Help!!! Neighbor filed false complaint on my husky

murdoc

Last week I received a notice from the anti-cruelty society at my house about a complaint someone filed. The notice stated I "failed to provide a sufficient quantity of good quality, wholesome food and water, failed to provide adequate shelter and protection from the weather, and failed to provide humane care and treatment".

I don't keep my dog outside for long hours- several hours at most in the early morning when I leave for work at 7am and then my mom usually takes him in at around 8am or 9am. She takes him outside several times of the day to potty in my backyard or if its nice outside she usually leaves him outside with her dog (who is a chow chow mix). There is a giant bucket of water outside that is tied to a pole because he likes to spill or play with his water dishes. We don't leave food outside because everyone who owns a dog should know that is unsanitary and my mom brings him back inside to feed him.

The investigator claimed he stopped by my house last week at around 930am when he wrote the notice. You cannot see my backyard from the front of the house or the back of the house. What's funny about this "visit" is I dropped off my dog at the doctors for his comprehensive exam at 7am that same day so the dog wasn't even home when this investigator supposedly stopped by to report that I failed to provide for my dog.

We called the inhumane society several times for the past week to talk to the investigator but he was never there or they never picked up. Two days ago, the investigator (I don't know if it is the same one) stopped by my house again and my mom let them in the house to inspect it. They only inspected the lower level of the house and my mom showed them where she fed the dogs and also the backyard -the water bucket we leave for him, etc. I live on the 2nd floor and that is where my dog is usually kept. My mom told these investigators that my dog has gone through puppy, intermediate, and advanced classes and has passed all of them. My mom also told them I am training him to get his canine good citizen license so that I can get his therapy license because I think he would make a great therapy dog. After their inspection, they left me a 2nd notice saying I failed to provide wholesome food and water and failed to provide humane care and treatment for my dog. The investigator told my mom and I quote "the complaint was that the dog is kept outside for long hours in the rain and snow". That is absolutely false because it barely snowed in Chicago for the past 2 years (he's turning 2 in feb. 2013) and whenever it rains, I always or I tell my mom to bring him back inside because I don't want his fur to get wet.

I have all of my dog's shot records and records of every single time I took him to the hospital. My dog unfortunately has seizures so I have to feed him phenobarb for the rest of his life. I have to take him to the hospital every 3 months to do tests on his phenobarb blood levels to make sure the seizure medication isn't damaging his liver. He recently had to get exploratory surgery done because he had an obstruction in his stomach. If I didn't care for my dog, I wouldn't be wasting so much money on him. He also has his dog license along with a microchip.

This is the 2nd notice they left for me. I am EXTREMELY upset because they have failed to contact the OWNER of the dog as I have called them numerous times and left them numerous messages. I feel like these people are harassing my family and my dog when they obviously aren't trying hard enough to contact the owner of the dog. I know it was my neighbor that called because we don't get along. I don't keep my dog outside unsupervised anymore because I'm afraid of what my neighbor might do to my dog. Has anyone ever dealt with false complaints on your huskies before and how did you deal with it?? I need help :(

PS- the investigator spelled husky wrong. they spelled it huskie on the notice. if you were a dog person who worked at an anti-cruelty place, i would assume you should know how to spell the word husky.

that is the most absurd thing i have EVER heard! i have never heard of that happening. Have you thought about going to the actual society office? I would like to say you could involve the police in such a matter as these are false claims... oh reading things like this just piss me off. I

I hope this works out for you and your husKY. what idiots. you seem like a great owner, don't take it personal people are just stupid.

I'm so sorry to read this. I've no idea of the laws there so am not much help. All I can suggest is go higher than the people you are dealing with. You could perhaps involve local councillor. Explain your dilemma, produce your documentation as proof of you being a very responsible owner and get them to realise your dog is built for outdoors! Someone is in charge of the people knocking on your door, go to them but don't go in all guns blazing, go in concerned at the confusion. Save blazing for later.

good luck and keep us posted as to how you go on please.

So, what do these notices do or mean? Can they fine you, jail you, or take your dog?

I wouldn't let them into my house again. If they want in, tell them to have a judge sign off on a warrant. If they try to harass you about not caring for your dog, ask for what proof they have.

what is the anti cruelty society? Are they govt, or a private organization?

Was just on their website. They're a 501©(3). Not funded by the state. Private organization. They can't do anything to you, other than report you to the authorities, who would laugh at these people.

I would tell them to stay off my property, and to cease further communication with you, or you will be going to the authorities.

Did a little Googling here so I'll work backwards [MENTION=2677]ponder85[/MENTION] they can take the dog, if they feel it's warranted.

The Chicago Anti-Cruelty Society seems to operate as a government agency even though they are a 501c(3). Seems to be a part of the SPCA in Chicago.

If I were you [MENTION=6383]murdoc[/MENTION], I'd first try to find out if they have an ombudsman program - they, in theory, are neutral and should talk to both you and the society.

Failing that, I might see if I could schedule an appointment with David Kauffman who "is a board member for ... the Anti-Cruelty Society." I see two venues there; one, since he's a lawyer contacting him as an attorney and a board member might make them sit up and take notice; two, I can't picture the society happily being contacted by him asking them what they're doing. Whether you can get a no charge interniew --- well, he is a lawyer ....

Here's a link to an older copy of their magazine it might be worth your while to contact some of the other people on the board, or their president (a vet) directly.

Al, I found that on their website. They are authorized to take an animal. Interesting that a non government organization can confiscate private property without due process of law... Looks like that's a last resort, and that they'd do a lot prior to taking your dog.

well these investigators already inspected the lower level of my house. unfortunately i was at work when they stopped by and my mom doesn't understand how ridiculous these notices are. murdoc is kept on the upper level most of the time but the investigators did not go on the 2nd level. i already told my mom to not let them in the house again if they come back because my mom is not the owner of the dog and i am 100% sure they have no proof that murdoc is outside all day long in the rain and snow because he's not. i will most likely stop by the anti-cruelty place and will bring all of his records along with tons of research on huskies and how they are outside dogs. thanks for all the replies! :heartbeat:

my boss who called the place several times for me talked to the investigator's supervisor and she said the investigator is never really in the office and it'll take a couple weeks before he can call us back.

that makes absolutely no sense! :@