Standard, Judging, and Snow noses ??

Tobeahuskymom

Hidee-ho. We are getting our first show pup soon, and the breeder has sent me some pics of the babies as they grow up. I have attached a pic of their noses, they are now 4 weeks old. As you can see, two of them have pink streaks, and one a very pronounced pink streak down the middle. How much do their noses change as they grow? Could be the weather? Will their noses always be like that? I have to admit, I don't like the look. :rolleyes:

I know snow noses are acceptable in the show ring, but how much is this taken into consideration when showing/judging the dog??

Just curious! Haven't even met them in person yet, and won't until they are 8 weeks old. I do trust our breeder to help us with all of this, but just want an opinion, please.

PS, I guess I should say that since this will be a pet first and foremost, personality is more important to me in the long run...I don't want to choose a dog based soley on looks for winning in the show ring!! ;) Thanks!

post-8729-13586084218229_thumb.gif

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This page might be helpful to you :)http://www.akc.org/breeds/siberian_husky/index.cfm

I don't think snow nose would be something they judge on but from what I've seen in judging, it really depends who the judge is for -any- competition. Also from what I've heard, since huskies are newer to the akc and so varied in color/markings they are not so strict in judging. In fact, there's only two short sentences for the "color" section on the site above lol

Yes, the same happened to Kai, his nose was all brown first and then his first winter he developed a snow nose and still has it, cant really offer any advice on showing as Kai is neutered and obviously i cant show him (eventhough i so wish i could!) But good luck on picking a pup :)

Snow noses are not a problem in the show ring, unless you are under a judge that just doesn't know the standard as well as they should which does on occasion happen. The problem noses are more like the pics of pup2 and pup3 where that appears to be more of a lack of pigment which is a fault not a snow nose. If you are going to want to show pick a pup with good structure over some cosmetics but keep the cosmetics in mind if you are considering breeding, poor pigmentation is starting to be linked to other more serious disorders.

Those photos don't look like what I would call snow nose. Our Zoya has a black nose, but lack of sun as the days grow shorter, and the colder temps that go along with them, her snow nose comes into bloom. The photos you've put up, appear to be pigment related; in that the colorization may be permenant, and not fluxuate as does a snow nose. But, if you don't plan to show, or breed, and simply want a pet, I would not give it another thought.

I'm not into the show ring, but I would kiss any of those noses. Jack came to us with a pitch black nose two years ago and now has a beautiful snow nose. Andy, our carrot top ginger boy has a permanent snow nose and jessy is just starting to show a little pink at the bottom, so based on choosing your dog's nose from it's puppy nose, I'm not sure you can.

Snow noses are not a problem in the show ring, unless you are under a judge that just doesn't know the standard as well as they should which does on occasion happen. The problem noses are more like the pics of pup2 and pup3 where that appears to be more of a lack of pigment which is a fault not a snow nose. If you are going to want to show pick a pup with good structure over some cosmetics but keep the cosmetics in mind if you are considering breeding, poor pigmentation is starting to be linked to other more serious disorders.[/quote

What sort of disorders???

Poor pigmentation is being linked to disorders like Hair Follicle Dystrophy where the dog basically loses all of it's hair and it does not grow back. Also things like weak pads are linked to poor pigmentation. Just things to be aware of, especially if this were to be a potential breeding candidate.

My Ozzy too, seems like most (orange/apricot) copper huskies have the same noses - LOVE our reds :D
Yehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, go reds woop, woop woop! :bananadance1: oh yeah but twin Leon the grey also has a beatiful snow nose but not quite as pink as Taiya's - go grey's too woop, woop, woop:cheerleader:

Just a note: not picking out our pup until 8 weeks or 9. Just watching them grow. If you want to see parents I will PM. Don't feel right posting breeder publically as it is not fair to her or her reputation.

Very good call on your part, and you are right, it would not be fair to the breeder, and would most likely be stricken by one of the staff.

I just wanted to post a little bit of Hair Follicle Dystrophy linked to hyper-pigmentation of the skin-

This dog you can see the hyper-pigmentation of the nose and lips-

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65606[/ATTACH]

The end result-

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65605[/ATTACH]

That's worrying. Because it seems Suka has permanently developed a 'snow nose' that hasn't gone away for the past 2 years. It does fade a LITTLE bit during the spring/summer...but its always there now.

Here are a few pictures for comparison:

post-3404-13586084385037_thumb.jpg

- A few days after we got him. Notice the pitch black nose. It was like that for a year, I think (judging by the pictures), before it started to change. (April 2009 - 4 years old)

post-3404-13586084386266_thumb.jpg

- almost 1 year after I got him. (January 2010)

post-3404-13586084386853_thumb.jpg

- a month after that (February 2010)

post-3404-13586084388413_thumb.jpg

- August 2011

post-3404-13586084385549_thumb.jpg

- April 2012 (looks about the same as it does now - 7 years old)

See how its been "spreading"? Is it something to worry about? Or is it just because of age?His fur and coat are healthy. Besides his arthritis, he's in great health.

His gums are also spotty (black and pink)...but I was told that was normal?

(You've got me all worried now, even though its probably nothing! lol)

His gums should not be spotty, that to me indicates he has a pigment issue. I'd keep watch on the spreading of the hyper-pigmentation. Luckily HFD seems to be a more rare thing but the dog that I posted was fine until he turned 12...they said prior to that his black hair turned redish brown and then started falling out.

His gums should not be spotty, that to me indicates he has a pigment issue. I'd keep watch on the spreading of the hyper-pigmentation. Luckily HFD seems to be a more rare thing but the dog that I posted was fine until he turned 12...they said prior to that his black hair turned redish brown and then started falling out.

Here's an old picture of his gums...

post-3404-13586084389946_thumb.jpg

I'll keep an eye on him, thanks! Is there anything that can be done to prevent it (if he does have it)? Or is it a genetic thing?

Oh, and he doesn't really 'blow' his coat either. He sheds year round...though during the fall/spring the shedding is slightly heavier than normal.

Here's an old picture of his gums...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65655[/ATTACH]

I'll keep an eye on him, thanks! Is there anything that can be done to prevent it (if he does have it)? Or is it a genetic thing?

Oh, and he doesn't really 'blow' his coat either. He sheds year round...though during the fall/spring the shedding is slightly heavier than normal.

Sorry you said gums I thought lips. Gums can be spotty, lips should not be. HFD is genetic and some breeders and studies are starting to link the disorder in some forms to poor pigmentation. There is no known treatment of the disorder that I have found or heard of. Which is why it's so important to choose good pigment in a breeding candidate.