The best bit of advice....

Austinville

We all started somewhere with this breed. What's the very best bit of advice YOU got when you first became interested in the Siberian Husky?

For me, it was the understanding that you begin training them as you hope them to be in the end. To be consistent and not change the rules.

What's the one piece of advice that has always stuck in your mind as your love of the breed turned into reality?

Hmm - I've sat and thought about this before posting as so much has been said to me over the years, for me, the one that sticks in my head was about them being stubborn and not listening to you - bit like kids, or husbands when you ask them to do anything - they get selective hearing lol

I think in my case, it was the comment I made last night on a different thread, albeit in a different context. 'You get the dog you deserve after two years.' It was an Environmental Health Officer (and fellow dog owner) that said it to me when she met Molly (who was then 5 months old), and jumping up at the poor woman. :oops Lol! The woman reminded me of Victoria Stilwell.

The best advice we had was about 1 week after wed had Bindi was from a fellow husky owner (who is also a pro dog trainer) is: you have had other dogs? yes well forget whatever you learned with them and start again and try and think husky...I must say that did help....

• 2 weeks later...

Another bit that helped me was to begin training commands as a pup. For instance, I knew I wanted to run Ryn with the bike and eventually sled. So she learned the commands: 'gee', 'haw', 'wait', 'line-out', 'on-by', 'leave it' etc as a pup. Now as we work into sledding, she already knows what I'm asking her to do and it's making this new adventure much easier.

I think the best bit of advice we were given was also 'if you've had other dogs, forget what you learnt and start thinking Malamute' Kodiak has certainly been 'challenging' over the months but we feel he is turning out to be a fantastic dog. Still very puppy but because of his size you tend to forget he is only 8 months old. Especially when he is tearing around the house :rofl:

• 1 month later...

Choose the puppy thats the same colour as your carpet.......then all the dog hair wont show :)

Its taken me 25 years to get my husky....after years of listening to the advice of others that they are too much hard work......and yes they are, but Im gutted I didnt listen to my heart all those years ago because I am loving every minute of it, including the holes in the garden, the bouncing on furniture, not having anything chewable on the kitchen sides, having no plants in my planters, being told when i must go for a walk.......and of course lots and lots of cuddles xx

Oh man there is such a large amount of good advice that I've gotten but probably the most important piece is...NEVER let them off leash! I watch these guys like a hawk. If people come over they are on a leash or in the back if the front door is open Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best advice was indeed that you will get the dog that you work for around 2 years old, and its really true, the more time and patience i put toward nanook better the reward.... plus another advice, never give up, be patient and use bacon as treats, never fail!!!!!