Persistent worms & excessive stools

HollieRae

Hello!

Was wondering if anyone can help!

I have a 13 week old puppy, Luna, who seems to keep getting worms.

The first day we got her she was sick worms, so we rang the emergency vets and they said to give her worming tablets so we did.

A week later we took her to the vets (for her jabs) and they gave us some advocate for fleaing and worming.

We started noticing white flecks in her stools and she started to poo 15 times a day!!!

Has anyone else experienced this?

We took her to the vets again & they gave us a tablet for tape worm.

Now two days on, she seems to have round worms again.

She's not even been out yet, she's due to be allowed on boxing day and she hasn't been in contact with any other dogs.

I'm really baffled as to how she is contracting them and am getting worried, has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Thank you

Unfortunately no. At what age did you get her? It could be someone is just making money on the pups and didn't deworm her and that is why she has so many. Has her condition changed for better? What did your vet say?

By the way she's beautiful.

Unfortunately I went through it and I lost my puppy. I bought him off someone and was told he was dewormed. Turned out he never was, and for the whole month I had him, at the end I found out he had it all that time. When he first had diariah the guy in the animal feed store told us that it was probably the change in food and told us what to do to treat it. We followed his advice and it was gone. Weeks later he had it again and got to the point where he was dehydrated he was vomiting on top of the diariah and didn't want to eat. we took him to the vet on emergency. she treated him and told us, if he got worse to bring him back. The treatment didn't work and got worse. 2 days later we took him back. He died in my arms at the vet after he looked up at me one last time to say goodbye.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Fenrir, my 10 week old puppy has just pooped out a rather large roundworm this morning. All his other poos have been clear and no problems. And he's been wormed every 2 weeks so I'm a little confused as to how he's got them.

I hope you manage to resolve your worm problem.

Luna is gorgeous by the way.

All puppies have worms, and unless the breeder wormed the litter and mom they likely were not parasite free. Also it has a lot to do with which wormer medication you use, Strongid is a very typical wormer the vet gives. It's a yellow banana smelling paste injected into the mouth, within hours you'll see worms passing in the stool. HOWEVER if this treatment is not repeated in 14 days you have a re-infested puppy as the eggs those worms you saw pass days earlier have now hatched and started reproducing. To me this has always been an inconvenience. I have started treating my whole kennel annually with Fenbendazole, which is a white liquid goat wormer that is either injected into the mouth or squirted onto the food, it treats not only round worm, but various other parasites as well as kills the eggs (also treats giardia). Treat 5 days in a row and you are good to go worm free. You have to be diligent cleaning the potty areas and bleaching once the treatment is complete to prevent reinfection through ground transfer. Either treatment you should of course consult your vet.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to this thread but Sarah had drug-resistant roundworms that had to be treated with Drontil. I discovered that drug resistance is increasing among canine roundworm populations so if the first couple don't help, you must see your vet ASAP.

Here's the thread I created while going through it myself. Hope it helps.

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php/17158-Gonna-let-the-vet-have-it!