Poop color? Kinda worried please help

HuskyGuerl

I dont know if its something I shoud worry about or what. But id like some advice if available. My 16 week puppy has orange beddy poop thats slighty runny but not too bad. Could something be wrong? Could it just be her digestive system getting used to the dog food and treats? Her sister has kinda runny poop but normal color. I feed all four of them Ol'Roy meat chunks and gravy and large breed ol'roy biscuits(10lb. box thats multi flavors) and ol'roy Bark'n'Bacon lean beef meat soft treats. Could it be our water? Im not sure just worried.

Give her plain boiled rice (cold) and chicken wings for a couple of days.

That will help calm her stomach down and firm her stools up.

Then try her original diet but try not to mix meat and kibble (biscuits) as they digest at different rates but come out at the same time.

Result runny poop.

give meat for one meal and kibble for a differrent meal.

Oh and i forgot to mention..We feed them leftover meat sometime. Like if we cook something what we dont eat we give them. Specifically meat only. And last night we gave them pizza crusts and the meat off the pizzas.

Oh!!!!!!

Any kind of bread product is a BIG no no. :eek:

Will give them an instant runny bum.

Rice and Chicken wings will sort her out. . . :)

Ok i will also have to input that!! Thank you soooo much!! No more pizza crust: check!

It takes them a couple of years for them to develop a "cast iron stomach" IF they ever do

Huskies have very sensitive digestion.

So. . .

Basic rule of thumb. . .

NO human food.

See this as a simple guide. . .

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php/10605-DANGER-FOODS

Mine always get my pizza crust lol

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

Years of getting used to it. . .

Not really recommended for a 16 week old puppy though.

I don't have much to add to others, but I would recommend finding a better food for them. Unfortunately, the better it is the more expensive usually, and I don't know what your budget is like :oops. Ol' Roy is pretty much the bottom of the barrel as far as dog foods go, and it could be affecting their stomachs :\ It's basically a bunch of grain fillers, with a tiny bit of protein to meet the minimum requirements. If you want to read a review on it: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/ol-roy-dog-food-dry/

Try to find something by looking at the ingredients - you want to find something that has a meat as the first one listed, as opposed to corn like Ol' Roys.

I'm sure lots of people here could give you names of the brands they use to give you some ideas and options! I personally use Taste of the Wild, which is grain free and it's done a lot better for my boy than his previous food IAMS did. He was also having some loose poop problems, so I switched him and it cleared right up :D

I don't have much to add to others, but I would recommend finding a better food for them. Unfortunately, the better it is the more expensive usually, and I don't know what your budget is like :oops. Ol' Roy is pretty much the bottom of the barrel as far as dog foods go, and it could be affecting their stomachs :\ It's basically a bunch of grain fillers, with a tiny bit of protein to meet the minimum requirements. If you want to read a review on it: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/ol-roy-dog-food-dry/

Try to find something by looking at the ingredients - you want to find something that has a meat as the first one listed, as opposed to corn like Ol' Roys.

I'm sure lots of people here could give you names of the brands they use to give you some ideas and options! I personally use Taste of the Wild, which is grain free and it's done a lot better for my boy than his previous food IAMS did. He was also having some loose poop problems, so I switched him and it cleared right up :D

We don't have Ol'Roys over here I would suspect it's of the same quality as Webbox, the sweepings off the floor that is no use in anything else. :(

I second Jamies suggestion that you look for a better quality food.

Something that has whole ingredients listed as percentages. . .

Beef 23%

Rice (not husks) 5%

Fish oil 1%

etc

Good luck with the pup.

Ditto the Roy comments. We feed authority, which is petsmart's (I think, I'm not the grocery shopper) house brand. It's not as good as taste of the wild, or the blue ????? something or other that some people feed, but it's far better than Roy's.

The dogs are fed better than I am. :( I get whatever processed, easy to make slop she gets on sale at the store, and the dogs get their little special food so they stay healthy. Weak.

Boiled chicken and rice to certainly get the poos to stop. How long has this been going on? I am just wondering because after 2 or 3 days it is best to contact the vet for medication to rid any infection that the runs may be provoking. I learned that the hard way and don't want to see another pup go through that.

A better quality food is a good idea too I have to agree with the others.

I'd def change food to be honest. Ol Roy is a very low quality food like already stated and with the way huskies stomachs are its best to have them on something better.

If finances are an issue I know places like Costco (not sure if you have one) have a grain free house brand that is very similar to totw for like half the price. I feed luka fromms as completely grain free was too much for him as a puppy but its pretty pricy.

Not only will a higher quality food sort out tummy issues it improves their coat and general health.

Just my input :)

Loki has the most sensitive stomach, followed by Safi, then Peppa and lastly Togo, who has a cast iron bladder to go with his cast iron stomach lol

Check what the treats you're giving contain as well. Loki can't tolerate any treats that are 'produced'

Ice had terrible runny poop. I tried every kibble known to man without any real success (at one point we rushed him to the vet as íhe got so sick he was passing pale pink water but that wasn't food related in the end, turned out to be an obstruction of blue roll. Think toilet roll but much stronger and blue, lol). Anyway back to topic, after the holistic foods didn't firm him properly I got desperate and tried the advice of another forum member and gave him chappie. He then did his first solid poop ever?! I only give him the original fishy one and several months on he's been so much better and gaining a little weight too (he needed it!). Plain boiled rice and chicken as mentioned is good for sorting out minor upsets, I also have a plentiful supply of pro kaoline paste too (stool firmer and tummy calmer). They help with the worst times but finding the right food for your dog is essential to prevent constant relapses.

Edited by emma1979

Dog food, the great mystery. One person says go with that brand, another says go with this brand. Then you have the all raw people. I mean no disrespect to anyone. But I hope that one day, the secret will be revealed. I have gone through three diff dog foods with my 2. and I found one that gives them energy, poop is normal, and coat is healthy. So in my oppinion, buy about a week worth of food, and try it out. if they become lathargic, runny poop, or dont seem right to you then switch. about the only thing I have found that is agreeable with most people is a food change takes about a week and worst two for the stomach to "get Right". One thing I can agree on is limit human cooked food. raw steak nothing added to it, is okay. I cook mine with nothing added then give them theirs and then I add my flavors for me not them. That seem to be okay for my Huskies.

Something else to consider, especially when feeding the 'pretty green, red, brown and yellow' doggie treats is to remember that their color comes from coloring, NOT from natural ingredients. Many huskies are sensitive to these additives as well.

I do echo other's advice to switch foods. Old Roy is honestly one of the bottom of the barrel brands.

I feed TOTW and have for many years. The one thing that I have noticed is that the amount of protein, coupled with older dogs (which is something you don't have to deal with) usually adds up to a weight gain, if the husky isn't properly exercised.

My pup has had the runny runs for a day or two because my fiancee accidentally gave him her chihuahuas kibble one day.

How do you prepare the rice and wings? Bone in or what? Ive never heard of this trick so pardon my ignorance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

My pup has had the runny runs for a day or two because my fiancee accidentally gave him her chihuahuas kibble one day.

How do you prepare the rice and wings? Bone in or what? Ive never heard of this trick so pardon my ignorance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Rice, plain boiled. Chicken I cheated and just used boneless breast chopped up. If you're using wings I would say raw as cooked bones particularly chicken can splinter.