RJS

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We knew that Kodiak was gonna be big...

He's now nearly 8 months old, and currently weighs in at 45kgs. The vets say that although his weight is in proportion to his size, they have no idea now how big he is going to get.

I took this photo yesterday at my cousins house, which shows just how big he is now

I'm wondering if anyone else on here has ever had/seen a pup this big before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least he hasn't bruised you yet!!!

Kodiak's size doesn't surprise me. The breeder that we got Zoya from also has Giant Mals. There is such a thing as a "Giant Alaskan Malamute". Their big boy weighs in at 175 lbs...I think that's about 79kg. He's well over 6ft tall when he stands upright on his hind legs. We got to meet him when we picked up Zoya....a real gentle giant. Kodiak is going to be a BIG boy...beautiful too. Love his markings. :D

Kodiak's size doesn't surprise me. The breeder that we got Zoya from also has Giant Mals. There is such a thing as a "Giant Alaskan Malamute". Their big boy weighs in at 175 lbs...I think that's about 79kg. He's well over 6ft tall when he stands upright on his hind legs. We got to meet him when we picked up Zoya....a real gentle giant. Kodiak is going to be a BIG boy...beautiful too. Love his markings. :D

[MENTION=8160]RJS[/MENTION] I want our baby to stay 'little' :(

He's now nearly 8 months old, and currently weighs in at 45kgs. The vets say that although his weight is in proportion to his size, they have no idea now how big he is going to get.

I took this photo yesterday at my cousins house, which shows just how big he is now

[ATTACH]65757[/ATTACH]

he has to be part malamute right? JESUS HE'S HUGE! lol, kaiser is big enough but not compared to him, at 8 months, you may need a bigger house lol :)

Our boy is big for a siberian he weighs 35kg and stands at 26 inch (not as big as Kodiak) but still over breed standerd We had his hips scored and he was a perfect 0-0.

I don't know how a sledge breed that big could possibly work in snow, and I would be curious to see the hip scores. Is there a club for that variety?

A 75lb dog is a far cry from a 175lb dog. And in talking with a couple friends who are heavily involved in working breeds and health tested breeding, dogs being sold as Giant Malamutes are riddled with HD, hence the curiosity in the hip scores. I'd be interested to see if their scores match what is known about them.

A 75lb dog is a far cry from a 175lb dog. And in talking with a couple friends who are heavily involved in working breeds and health tested breeding, dogs being sold as Giant Malamutes are riddled with HD, hence the curiosity in the hip scores. I'd be interested to see if their scores match what is known about them.

Yes, HD is an issue, but the same can be said with Larger Sibes, and Mals in general.

To us, Kodiak is our companion, he doesn't "Work", as he is only 8 months old, anyone who "works" a pup this age shouldn't really be owning this type of breed, as their bone structure hasn't properly grown and strengthened....Mals do not fully develop their bone structure until they are atleast 18months old.

At the end of the day, Kodiak is a Giant Mal, this isn't his fault...his Dad was a Giant Mal, with perfect Hip Score, same as his Mum. He lives in a loving home, and has regular visits to the vets (every 4 weeks), to ensure that his weight is inline with his growth, which is perfect, which will carry on until the vet feels that he has fully developed.

I put the photo on the forum to see if anyone had seen or had a pup this big, as to be honest, i've never seen a puppy this big before, not that i'm complaining, as I love big breed dogs. Also, because I am proud of Kodiak, for his size and weight, he is the most gentlest giant that I have ever met. I didn't realise that this would turn out to be a debate on whether Giant Mals exist (which they do if you read up on the breed itself), nor to become a accusation point saying that all Giant Mals are riddled with HP...

Edited by RJS

[ATTACH]65757[/ATTACH]

Bloody ell he's a big lad LOL... Im guessin you got a big vacuum cleaner to go with that LOL

Bloody ell he's a big lad LOL... Im guessin you got a big vacuum cleaner to go with that LOL

Well, put it this way, it should be an experience when he blows his coat!!!! We've got 2 Dysons, so these will be put to the test!!!!

I DONT know if the Giants are riddled with HD, which is why I was wondering if there was a variety club with any info about it. I went on a couple Mal websites to find out and there is no mention of giants at all. So I was honestly curious what kind of hip scores breeders were seeing. One breeder with great hip scores means that they are taking measures to ensure the health of their dogs, but 3 breeders out of 5 with hd can suggest that the information I received is accurate.

He is a giant line mal he is a big boy. When I went through training classes with maggie there was a giant mal puppy in our class. Sorry bare with me Im an american. She is now 150 pounds. Mals are funny. They can be anywhere from 65 pounds to 150. Maggie is only a standard mal she is 70 pounds but taller than the breed standard standard! She is 25' tall