Crate Training Question

megg

I have read a lot of posts on this site about everything possible. I will be picking up Vader the 22nd of this month and was wondering if it was possible to have him somewhat trained by the 7th of January? The reason for my asking is because the semester to school does not start until then. I just want to make sure I have a schedule/routine down with him so hes comfortable while I am out at school. Also since I will be with him everyday for those days would it be possible for him to develop separation anxiety?? Just want to prepare things so they possibly could go smoothly!! Also my boyfriend works at his house, so I will be taking Vader to his house while I go to school also.. would that help the anxiety or make things worse!?!?!

I'm no expert but u will be able to get some basic training done, also with the separation try to go out for an hour or two a couple ov times a day without him so he gets used to being alone otherwise there's a very good chance he will end up with separation anxiety

Him being with someone will probably help as he's not left completely alone but I would still get him used to being alone just incase there's a time your bf can't watch him for u , or should he ever need (heaven forbid) an overnight stay at a vet or something

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

We crate trained Rori at 6 weeks. She did wonderful. No potty mess ever. We learned rather rapidly to not put anything soft in her crate, as she destroys things. We started the first night home and she slept all night and no crying. I have learned that the smaller the crate to more comfy they are. For example Rori's first crate was the crate I use to take my 2 cats to the vet in. Not uncomfortably small but still able to stretch out a little. The next day we began with 5 min her being alone in her crate home alone and gradually increased it. She of course gets excited when we get home but never any problems.

We also crate trained Rusty the same way but he was a year and a half old. Never any issues with him and he has not been crated in years for any reason. He does have separation anxiety and howls for us but that is it.

We also crate trained Vader the same way. He barks a ton and howls but no issues. Most of the barking he does is when he hears us get home. Also with him as your puppy he is not house broken so he spends a lot of time in his crate to get the idea that potty is outside and we have him on a schedule.

With 3 they all feed into each others noise making.

So Yes it is possible to crate train a youngster. Consistency is the key. It is also a good idea to get Vader on your schedule. Some transition to new schedules well and others not so much. Good luck. Another thing that has helped us with puppies is to have the breeder put a towel in with the litter and send it home with you and if you can get a dirty shirt of yours to the breeder for becoming familiar with you.

I hope at least some of this helps.

I crate trained both of my pups as soon as I got them, but it depends what you mean by trained? Neither of them made many messes in their crates while I was gone (just the occasional pee), but it took about a week or two before they would stop crying when I left them in their crate. At first they would whine, howl and cry when I left, but after the first couple weeks they were fine. Nikko is at the point now where he will go right upstairs and get in his crate with no issues.

Here are some suggestions to speed up the process:

Every time you put him in his crate, give him a small treat. I did this with both of them and they associated going in the crate with getting a treat.

Give them a few toys to play with, such as a kong filled with peanut butter. Don’t give them anything they can destroy or choke on while you’re gone!

Never use the crate as punishment!

Make sure they go potty right before going in the crate, and they don’t drink a lot of water right before, or you will have accidents! I learned this the hard way LOL.

Only give them enough space to turn around and lay down. I learned this too…if you give them too much room, they will have enough space to potty and lay down. I have a divider in their crates that I gradually moved to give them more room. Now that they are older/bigger they have the whole crate to themselves.

Be consistent! Set up a routine and he will be fine! When I turn the TV off and have my coat on, Nikko knows to go upstairs to his crate!