Be careful

Sarah

Earlier tonight, a woman was walking down our road and slipped, landing straight on her back - she had trainers on and smacked her back really hard on the floor, she was screaming in pain and sobbing and couldn't move her legs.

The ambulance arrived and they've taken her to hospital now.

Please please be careful when walking your dog(s) when it's icy x

another thing i've thought of - try and have a way of having your dog attached to you eg walking belt

When you slip you automatically put your hands down as you fall, if you drop the leash not only are you in loads of pain as you've fallen but your pooch has buggered off!

That's why I just take Suka to the dog park during the winter, or I go to an area with lots of snow and little ice (so I get the best traction). Or I just put him on the treadmill. :P

I'm terrified of using my walking belt again, after I fell pretty bad last year when Suka suddenly decided he wanted to get to that pole right NOW to pee on it. If I didn't have the belt on, I would have just been able to drop the leash, and then pick it up while he peed on it a million times. I have a few scars from that and I very well could have knocked my teeth out or hit my head on the curb if my knee didn't take the brunt of the fall.

I have these things you can put around your shoes to get more grip on the ice and it really works. I have to go out for work (postman) and be on the bicycle every morning for school regardless of the weather. There are many people who suddenly appear to be stuck home as soon as the winter starts, too afraid to go out because of the weather. I refuse to be like that. I like the cold, I like the winter. As long as you are aware of the road conditions and the possible dangers, I start seeing it more as a challenge, lol.

I currently have the second one. They're great so far :) Used to have the third from the top but they got lost. Just a useful tip: These things easily get of your shoes without you noticing it. The rubber gets stretched after a few weeks of using them. It really helps tying your shoelaces around them to prevent them from accidentally falling off.

I take mine out seperately but i walked them both the other morning before i went to work as didn't have time to walk seperately and i didn't go very far as the paths were white with ice and it was just to slippy i made it out of the estate and up the road a bit before i got to frustrated with skye pulling so much that i turned round and just came back as it wasn't enjoyable for myself or the dogs so wasn't much point i just took them out seperately later on again and it had melted a bit to :)

Fields are great in this weather unfortunately i have a long path walk to mine lol