GPS tracker

LittleLuka

Why have they not invented some type of gps chip instead of just a regular microchip yet? i just see so many dogs lost/stolen constantly and i don't get it.

this has been all over tv lately : http://www.pettracker.com/pet-products/pet-gps-tracker

but it would only be beneficial if your dog was lost, not stolen because someone could just take it off.

i had a horrible nightmare last night that someone stole Luka and it got me thinking as technology advanced as the world is today how have we not come up with this yet?

Edited by LittleLuka
i still can't spell

For simplicity sake, the GPS tracking devices all need batteries, batteries need changing - kinda hard to do when the device is internal and the batteries have to be accessible. A chip doesn't need any power source so no batteries.

I looked at the gps units before:

1) they're still way to expensive for my pocketbook

2) depend on cellular service for contact with the device.

With technology as I think it is now, if they were to produce a true 2way gps (earth to sat <-> sat to earth), we'd probably fry the dog.

For simplicity sake, the GPS tracking devices all need batteries, batteries need changing - kinda hard to do when the device is internal and the batteries have to be accessible. A chip doesn't need any power source so no batteries.

I looked at the gps units before:

1) they're still way to expensive for my pocketbook

2) depend on cellular service for contact with the device.

With technology as I think it is now, if they were to produce a true 2way gps (earth to sat <-> sat to earth), we'd probably fry the dog.

you see how much i know about technology... lol, it's a miracle i can operate my iphone.

i looked at the one i posted and it's not outrageous for me financially. i just don't really see the point unless Luka got lost which isn't really a concern of mine as he's never left outside unattended. i'm more paranoid someone will break in my house and steal him. then someone could just take off the collar and it'd be done.