nurse found dead

Sarah

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you imagine all the reporters camped out side her house wanting the "story" plus all the possible hateful tweets she might have been getting.

This is more terrible than that because she had two children who will remember Christmas forever as the most horrible possible time for the rest of thier lifes.

I just saw that on our news services. What a tragic event. I hope those nitwits from the Aussie station live with this for the rest of their lives.

See nobody at all seems to feel sorry for the presenters themselves. I do. Why? Because this kinda thing goes on within every radio station all over the world, and it just happens to be this woman, on this station, and these presenters they will be made scapegoats of. They are there doing their jobs in the way that many other radio presenters do. What needs to change is the culture of radio if anything.

It is tragic yes, however I honestly dont believe the radio presenters are to blame. If anything the culture of it being ok to do this on radio stations is to blame.

See nobody at all seems to feel sorry for the presenters themselves. I do. Why? Because this kinda thing goes on within every radio station all over the world, and it just happens to be this woman, on this station, and these presenters they will be made scapegoats of. They are there doing their jobs in the way that many other radio presenters do. What needs to change is the culture of radio if anything.

It is tragic yes, however I honestly dont believe the radio presenters are to blame. If anything the culture of it being ok to do this on radio stations is to blame.

I sort of agree with you [MENTION=1]Marc[/MENTION] but for in this case play a prank on me or someone famous but don't do it on a girl that is doing her job and to Royalty NO am sorry that's just wrong IMO

As for being scapegoats it looks like the station could go under for it never mind the presenters ( GOOD ) maybe the rest will learn from it :@

Sadly, it didn't do Jonathan Ross or Russell Brand any harm when they pranked Andrew Sachs, if anything it gave them more notoriety and commanded bigger pay awards and opened doors to new opportunities.

I'm aware the scale of consequences is completely different and I'm sure both these intellectually sound and morally commendable DJ's will be telling themselves it wasn't them, she chose to do what she did. They stated they had terrible English accents and never expected to be put through to the ward.. So why even attempt to waste precious nurse time?

I'm only surmising, but having read the nurses name and the fact she was in hospital nurse accommodation, but had a family. I'd suggest she was possibly not English born an bred but from another country. So when she heard these 'terrible accents' she had no real previous experience to refer to and put the call through to the ward. We've all grown up at one point or another hearing the 'Royals' oddly distinctive way of speaking. But even then would we have the confidence to dismiss someone claiming to be the Queen?

I hope these two narcissistic egotistical mercenary self centred self serving morons fade into utter obscurity and live out their lives in an utterly mundane and meagre way. But I know that pigs will fly before that happens lol

Sadly, it didn't do Jonathan Ross or Russell Brand any harm when they pranked Andrew Sachs, if anything it gave them more notoriety and commanded bigger pay awards and opened doors to new opportunities.

I'm aware the scale of consequences is completely different and I'm sure both these intellectually sound and morally commendable DJ's will be telling themselves it wasn't them, she chose to do what she did. They stated they had terrible English accents and never expected to be put through to the ward.. So why even attempt to waste precious nurse time?

I'm only surmising, but having read the nurses name and the fact she was in hospital nurse accommodation, but had a family. I'd suggest she was possibly not English born an bred but from another country. So when she heard these 'terrible accents' she had no real previous experience to refer to and put the call through to the ward. We've all grown up at one point or another hearing the 'Royals' oddly distinctive way of speaking. But even then would we have the confidence to dismiss someone claiming to be the Queen?

I hope these two narcissistic egotistical mercenary self centred self serving morons fade into utter obscurity and live out their lives in an utterly mundane and meagre way. But I know that pigs will fly before that happens lol

@Marc, I felt the same way too...but I didn't want to say anything cause this is a UK-dominated forum...I was afraid I would be blasted! But I completely agree with you.

Just heard on the news...the 2 radio show DJs haven't been seen or heard from for days...until they were reported this morning to be found in a small hotel, looking and acting 'completely shattered' and devastated. They have seen numerous psychiatrists and I think I heard one of them is on an anti-depressant medication.

So - its obvious the DJs didn't want this - they were just doing their job. They aren't evil people...I feel sorry for them, they didn't deserve this. Neither did the nurse.

Nobody knew she would kill herself, it was just supposed to be a harmless prank...now its a complete disaster with both sides suffering.

Edited by SolitaryHowl

@Marc, I felt the same way too...but I didn't want to say anything cause this is a UK-dominated forum...I was afraid I would be blasted! But I completely agree with you.

Just heard on the news...the 2 radio show DJs haven't been seen or heard from for days...until they were reported this morning to be found in a small hotel, looking and acting 'completely shattered' and devastated. They have seen numerous psychiatrists and I think I heard one of them is on an anti-depressant medication.

So - its obvious the DJs didn't want this - they were just doing their job. They aren't evil people...I feel sorry for them, they didn't deserve this. Neither did the nurse.

Nobody knew she would kill herself, it was just supposed to be a harmless prank...now its a complete disaster with both sides suffering.

Sorry I disagree, it wasn't in the least harmless, it was intrusive, childish, cheap and petty minded. If one of your family members was admitted to hospital how would you feel if a similar 'prank' was done to you and your family.. Very different I would think.

Sorry I disagree, it wasn't in the least harmless, it was intrusive, childish, cheap and petty minded. If one of your family members was admitted to hospital how would you feel if a similar 'prank' was done to you and your family.. Very different I would think.

I do agree it was violating privacy, but I still don't believe its the DJs' fault. If anything, the radio station is to blame for putting the DJs up to it:

The prank had been cleared by the Australian radio station's lawyers. Holleran said the DJs followed the company's procedures before broadcasting the call.

"2Day FM sincerely apologizes for any inconvenience caused by the inquiry to Kate's hospital. The radio segment was done with lighthearted intentions," the station said in a statement earlier.

The Sydney radio station - famous for its pranks and outrageousness - has suspended all advertising in the face an advertising boycott.

Last spring, the station was warned by Australia's broadcast regulator about its violations of the "decency provision" of the country's broadcast code.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/jacintha-saldanhas-death-australian-djs-royal-prank-face/story?id=17917397#.UMTXzbamD6Y

EDIT:

Besides, they're the Royal Family. They don't really have much privacy to begin with - the whole world was already buzzing with the news...and we didn't hear anything we didn't know already: Kate was in the hospital for morning sickness, yeah okay, she's going to get better. Great.

Edited by SolitaryHowl

The point is that its nothing different to the actions of every radio station in just about every country in the western world. Childish or not it was their job.

We have to agree to differ on that one

So you're saying the radio station isn't to blame? Whatsoever?

The Sydney radio station -- famous for its pranks and outrageousness -- has suspended all advertising in the face an advertising boycott.

Last spring, the station was warned by Australia's broadcast regulator about violations of the "decency provision" of the country's broadcast code.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/jacintha-saldanhas-death-australian-djs-royal-prank-face/story?id=17917397&page=2#.UMTZtramD6Y

The radio station, along with a lot of stations around the world, pull pranks all the time to boost their ratings. They would tell their DJs if they don't do it, they are fired...because radio DJs are easily replaceable. This one was just blown way out of proportion because:

a) The nurse committed suicide

B) It was against the Royal Family, whom for reasons that are lost to me, are above the average person.

Besides, they're the Royal Family. They don't really have much privacy to begin with - the whole world was already buzzing with the news...and we didn't hear anything we didn't know already: Kate was in the hospital for morning sickness, yeah okay, she's going to get better. Great.

So you're saying the radio station isn't to blame? Whatsoever?

http://abcnews.go.com/International/jacintha-saldanhas-death-australian-djs-royal-prank-face/story?id=17917397&page=2#.UMTZtramD6Y

The radio station, along with a lot of stations around the world, pull pranks all the time to boost their ratings. They would tell their DJs if they don't do it, they are fired...because radio DJs are easily replaceable. This one was just blown way out of proportion because:

a) The nurse committed suicide

B) It was against the Royal Family, whom for reasons that are lost to me, are above the average person.

I wasn't replying to you at that point Elyse, I was replying to Marc.

As for the station, I don't believe at any point previously I've suggested the two DJ's were the only ones responsible. The station heads, its legal team who ok'd the making of the call and subequent broadcast are all equally responsible. Unfortunately we don't see or hear those people, like the "Royals" who are in the public, the two DJ's are also in the public and took a huge gamble to promote themselves to a higher level and lost.

And the Royals do have privacy, William and Harry gained theirs after the death of their mother

I wasn't replying to you at that point Elyse, I was replying to Marc.

As for the station, I don't believe at any point previously I've suggested the two DJ's were the only ones responsible. The station heads, its legal team who ok'd the making of the call and subequent broadcast are all equally responsible. Unfortunately we don't see or hear those people, like the "Royals" who are in the public, the two DJ's are also in the public and took a huge gamble to promote themselves to a higher level and lost.

And the Royals do have privacy, William and Harry gained theirs after the death of their mother

Oh.

I know you didn't say that, but I hate the fact that everyone I've talked to are blaming only the DJs themselves. As if the company they worked for can do no wrong. So I guess my post was directed at everyone's general direction - not just yours. :)

Oh.

I know you didn't say that, but I hate the fact that everyone I've talked to are blaming only the DJs themselves. As if the company they worked for can do no wrong. So I guess my post was directed at everyone's general direction - not just yours. :)

No biggy, I have to add we are all working off the information gleaned from the daily newspapers. Non of us know the true facts, we don't know who initially suggested it, we don't know if there was an ultimatum to the two who made the call or if they did it willingly, my guess is willing, but then as I said we don't know we can only surmise