Need to vent - quite cross

KBS

I have a friend who came over yesterday afternoon and met Bo. We talked about toilet training her and, today, she has been so good, only three accidents in the house, which at the age of nearly 9 weeks isn't too bad.

He called me tonight to advise that he had spoken to a "mate" and suggested that I use her crate as a punishment (omg, is he serious) ??? And the. Suggested that I rub her face in her faeces when she has an accident. Needless to say I went mad, that is so archaic and barbaric....his reply to that was then that he wouldn't have anything more to do with me/ my dog.... So bye bye mate!

There is NO way that I would agree to those suggestions.

Sorry, just needed to vent, am so angry right now that he thought that those disgusting suggestions would even be ok to suggest let alone me trying them....

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, I just needed to vent. I was/am so cross with him that he even thought his advice was relevant and something to act on. I was absolutely astounded at his reaction to my opinion with regards to his "advice".

I'm not surprised you're angry. That's typical puppy behaviour, and those suggestions are horrible. Reward based training is far more effective than punishment.

Fenrir is 11 weeks and still having about 1-3 accidents a day (none on Christmas day hurrah), so you're doing well at 9 weeks. :)

I have just texted so called friend with lots of facts as to why no one should use those kinds of methods, I won't even insult you all by his pathetic and immature reply to that. I'm done with him, I will not feel pressured into "training" my puppy with those disgusting methods, I can't even call it training, one researched article states that if I did any of those methods it can potentially make her worse/fearful of me etc.

I have just texted so called friend with lots of facts as to why no one should use those kinds of methods, I won't even insult you all by his pathetic and immature reply to that. I'm done with him, I will not feel pressured into "training" my puppy with those disgusting methods, I can't even call it training, one researched article states that if I did any of those methods it can potentially make her worse/fearful of me etc.

Good on you!

Can we have their number so we can tell them what we think of their antiquated methods lol lol (jk)

What a DumbAss.

If you need advice, please ask on here.

We have so many experienced members who can help, if you need advice

9 weeks??? Well done, but how??? Mine are 16 weeks now and we're still having quite a few accidents in the house. It's a little more difficult with 3 of them but I would have thought they'd have worked it out by now especially as they have 3 adults here to show them what's what as well;)

Gary.

What a numpty. The "rubbing their nose in it" bit seems to crop up among several types of animal, usually from old school hardcore types who are frankly spouting outdated tripe. Far from teaching them better, all your doing is telling them you want them to eat it. How is that helpful exactly? If your ex friend starts up again, maybe you could point out this fact and shut him up for good!

That doesn't work. The guy is an idiot. Something I used to do with my dogs that I was advised is to put the urine or feces on a news paper so they can follow the scent to the paper. when they do it on the paper you praise them. they learn to do their thing on the paper until you start training them to do it outside.

Aurora is 12 weeks old and fully house trained. She really liked the treat method. Even now when I send her out she comes right in and goes a stands near the cabinet with her treats. ( her treats are nothing more than pieces of cat food). I could never do those horrible things to a puppy who is learning. I sure hope he never gets a puppy.

Must admit, we were asked why we weren't rubbing Kodi's nose in his droppings when he had an accident....needless to say, we just ignored them. It took Kodi about 2-3 weeks before he was trained, but there were a couple of accidents. All we did was when he started to wee, we clapped our hands which made him stop, then just picked him up and put him in the garden where he finished doing his business.

If he had an accident in the house, we never punished him for it... At the end of the day, he was a puppy....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We had a dry night last night and this morning when I took her out, she did all her business, ate her breakfast and then scratched at the door to be let out and did her business again.... It must be all the times that I rubbed her face in it..... NOT!

Had a rather nasty text from said friend waiting for me this morning, the gist of it was that we would have to agree to disagree and then the ending of it was particularly nasty with him saying that if

life was perfect then I would still be living with Paul, my ex, low blow as he knows how devastated i was when Paul left me.. I'm done with this guy!

We had a dry night last night and this morning when I took her out, she did all her business, ate her breakfast and then scratched at the door to be let out and did her business again.... It must be all the times that I rubbed her face in it..... NOT!

Had a rather nasty text from said friend waiting for me this morning, the gist of it was that we would have to agree to disagree and then the ending of it was particularly nasty with him saying that if

life was perfect then I would still be living with Paul, my ex, low blow as he knows how devastated i was when Paul left me.. I'm done with this guy!

Omg. That's crossing the line well and truly. Why throw up personal things in a disagreement over dog training?! You're right that was an extremely low blow.