Baby on the way need advice

Bambi92

Hi all I'm currently 9weeks pregnant with our first child, now my worry is that sasha my husky will get jealous of the baby and might try to hurt the baby she has been around children before but they have all left to go to there own homes my girl is a jealous type but that's mainly with animals has anyone had a problem with introducing a baby to there dog? Sasha has been with me and my cat for the first 3 years or so I've had her and only recently now lives with 2 other dogs I'm scared that she will be jealous and not want to come near me after the baby is here and my girl is my world I couldn't bare to have that happen. :(

Any suggestions in trying to get her use to idea before the baby arrives? I've also got to get her use to walking nicely next to the pram any advice on that?

sorry this is long lol

First I wanna say congrats! :)

My cousin had a baby just a year or so ago, I can ask her how she introduced her dog (not a husky, though) to her baby and vice versa for you. Personally I don't have any advice, I don't have kids yet, but there are lots of parents on the forums. I'm sure they can give you solid advice.

Okay, she said this was the website she basically followed: http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/yournewdog/introduce-your-dog-to-your-baby

Now, I will tell you she's a bit paranoid with dogs and her baby. Even though she knows Suka wouldn't hurt him, Suka hasn't even been allowed to SMELL him yet and her kid turned 1 year old a few months or so ago.

It doesn't help that her mother (not my aunt anymore I guess...divorced.) spouts: "He looks like a wolf, you can never trust those dogs" every minute.

Although, as I've never had kids before, I suppose its perfectly natural to be paranoid about your baby when it comes to anything.

And I believe her dog is some sort of Beagle mix (a rescue), so it wasn't too much trouble walking the dog and the stroller at the same time as it doesn't weigh that much. She said she just makes her husband walk the dog! LOL

Thanks for the site :) ill have to work on some of sashas anxiety issues more before the baby comes along as well. I want my baby to grow up loving dogs as much as I do fingers crossed sasha will allow the baby to come into her world nicely lol some people have the wrong impression on dogs some times that annoys me lol I take sasha for a walk during the day when it's not to hot and that's when my partner is at work its a pain in the butt to work her after he gets homes because he won't walk as far lol

I would personally do the oppostite of what Elyse's cousin does - let the baby greet, sniff and see the baby as much as possible, with one of you holding the baby and the other close to the dog to keep her calm and stop her licking. I have 4 kids, 8, 5, 4 and 1. Got Niber when youngest was 3 months and he was just a pup so he always knew the baby. I just made it very clear that the baby is higher in the hierarchy than Niber - if the baby touches his stuff, he's allowed to, if Niber touches the baby's, that's wrong. He has been good as gold - and he is a jealous dog. As soon as I bend down to play with the baby he comes trotting over to get between us, but again I let him know his place and push him away. Then give him lots of attention after. I've just never left them alone and supervise the play, but allow as much contact as possible between them so they are comfortable with each other. The baby's crawling and first steps stage will be the worst - mine literally chased Niber around the room to pull, smack, cuddle, jump and climb on. You have loads of time to prepare anyway.

As for walking with pram - i never go too far, just in case baby poos, cries or needs attention where I can't hold the lead and in case Niber decides to pull that day, sees another dog etc. But he's a pup, so maybe in a couple of years time he will be more predictable.

Congrats by the way

My children are older but I've seen this topic before on husky owners. I hear it's good practice to let your dog smell all the baby stuff and become familiar with it. Once your little baby is born, bring home something that smells of them and let your dog sniff the scent to familiarise themselves before you bring your bubba home. Once home, remember to give your fur baby attention too, hard I know as a baby is a life altering and knackering experience in itself!

And of course, congratulations! X

Thank you :)

That's what I was going to do just let sasha be around the baby but wanted to see if anyone else did that. I think she might be good with the baby I had my friend over with her baby (6mths) and all sasha did was walk up to the baby and sniff her feet gave her a little lick (that's what she does when she approves of someone) and walked away if the baby cried she walked up like she was checking that she was ok then brought her toy over to the baby and tried to give it to her lol was soo cute :) think I was worried for nothing but could be different with my own child guess I wait and see

Thank you all sooo much for the advice:)

My children are older but I've seen this topic before on husky owners. I hear it's good practice to let your dog smell all the baby stuff and become familiar with it. Once your little baby is born, bring home something that smells of them and let your dog sniff the scent to familiarise themselves before you bring your bubba home. Once home, remember to give your fur baby attention too, hard I know as a baby is a life altering and knackering experience in itself!

And of course, congratulations! X

This is exactly what I was going to say. My son is almost 4, we had my Husky (Hee-mang) for about a year before my son joined us. After he was born I brought home a blanket from the hospital he had been wearing so she could smell it. Brought a hat another day as well. Made sure both got attention (mother-in-law over all the time helped a bit to make that easier) and never had a problem. My wife actually wanted to get rid of our dog (Koreans don't view them as part of the family, just as a possession, my wife has come around now) before the baby, that was a nice argument Apparently in Korea they have an old wives tale that says the kids will choke on dog hair and that having a dog around as a baby makes your immune system weaker (about as opposite from the truth as you can get).