is he a bure bred?

awesm_o

i came across this purebred puppy, owners moving and cant take him with them into the new place. Thyre saying hes a pure bred, but cant provide any evidence that he is, i honestly cannot tell if a dog is purebred or not. Would someone be able to help me out? Opinion on if you think he is?

post-9064-13586086008007_thumb.jpg

Looks like all husky, but I would be concerned that they have that young of a puppy and are "moving" and can't take him along. Sounds like a scam because they knew they were moving most likely so why get a puppy? Be careful where you pick a puppy off the internet.

Unfortunately when I was looking for husky puppies I saw a LOT of ads that said 'moving, cannot keep' or 'expecting newborn child' or 'doesnt like the cat' as reasons for getting rid of 8-12 week old puppies. It made me so mad because people don't even try to make it work. I can't imagine what would happen if they got to the teenage years.

Unfortunately when I was looking for husky puppies I saw a LOT of ads that said 'moving, cannot keep' or 'expecting newborn child' or 'doesnt like the cat' as reasons for getting rid of 8-12 week old puppies.

Selling puppies because the owners are "moving" is another type of scam bybs are using to sell their dogs. It's important to see where the pup is coming from for both rehomes and buying from known breeders.

Certainly this does not apply to all ads, but it is something to be aware of.

Back to the pup, at first look he is a purebred (although when using the term "purebred", that is encompassing all levels of breeding--responsible and not). You will probably have a better idea when he is about a year old. up until then, its hard to tell with any breed.

Edited by jmscott

Looks pure to me.

I've never seen a dog sitting on its tail like that. What's up with that?

How old is he? How much are they trying to charge for him, if anything?

Haha I noticed the tail, too! When Loki is in trouble, he'll do that. He just plops down and doesn't really care where his body parts are until he thinks he's in the clear.

------------------------------------------------

He does look pure, though. He has a lot of similar facial features as Loki, just different colors. He's cute!

If you're really interested in him, make sure you go meet in person before you make a decision. As I'm sure you already know (and as mentioned above), internet puppy scams are rampant. Not all are bad, though. That's how we got Nikita; she was a Craigslist pup (and thank heavens we took her, too, since she was being abused). We had the same "evidence" issue with her, too. The girl giving her up said that her aunt is an "AKC Approved" Sibe breeder out of state and that Nik is a purebred. For some reason that she couldn't explain, however, Nik's litter was unregistered (although her parents were?) and that they have no proof of her lineage. Even with Loki we have a pedigree. He isn't AKC, but he's still clearly pure. But yeah, what's in a pedigree? :) Nikita is potentially a mix (people think with wolf -- including our vet lol we disagree) but she's my canine soul mate. I couldn't have asked for a better pup.

I would also recommend getting information about vet records. If possible, contact the vet and have them forward the records to you. It's scary to get a puppy and find out that the real reason they rehomed him is because of a medical problem. We're still working through all the little issues Loki has, the biggest one being his seizures.

Edited by RaineShadow

Are his ears really that big or is it just the pic? looks ke hecould have GSD in him by how big his ears look My Husky/GSD mix Lucky looks like a pure husky at first glance but ifyou pay close attention to him, you will see his ears are big like a GSD

My pup was about four months old when we took her pic that's in my avatar. She had pretty big ears then, and has grown into them. IMO, none of the colorings look gsd.

When they are mixed with GSD they come in a variety of colors from both sides Lucky and Selene are White and grey. Their siblings are white grey, black and brown. Lucky and Selene were the only ones that came out like that the others were multi colored but with the husky markings and mask. Celine and Lucky came out with just the GSD patch on the back but in grey.

Edited by Gideon Cross

I have a husky/gsd/Akita? mix and a pure husky, it's the shape of the ears not the size that makes me say husky. My full husky had huge ears like that too but the shape was more rounded than my cross who has narrower ears but anyway i'm babbling away now, sorry, as it's not the breed that concerns me here but rather the chances of getting scammed. If you are adamant that this is the pup for you then proceed with extreme caution. Make sure you don't go alone to any meets and ask them a whole lot of questions. If they can't answer, walk away. If at any point you feel something's not right, again, wall away. It's a big gamble buying from online sites, sometimes you get lucky but sometimes you end up with a whole heap of problems and exspensive vets fees.

Edited by emma1979

Look at the size of the ears on my pup in my Avatar. Finally had all the KC paperwork back for mine so she is definately pure pedigree and with a long line of champions in her. Don't think that the size of the ears is an issue and he definately looks all husky to me but who can say for definate? Also what does it matter. If you like the dog and the dog likes you go for it.

Gary.

Look at the size of the ears on my pup in my Avatar. Finally had all the KC paperwork back for mine so she is definately pure pedigree and with a long line of champions in her. Don't think that the size of the ears is an issue and he definately looks all husky to me but who can say for definate? Also what does it matter. If you like the dog and the dog likes you go for it.

Gary.

Thank you, that's pretty much what I was trying to say too but you did it much better! :). X

One thing that caught my attention in this thread was the comment about BYB using the they're moving excuse to sell their puppies. I never knew that and I see a lot of people saying that where I used to buy my 2 older dogs. What i used is something like Craigslist but for Puerto Rico called Clasificado.

My pup was about four months old when we took her pic that's in my avatar. She had pretty big ears then, and has grown into them. IMO, none of the colorings look gsd.

my storm didnt look part gsd at all as a pup.

One thing that caught my attention in this thread was the comment about BYB using the they're moving excuse to sell their puppies. I never knew that and I see a lot of people saying that where I used to buy my 2 older dogs. What i used is something like Craigslist but for Puerto Rico called Clasificado.

You're not alone there! We got Nikita off Craigslist. Some people on these classified ads website are genuine and really have to rehome their animals. There are definitely a lot of scams about moving, though. I inquired to someone about a puppy (before we got Loki) and I received at least 8 emails (no exaggeration) in the next 2 weeks about people that are moving and can't keep their puppies. It seems like a good 90% of these "we're moving and can't take our 8-12 week old puppy" scams are also "just moved out of the country, send $150 for our AKC puppy and we'll ship it. Good Christian family" or the like. Some people are just pathetic.

You're not alone there! We got Nikita off Craigslist. Some people on these classified ads website are genuine and really have to rehome their animals. There are definitely a lot of scams about moving, though. I inquired to someone about a puppy (before we got Loki) and I received at least 8 emails (no exaggeration) in the next 2 weeks about people that are moving and can't keep their puppies. It seems like a good 90% of these "we're moving and can't take our 8-12 week old puppy" scams are also "just moved out of the country, send $150 for our AKC puppy and we'll ship it. Good Christian family" or the like. Some people are just pathetic.

I got my gsd on cl, and ran into a lot of scams. Most were pretty easy to see through though.

Gary.

I think a lot of sibe puppies have to grow into their ears.