Fireworks and loud noises HELP!

Bambi92

Hi all sorry if there is already a post about this topic.

Sasha has an abusive past and when I got her she would run away and hide as soon as someone raised there hand/voice or there was any form of loud noises she has never bitten me or anyone she has been around unless its playing and she only puts your wrist in her mouth but doesn't bite down. She has come along way but the main things that scare her now are the vacuum, fireworks and loud banging noises like a hammer hitting nail or the mop falling on the ground. Now in saying that my partner stupidly let a few fireworks off in the backyard on Xmas day sasha and the other dogs were in the garage with the door closed at the time when I went to check on her she was standing on the lounge near the door and jumped into my arms like a child does I know I shouldn't have but I caught her (almost fell over in the process) and hugged her because she was scarred and shaking she hasn't been the same with my partner since she will go up to him for a pat but other then that she looks at him with a really sad and disappointing look and walks away and comes to sit with me.

how can I help her be less scared of these things? I was ment to go out on NYE but I'm too scared to leave her alone because of the fireworks. I can't have her getting out of the yard because she will get hit by a car/truck as soon as she goes over or under the fence. She is always inside when there are loud noises around and she sleeps inside at night.

sorry this is so long I didn't really know how to put it. Any advice is much appreciated as I really want her to be ok with these things I hate seeing her scared or upset :(

I saw an ep of The Dog Whisperer with a dog that had this issue and if I remember correctly, he had the dog walk on a treadmill while fireworks played on a tv monitor. The treadmill was used to release energy and anxiety while it played. I dunno if this helps or anything but hopefully it will give you some ideas.

If you don't mind investing in things. Buy something from the DAP/Adaptil collection, either the diffuser, spray or collar. Diffuser and collar both last about a month and Ghost destroyed the diffuser when it was in his reach. It is a pheromone diffusing thingy that calms dogs. It doesn't necessarily have to work 100% but it did for us with his barking in a couple of days.

I guess best solution now for New Year's would be to get her away from the fireworks, or just stay at home and play loud music, and do a dancing show for her, sing to her, she might join you even.

I had a look at the adaptil site I've heard a few people talk about that and saying it works. They have a sound sensitivity questionnaire not sure if its much to go by but I did it for sasha and it said sasha has a serve reaction to loud noises and "recommends" long-term medication and behavioural therapy would the results of it be anything to go by? If I can help it I don't want to medicate her. I don't have a lot of money but ill do anything to help her no matter what the cost is.

I tried the DAP thing diffuser for Andy, as he was struggling terribly with separation anxiety. It made it worse for them both. It was almost as if they sensed another dog and couldn't find it and peed all over the room it was in. I returned it for a full refund to say the least. Have you looked at all into a Thundershirt. Have heard positive things about it but haven't myself tried it. Maybe someone on here has.

I was thinking about trying the anxiety jacket similar to the thunder shirt. Last night she was really good with the fireworks that were around which surprised me I was so proud of her she only ran and hid once and that was because I went outside for a min :) then someone thought it was a great idea to let 6 off right outside my house and sasha went crazy she was sound asleep then that happened she didn't have anywhere to hide because she can't get under my bed so she laid on top of me with her head under the pillow for 20mins poor baby