The Springer Bike Attachment

Chewbacca_&_me

Ok I just wanted to share this find with everyone so that if there is anyone thinking of attemping to bike their pooch they know about it, and wont just try leash and collar biking.

A cpouple of months ago I got the livin daylights scared out of me by a man and his staffy who were trying to bike down the road while chewy and I were walking (with the kids too). He was leash and collar biking and had no control over the dog whatsoever. The staffy saw us and pulled the man from his bike and lunged at us teeth bared. Luckily I pulled chewy away from the other dog as quickly as possible.

Anyway, its actually not healthy to bike with a leash and collar, so I went looking for a sturdy attachment. I havent gotten it yet but it has good reviews and is reasonably pricced.

Its called the Springer...and its a safe harness and attachment.

You can see it for yourself @

http://www.springerusa.com/index.html

It says on the site that it has been used with big dogs like newfounlands, shephards and more, so Im going to give it a try. Chewy goes for 2 mile walks and is still not tired (because we constantly have to slow up for the kids) so Im finally buying a bike and trailer as well.

Hmm...ok good feedback thanks...I was unsure which kind of harness i wanted to try with it. Im glad it help up with that ridgeback, as I was concerned about how much pulling it might sustain...lol. Im working on getting a bike and trailer for me and the kids but It looks like I have to buy everything new so It may be a bit longer.

If you live in the US (Im only saying just the USA because shipping is steep to hawaii) and you know of someone with a bike and/or a bike trailer for sale, Let me know. Im looking to buy this stuff used from someone who has it and doesnt want it anymore.

:)

we got one of these for micha, they work great 95% of the time, you have to use 2 clips instead of 1 as the break easily, also it needs a walking harness not a racing harness.

the 5% bad is when an animal is spotted and micha takes off, then the plastic clips break, a metal one could solve this as someone said, but then you could have your bike pulled away from you, at least thats what i worry about.

now if i put her on the bike to wear her out i use a standard long lead looped round the front bit where the forks go through, and a shock absorber section to her lead, otherwise i just ride along behind her keeping pace.

• 5 months later...

I have a walky dog for my bike. mechanically different but the same principle. . .fixed under the stem of the seat and the dog runs beside you.

i run Echo my white GSD and she loves it.great exercise.

Can't run Koda yet coz she.s too young.

if your dog tries to go in a different direction. .i.e squirrel / cat/ bird etc

the spring absorbs most of the pull and YOUR weight over the seat takes care of

the rest. Even with a good hard lunge the bike does not get yanked out from under you

I have a walky dog for my bike. mechanically different but the same principle. . .fixed under the stem of the seat and the dog runs beside you.

i run Echo my white GSD and she loves it.great exercise.

Can't run Koda yet coz she.s too young.

if your dog tries to go in a different direction. .i.e squirrel / cat/ bird etc

the spring absorbs most of the pull and YOUR weight over the seat takes care of

the rest. Even with a good hard lunge the bike does not get yanked out from under you

We just ordered one of these, hopefully it'll work as well for us! so excited as Pongo loves to run with bikeslaugh.gif I didn't want the springer because of the safety feature.... snap! and bye bye doggie! *shivers* Can't risk that!

We just ordered one of these, hopefully it'll work as well for us! so excited as Pongo loves to run with bikeslaugh.gif I didn't want the springer because of the safety feature.... snap! and bye bye doggie! *shivers* Can't risk that!

Good luck . . .love mine biggrin.gif

• 2 months later...

I just bought a Dog Walky for my bike. I love it! It was easy to install and surprisingly Nira didn't freak when I hooked her up to it. I replaced the

metal clip on it with a larger one because the one it comes with seems pretty small and weak for my beastie. Now all I have to do is clip it to her

harness and we're off, she loves being able to run. Even when she pulls it doesn't mess up my balance (she's about 45 lbs).

Just thought I'd add my experience because before I bought this thing bike riding with Nira was a frightening experience to put it nicely.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I use a springer on my bike with Denali, I choose to bike him in collar to train gaiting other wise we'd use a harness. He needed no training, was a bit scared of the bike at first but got over that quickly. He's a dream to bike now! It has also helped train directional commands for his carting/sledding career we're starting on!