Christmas Dinner

Povodny

So what does everyone else have on their christmas dinner plate/table?

Average table size is 10 plus 3 or 4 but never less than 8

Starter is carrot an celery soup made the day before.

Main meal, goose fat roast potatoes and roast sweet potato, glazed roast parsnips, steamed carrots white cabbage and broccoli. Roast turkey, venison, home made pork stuffing and two kinds gravy made from the turkey and the venison.

Table condiments are farm produced pickled onions, home made apple sauce, shop bought cranberry sauce and spring onions chopped an steeped in cider vinegar.

Pudding this year is still undecided. Could be creme brûlée, squidgy chocolate log, brandy chocolate tort, butterscotch cream pie, trifle or something I've yet to experiment with lol

Oh, an lets not forget the wine... Plenty of wine :)

prawn cocktail (probably) turkey and christmas pudding because i will be at mothers neighbours. because i walk doofs to see the mad people jump in the sea, mine is set aside to microwave when i get back. no cooking no washing up woooo hooo... when i was with him indoors we had, goose, duck and one year pheasant complete with lead shot ffs lol and [MENTION=1752]Povodny[/MENTION] is the butterscotch cream pie home made cos i wouldnt mind the recipe!

Don't do starters as I usually start getting full up before dinners even come! Usually any meat except turkey as no one in our house likes it. Usually beef and chicken joints, roasties, cauliflower cheese, Yorkshire puds, cabbage, carrots, Brussels, gravy, and lots of wine. Pudding is either cheese and crackers or mini cheesecakes, mini anything really. Just so long as it's not fruit cake, bleugh!

prawn cocktail (probably) turkey and christmas pudding because i will be at mothers neighbours. because i walk doofs to see the mad people jump in the sea, mine is set aside to microwave when i get back. no cooking no washing up woooo hooo... when i was with him indoors we had, goose, duck and one year pheasant complete with lead shot ffs lol and @Povodny is the butterscotch cream pie home made cos i wouldnt mind the recipe!

yup it is home made and I'll copy out the recipe an message it to you

Definitely stuffed (apricot and almond) turkey with Parma ham done in the Weber, Leg of Lamb (also Weber), and beef roast. Potato and mushroom bake, roast veg, sweet butternut, peas. And of course Papaya Salsa to go with the turkey and mint sauce for the Lamb.

Pudding is a BIG deal in our family - we usually have more pudding than food. There will definitely be Malva pudding, Tiramisu, Pineapple fridge tart, fruit salad, Trifle, not sure what else the rest of the family will bring :bananadance1:

And lots of champagne - again :)

Definitely stuffed (apricot and almond) turkey with Parma ham done in the Weber, Leg of Lamb (also Weber), and beef roast. Potato and mushroom bake, roast veg, sweet butternut, peas. And of course Papaya Salsa to go with the turkey and mint sauce for the Lamb.

Pudding is a BIG deal in our family - we usually have more pudding than food. There will definitely be Malva pudding, Tiramisu, Pineapple fridge tart, fruit salad, Trifle, not sure what else the rest of the family will bring :bananadance1:

And lots of champagne - again :)

I have no idea what Malva pudding is. Could you elaborate please?

[MENTION=1752]Povodny[/MENTION] This pudding is a bit sweet for some people, so we sometimes use less sugar :rolleyes:

Malva Pudding (serves 4)

Malva Pudding is usually served hot with custard or ice-cream. Made with apricot jam, this typical South African/Dutch dessert has a spongy, caramelised texture. Recipe Reference: Cookbook.co.za

Ingredients – Cake:

1 cup castor sugar

2 eggs (room temp)

1 tablespoon smooth apricot jam

1 ¼ cups cake flour

1 teaspoon bicarb of soda (5ml)

pinch salt

2 tablespoons butter (30ml)

1 tablespoon vinegar (15ml)

125ml milk

Ingredients – The Sauce

250ml cream

125ml butter

125ml sugar

125ml water/Orange juice/Sherry/Brandy

Method:

1. Set oven to 190°C
  2. Beat castor sugar and eggs until fluffy then beat in the jam until a creamy consistency
  3. Sift dry ingredients into separate bowl.
  4. Melt butter in a small pot on a medium heat and add the vinegar and milk
  5. Now add the above mixture (butter, milk, eggs) to the sifted ingredients and mix well. Now add the eggs mixture and combine well.
  6. Pour into an ovenproof casserole dish that takes about 2 liters.
  7. Bake at 190°C for 45 mins until the top is nicely browned.
  8. Melt all the sauce ingredients together in a small pot over a medium heat and pour over the pudding before serving, preferably while it’s still hot.
  9. Serve it with ice-cream or custard or both

@Povodny This pudding is a bit sweet for some people, so we sometimes use less sugar :rolleyes:

Malva Pudding (serves 4)

Malva Pudding is usually served hot with custard or ice-cream. Made with apricot jam, this typical South African/Dutch dessert has a spongy, caramelised texture. Recipe Reference: Cookbook.co.za

Ingredients – Cake:

1 cup castor sugar

2 eggs (room temp)

1 ¼ cups cake flour

pinch salt

125ml milk

Ingredients – The Sauce

250ml cream

125ml butter

125ml sugar

Method:

1. Set oven to 190°C
  2. Beat castor sugar and eggs until fluffy then beat in the jam until a creamy consistency
  5. Now add the above mixture (butter, milk, eggs) to the sifted ingredients and mix well. Now add the eggs mixture and combine well.
  8. Melt all the sauce ingredients together in a small pot over a medium heat and pour over the pudding before serving, preferably while it’s still hot.

Thank you Rosemary :)

Shhhh don't tell but I hate Christmas dinner its full of stuff I either don't like or not keen on ( don't eat or like any veg and find turkey dry and unpalatable ) on top of that its usually cooked by someone else other than me ( normally Sues sister ) comes on cold plates, we have to wait ages for it there is usually to much and by the time we get its I and the other blokes have had a few beers and tried....

On top of all that they want me to wear a daft hat pull cheap crackers and tell old daft jokes to each other............

Bring on Boxing day :D

Shhhh don't tell but I hate Christmas dinner its full of stuff I either don't like or not keen on ( don't eat or like any veg and find turkey dry and unpalatable ) on top of that its usually cooked by someone else other than me ( normally Sues sister ) comes on cold plates, we have to wait ages for it there is usually to much and by the time we get its I and the other blokes have had a few beers and tried....

On top of all that they want me to wear a daft hat pull cheap crackers and tell old daft jokes to each other............

Bring on Boxing day :D

It's not the turkeys fault it's dry, it's the cooks :P and no don't bring on Boxing Day, I have to be back in work :S

We used to go to my mums for dinner but because her dogs dont like mine we have dinner at home now.

So, breakfast is bacon sarnies after presents (sausage for the hubby who hates bacon)

Dinner (cooked by me) is:

No starter because the kids cant manage it, (shame coz i miss my prawn cocktails :( )

turkey crown, stuffing, cranberry sauce, roast potatoes, yorkshire puds, carrots (only veg me and kids will eat),

christmas pud for dessert but noone else likes it (more for me) they are having penguin ice cream that i found in my shop.

im sure at some point in the evening I shall eat turkey sandwiches. I buy a bigger than i need turkey so theres leftovers :D

This year it's my mum's christmas dinner we'll be eating so who knows what we'll be eating!!! As long as there's bread sauce I'm happy :)

Totally off topic, but could you post some pics of Kodi? I've not seen more than his snoze in ages :)

Next week I'll be having a Christmas dinner with my work colleagues from Northwest on Tuesday and another Christmas dinner on Thursday with my colleagues in the south. I'm having Roast Turkey and Christmas pudding at both events so that I don't need to remember what I ordered. Christmas Day at home will probably be Roast leg of Lamb with mint sauce, goose fat & herb roast potatoes, Mashed potato, carrots, suede, roast parsnips cabbage, sprouts, broccoli & cauliflower. Not yet decided on a pudding though but will probably be too stuffed to eat one anyway

@Povodny This pudding is a bit sweet for some people, so we sometimes use less sugar :rolleyes:

Malva Pudding (serves 4)

Ingredients – Cake:

1 cup castor sugar

2 eggs (room temp)

1 ¼ cups cake flour

pinch salt

125ml milk

Ingredients – The Sauce

250ml cream

125ml butter

125ml sugar

Method:

1. Set oven to 190°C

post-1354-13586084468845_thumb.jpg

So what does everyone else have on their christmas dinner plate/table?

Average table size is 10 plus 3 or 4 but never less than 8

Starter is carrot an celery soup made the day before.

Main meal, goose fat roast potatoes and roast sweet potato, glazed roast parsnips, steamed carrots white cabbage and broccoli. Roast turkey, venison, home made pork stuffing and two kinds gravy made from the turkey and the venison.

Table condiments are farm produced pickled onions, home made apple sauce, shop bought cranberry sauce and spring onions chopped an steeped in cider vinegar.

Pudding this year is still undecided. Could be creme brûlée, squidgy chocolate log, brandy chocolate tort, butterscotch cream pie, trifle or something I've yet to experiment with lol

Oh, an lets not forget the wine... Plenty of wine :)

Well that's decided it then!!.I'm coming to yours for Christmas dinner.You need a medal the size of a frying pan if you can manage all that !!:rolleyes:

@Andy, thank you :) My teeth ache just looking at that photo - super sweet, that's why we use less sugar in ours - lovely stuff :D

You're welcome. . . :)

It does look rather . . . Mmmmm scrummy :P

Christmas Dinner at our house consists of Prime Rib packed in rock salt and slow roasted on the Weber charcoal grill, with asparagus sauteed with butter, garlic, and Holland Rusk. Then twice baked potatoes and Caesar Salad. And for desert, Sally's famous cheesecake. Can't wait.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Well that's decided it then!!.I'm coming to yours for Christmas dinner.You need a medal the size of a frying pan if you can manage all that !!:rolleyes:

so long as you bring a table an six chairs :S oh and the extra crockery and cutlery.. The wishdosher does the dishes :)