Should i listen to other people?

juwana2012

Hi guys.

I've not long had my Husky, I got him about a week and a half ago. Hes a beautiful dog and full of life! Loves walks, playing, jumping up, fighting with the partner etc.

I've not noticed anything out of the ordinary with him and he seems perfectly healthy. I took him to a basket ball court today to have a run around, and one older lady (mid 60's) approached me, who had a 9 year old German Shepard.

She said what a lovely dog he was, but then said he looked stiff on his back. She said he's lifting his back legs up when he runs and looks stiff. I've never personally noticed this before. He looks perfectly fine to me?

She said her dog has hip dysplasia, & that i should keep an eye on my dog???? Random. She also said i should lightly kick his hips to see if he yells?! Im confused. He looks like he doesn't have any problem!!!!!!

When people say things to me like this is start to panic. He's not in any pain, runs fine, walks fine. & loves playing jumping. Not a symptom of anything bad.

Do Huskys hold there behind or whatever when they run etc?

Some one please give me some advice. :D

Ashleigh xx

post-8984-13586084213404_thumb.jpg

get him checked out by your Vet.

They will be able to test his range of motion and be able to tell you.

maybe if you could take a short video to show folk they might be better able to advise.

My 2 huskies both walk quite differently but are different shape and size - one is shorter and stocky and walks very purposfully whereas the other is much taller and leaner and walks with her lower legs slightly further apart. Both dogs can run equally well and neither have shown any signs of discomfort after lots of exercise so it might just be the way yours walks

lots of people like to give you their opinion whether you want it or not( even if they aren't qulified to give advice at all). Having said all that it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on things and get advice from long term husky owners.

I hope it's nothing to worry about and that someone can reassure you.

Add a video of him walking and trotting. And maybe a photo of him standing where we can see the side of him. If he's straight in the rear (back legs not angled well) it would make him look like he's walking funny, but doesn't mean he has HD. But HD is known to affect siberians. You vet can fell his hip sockets and might be able to tell or if you really want to know you can get his hips x-rayed and have the x-rays sent to OFA or whatever association you guys use in the UK.

I'll ditto the comments that HD is a known potential problem with Huskies and needs to be watched for.

As for peoples comments - you really have to ignore 99% of them! "Kick him in the hips and see if he yelps!" 'scuse me bith, while I kick you in the hips and see if you yelp! That was the point that I would have said "Thanks for the advice, but I have to go ..." (( If I hadn't already decided it was time to go! ))

Giving her some credit <??> since he dog has HD that she's watching, even subconsciously, for others that may have and wants to warn people so that they don't have the trauma in their lives that she has had - there really are better ways to go about it.

.... there are times I may feel like kicking my dog, but don't you tell me he needs kicking!! .... and no, if I "kick" avalanche it's in play and he knows it.

How old is your Husky...he is gorgeous by the way, though I am partial to beautiful red boys! I wouldn't pay much attention to a stranger without a Husky, might listen politely to a stranger with a Husky, but in a general health check your vet should do a HD screening anyway. And by all means, don't kick your boy!

Thanks for all your comments guys!

To me, he looks fine, but i've booked in him for a general health check at the vets tomorrow morning, to be on the safe side. What are the effects of HD?

My boy has arthritis, but its suspected to develop in HD because its been getting worse really quickly. He was diagnosed with arthritis at only 4 years old....

Anyways...

HD is a very painful condition. Basically, its a degenerate disease that affects the hips. Eventually resulting in them not being able to walk properly or at all...

I'll let this site explain it...as just talking about it makes me feel depressed...

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/musculoskeletal/c_dg_hip_dysplasia

If you do take him to the vet, let us know what happens.

im curious about this. My seven month old walks with her back legs very stiff, much different than my other sibe. She doesn't really bend her knees much. I never thought much of it. I'm gonna chat with my vet too about it. Akira doesn't seem uncomfortable though. Runs just fine.

If you do take him to the vet, let us know what happens.

im curious about this. My seven month old walks with her back legs very stiff, much different than my other sibe. She doesn't really bend her knees much. I never thought much of it. I'm gonna chat with my vet too about it. Akira doesn't seem uncomfortable though. Runs just fine.

That's the thing...dogs are very good at hiding pain. Especially if they've been born with it, because they've known the pain their whole lives so its easier to hide.

Suka doesn't seem uncomfortable either...but I know he is just by his gait, how he moves his hips from side to side when he walks (looks kinda like a butt wiggle...), how his back legs 'swing' out with every step.

I sincerely hope none of your dogs develop HD. And, if they do have it, that they like water...hydrotherapy is one of the best things that can help because its almost no stress on the joints (Suka hates water... :( )

She also said i should lightly kick his hips to see if he yells?!

When people say things to me like this is start to panic.

Some one please give me some advice. :D

Ashleigh xx

i think kicking any dog would make it cry in shock

people love to give advice, and in my opinion generally it is not good advice. if you have any concerns go to the vets. tell him you are concerned about hip dysplasia and he will examine your dogs hips.

hip dsyplasia is a huge problem in german shepherds and i think she is probably projecting her concerns onto your boy.

not all huskys run the same. one of mine has a funny run yet her hips are fine

Edited by davidjk

Hi guys! I took Juwana to the vets last night, got a earlier appointment! We went and the vet made me walk him up and down and also in a slow trot! We did so and the vet said he looked fine etc, and asked me to take a video of him and bring it to them. Luckily enough i had a video on my phone of him walking and running really fast and the vet confirmed that he has got HD.

My dog doesnt show any symptoms or any signs of pain, but the way he runs he 'bunny hops' and hold his back legs together. He does this to stop the joints causing him pain, as with dogs with HD they cannot move there joints without pain, so by holding them together this is stopping the pain and making it easier for the dog to move!

He has a mild condition and the vet has told me the coniditon wont worsen, just the pain. But if he starts to feel pain (at the moment he's okay) then he can be put on to regular pain killers. Also he said that 1-2% of dogs with severe conditions have the operation but it costs £1500 per leg, so about £3000. He said the operation is massive, but only done in severe cases.

Lucky enough, (if you can call this situation luck) hes not got a bad case of HD. He fines at the moment and his condition wont get worse. Hes very happy dog, and loves playing, jumping, walking, running etc.

The only thing i have to do different is shorten his walks from what they was.

Hope this helps, if anyones reading with the same problem, thankyou for all of your replies! :D

xxxx

Hi, the walks also should be consistent, like every walk let's say 30 minutes each not one 45 minutes, the others 30 m. and 1 hour. If you libe close by some pond or lake, get him to swim. :) Not when the water is really cold but it's a good way for them to exercise and yet they don't put any pressure on their legs. I don't know if you have stairs at home or somewhere but I would avoid them altogether, stairs are evil. :D

Dogs try to hide their pain because they don't want us to worry (and they want to run :D). :)

I'm really sorry he has HD. :(

Would it be possible to have an x-ray just to confirm the severity of it?

And I didn't catch his age...how old is he?

If you got him as a pup, if you can, please contact his breeder to tell them. If they are decent, they will not breed his parents anymore because HD is mostly genetic (but can develop from other factors...like overexercise as a puppy, wrong diet as a puppy (too much calcium), etc)

(Also, I don't know if you were thinking about it...but don't breed your boy either.)

Yes, you should cut down on his walking time. Also try to divide up his walking time more throughout the day if you can...less stress on the joints.

Also try to walk him on grass or dirt instead of the sidewalk/road. This is because grass/dirt has a slightly lower impact on the joints because they slightly 'give'. If you've ever ran on concrete, you'll notice your knees (especially) really hurt because concrete does not give an inch...so most of the shock goes back into your joints instead of into the ground.

Like already said, if he likes to swim, perhaps you can have him swim more often than walking. Besides being excellent cardio, swimming has almost no impact on their joints...so it is the #1 recommended treatment for dogs with joint problems.

Keeping his weight down is also very important. I keep my boy a pound or two below his 'healthy weight' because I find it causes less arthritis flareups. The concept is the same for HD as arthritis can develop into HD.

Exercise is also important (but NEVER overexercise him, that can and will make HD worse!) because the muscles help to support the joints. More muscles = more support.

The use of glucosamine/MSM supplements will help as well. I use Vermont Naturals: Hip + Joint XL

And I don't want to scare you...but HD causes arthritis (juvenile, in your case) which can made HD worse.

And yeah, I agree. Try to prevent him from going up stairs. If he goes for lots of car rides, buy a little 'ramp' where he can climb into the car instead of jumping in. (Jumping is discouraged in dogs that have HD)

More info on the management and treatment of HD:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/musculoskeletal/c_dg_hip_dysplasia?page=2

EDIT:

What did he mean by 'regular pain killers'? If he meant human pain killers - NO NO NO! Those can cause other severe problems...like kidney and liver failure.

I use 'Deramaxx' whenever Suka has an arthritic flare-up. It's a powerful anti-inflammatory. But I would only resort to pain meds as a last resort...they mask the pain so the dogs end up making their joint condition worse!

Edited by SolitaryHowl