The large breed foods may be OK, but they tend to provide nutrients that may push bone growth too quickly. Huskies don't fully develop until they are between 18 and 24 months of age, and slower growth provides a better skeletal foundation for adult life. It would be my recommendation to not go with the large breed formula.

I've heard this too.

See I've read that the large breed food promotes slower growth as dogs like great danes can take over 2 years to develop unlike small breeds that only take a year or so. But if huskies are definitely a medium breed I'll go with the small/medium puppy food. I guess what confused me is huskies can grow to over 50lbs which seems to be the cut off point for where a dog is either large or medium.

If only there was a medium/large breed food lol.

Mind you whichever will be better than his current diet.

I've seen a few purebred Sibes that are around 70 pounds.

Suka's 75 pounds, though to be fair I'm not sure if he's part Mal.

If you can, try to find out the weights of the parents (and if possible, the grandparents if they are still alive). This will help you decide what the likely weight range of your boy is.

But, if in doubt, I would go with the medium breed. You don't want to go with the small, because the small won't provide enough nutrients for him.

Well his father is around 30kg so 66lbs and his mother is still putting weight back on after nursing so can't get an accurate weight for her. His grandparents and further down the line were within standard weight ranges as several were champions, we've looked them up. But Fenrir will end up on the big side for a husky. I'm put off the medium breed food as its aimed at small dogs too. I could always feed a mixture of both. The large breed food has less calcium and protein in apparently to encourage slower growth.

Kodi is on Royal Canin Giant Junior at the moment as he's around 47 kgs. But, he's a pure breed Mal and a giant at that!!!! He was originally on large junior, but we upgraded him when he passed the max weight for it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk