When to change to adult food ?

Tasatail

I was wondering when change Mishka(currently11month) to adult food she is on juniour mix at the moment. We currently use james wellbeloved it said i should changed her at 8.5-10 months old. We wanted her gain some wait as shes is very skinny and when speaking to a few people i was informed just stay on junior diet till she was 2 as it has higher calorie intake. Is this correct will it do any harm staying on junior mix ?

Thanks

It is large breed dogs who stay on junior formula till 2 years old. Huskies are medium large so you can start slowly introducing to her the adult formula. Huskies aren't fat dogs. They are skinny, only their fur makes them look not skinny.

If you would like her to gain weight just increase the daily amount of food she gets. Female huskies can weight as low as 17 kg, I think I heard about one that weighted 15 kg.

Increasing her food will not do much as we end up putting half in bin at the moment She gets about 400g of wetfood or meat+veg depends what im cooking and same again in kibbles but normally she only eat half that. Im aware shes not supposed be huge but i rather not be able feel every single bone in her body

Im aware shes not supposed be huge but i rather not be able feel every single bone in her body

What do you mean by that? Can you actually see her ribs and spine?

Huskies are built to be very lean dogs. If you post a few pictures of your girl (a side shot of her standing up and an air shot of her standing would be perfect) then we'd be able to help you more.

And how much does she weigh?

I have no experience with James Wellbeloved, but what formula are you on right now and what is the one you're thinking of switching to? I couldn't find any calorie info on their website...perhaps calling them or waiting until a UK member responds?

James well beloved is a very good holistic food. My two are just over a year and recently switched onto adult formula. I can feel their spine but not their ribs. Dogs do not start to fill out until 12 months of age and continue to do so until 18 months to 2 years, so at 11 months I would expect them to look a little gangly, they've not finished growing yet!

Mine are on wainwrights (apart from ice, my boy with one of the most sensitive stomachs going!) which is compositionally on a par with James well beloved but much cheaper! It's suitable up to 18 months but as I also have a senior dog and didn't want to buy separate kibble as Bear polishes off anything my old girl leaves behind, I changed over to adult just after a year old. She's still fed twice a day though, but not a big breakfast eater so will likely be on once a day within the next 6 months or so.

• 1 month later...

I've heard that you should change to adult food around 1 year old.  I started both mine on Wellness puppy food, but I wanted to switch them both to Taste of the Wild, so when Nikko was about 11-12 months old I went right to Taste of the Wild adult formula, and to keep them both on the same food I went ahead and switched Yukon over too even though he was only 4 months old.  TOTW is an all life stage food though.

I've heard that you should change to adult food around 1 year old.  I started both mine on Wellness puppy food, but I wanted to switch them both to Taste of the Wild, so when Nikko was about 11-12 months old I went right to Taste of the Wild adult formula, and to keep them both on the same food I went ahead and switched Yukon over too even though he was only 4 months old.  TOTW is an all life stage food though.

i've been wondering what to do about that as its time for Luka to switch over in about 2 1/2 months and i didn't really want to spend a small fortune on two different types of food for him and knox. knox is like 4 months old so i prob could switch him to totw too. i just haven't decided what food i'm putting Luka on yet... something completely grain free.

I've heard that you should change to adult food around 1 year old. I started both mine on Wellness puppy food, but I wanted to switch them both to Taste of the Wild, so when Nikko was about 11-12 months old I went right to Taste of the Wild adult formula, and to keep them both on the same food I went ahead and switched Yukon over too even though he was only 4 months old. TOTW is an all life stage food though. i've been wondering what to do about that as its time for Luka to switch over in about 2 1/2 months and i didn't really want to spend a small fortune on two different types of food for him and knox. knox is like 4 months old so i prob could switch him to totw too. i just haven't decided what food i'm putting Luka on yet... something completely grain free.
That's exactly the situation I was in. I didn't want to feed them 2 different formulas but I had to for awhile because I switched Yukon on TOTW puppy formula early on and Nikko was on wellness. When it was time for Nikko to I on adult food I just went ahead and switched them both to TOTW original formula. They both do really well on it Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to switch mine here in a couple months. When Cloud turns a year old, Yuki will be 8 months old. I was thinking of switching both of them from TOTW puppy to TOTW adult at that time. I'm assuming by your post you're saying that would be alright? :3

I need to switch mine here in a couple months. When Cloud turns a year old, Yuki will be 8 months old. I was thinking of switching both of them from TOTW puppy to TOTW adult at that time. I'm assuming by your post you're saying that would be alright? :3

I think so.  Before I did the switch I asked around and was told there would be no issues with switching them over to adult formula.  TOTW only had 1 formula for all life stages, and recently they came out with a puppy formula.  There is not a big difference, except the pieces are slightly bigger.  Depending on what flavor you get the protein/fat content may be slightly higher with the adult formula.  Yukon started on TOTW puppy from age 2 months until 4 months, and I went ahead and switched him right to adult at 4 months with Nikko.