Abby's Story

HeatherG

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Day #1
So we picked up Abby yesterday.  She did great on the 2 hour car ride home.  She is a very loving and sweet 8 week old puppy with 1 brown eye and 1 parti- blue/brown.  I love her personality and I can already see the traits of the husky.   All of the other animals accepted her wonderfuly!! :) 
Last night was interesting.
:unsure:   I put her in her kennel for the night (about 30 mins).  She cried A LOT...I figured she would have went to sleep but instead she got so upset that she vomited and then messed in her cage.  So it was bath time in the middle of the night for little Abby and then it was snuggle time in my bed (what she really wanted in the first place).  Even though I keep my room cooler in the night time while I sleep she also let me know that she was not pleased with the temperature so off the heater in my room went and on with the extra blanket on my bed.  She slept great and is a snuggler.  Licked my face when she was awake about every 2-3 hours and she went out to use the bathroom perfectly.  So small yet so full of personality.  We love her! 
Today we will work with potty and crate training!  Wish me luck.

** Tried to figure out how to add pictures of her since the forum has changed and I think I may have sit here for 30 minutes trying to figure it out.  I'm going to blame it on sleep deprivation. **

She definitely is cute :-) I remember Skye crying at night but only the first night, me and my mum took it in turns sleeping downstairs and left Skye on the floor to sleep where she wanted, we left the crate open so she could investigate it if she wanted to. Took me a few days to crate train her, i even got in the crate and sat next to her a few times, giving her treats every so often. As i had an xl crate it was a way i could do it. If you have 2 or more doors on the crate you could open all the doors and get her to walk through it with a bit of coaxing with treats, i did that a few times aswell. Also cover the front of the crate to make it more den like when she is used to it. You will also have to build up slowly how long you leave her in the crate.  For toilet training try and set an alarm for every 30mins or every hour for the first few days and take her outside to go toilet, when she goes outside try and say toilet when she is going and she should learn to go on command, also tell her she is a good girl when she has been and give her a fuss, so she associates it with good things. Skye was already paper trained when i got her (she was also 11weeks old) so after day 2 she was going out to toilet and only had the odd accident if we were delayed in taking her out. The alarm is for during the day and at night so she has plenty of chances to go toilet outside therefore should only have the odd accident inside, makes it easier in the training. After the first few days you can change it to 2hrs if she has had only the odd accident but obviously you will be able to know how she's doing and determine when you think she is ready to go out less and over the next couple of weeks or so increase the time between taking her out. However it sounds as though she is already letting you know when she needs to go. Take her out 15mins to 30mins after she has eaten and straight after play time. I think thats how i went about it with Skye. I replied on my photo thread about pics i will go find post and copy it on here for you :)

For pics - I just started a new topic and went to the bottom of the page and used the basic uploader so could only do one picture at a time, i tried doing the advanced one but didn't work, it only did one pic. It says attach files, click choose file and then choose the pic you want and click attach this file, do that for the number of pics you want to use and then click add to post next to each one and they will be added to your post  :)