Omg?!?!?!?!!?my son's school evacuated!!!

elenamarie

I finally got ahold of a live person at the school.. She wouldn't tell me much but she said it "wasn't as dangerous as first thought." Now what does THAT mean???? Totally freaked now. Hubby deciding whether to haul a$$ to the school to get him. School says kids will be released on the normal schedule. I don't know what to do! I don't have a vehicle here to go get him and hubby is 25 minutes away.

Hubby and I are in a holding pattern. Police on site say the kids were never in any danger. I know NOTHING about any grenade so I'm not completely convinced but it certainly sounds better than the auto message from the school district. That message said HAND GRENADE. Ugh! Little wonder I have so many white hairs.

First news report.

http://www.wistv.com/story/20348030/teacher-finds-grenade-in-high-school-science-lab

LEXINGTON COUNTY, SC (WIS) -

Students and employees at Pelion High School were told to leave the building Friday afternoon after a teacher found a hand grenade in a science laboratory.

The Lexington County Sheriff's Department responded to the school and removed the grenade from school grounds.

A spokesperson with the sheriff's department said it appears the grenade, which was inside a military box, had been in the laboratory for some time.

School officials said deputies have determined that the device was a training grenade.

Students were outside for about an hour.

Emergency responders said there was never any danger to students or staff.

Deputies are continuing to investigate with school administrators why the grenade was in the laboratory.

That's what I had read - since you don't have a location in your profile, I didn't think it my place to post it.

That's cool, Al. Thanks! I'm still shaking.

EDIT: My son is a freshman in high school. We've refused to get him a cell phone because it's a huge distraction. Given this I think we're going to reexamine the idea.

Edited by elenamarie

Hubby is home. It's such a relief to have everyone here. I'm not normally the hysterical type but the whole grenade thing right after the CT shootings shook me up pretty good. But we're all here safe and sound and the world is right again.

I can't help but think of the parents whose babies are lying dead in their classroom. I am blessed beyond measure.