Country living vs city living

Gideon Cross

Just wanted to hear your perspectives on both. I was raised a city boy coming from a small urban town in New Jersey but I have always loved the country. I always felt that it was more peaceful and relaxed. My first time being in the country was when I was 7 and my whole family went to a cabin my uncle owned in upstate New York, and I fell in love with it. Shortly after I graduated High School, I went to stay with my aunt in South Carolina, in a town called Goose Creek, close to Charleston, which was country. I have just always enjoyed nature due to my love of animals, and reason I own a husky is due to my love of wolves which are one of my favorite animals.

Edited by Gideon Cross

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the country and I live in one of the most beautiful areas of the world - the Lake District. I like visiting cities but could never live in one, I hate busy areas and would probably have a heart attack trying to drive in a city - think I may have a mild busy place phobia lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Edited by Cherrie-Nanook-Indy

I grew up in a more rural area not far from the Lake District, I now live just outside of a city. I love the convenience of city life, but I don't do well with crowds so I always love going home to my mum's and enjoying the countryside. I can't wait to take Fenrir to my mum's as there are some lovely quiet countryside walks near hers, living in city we're restricted to the parks and promenade here which are usually full of people.

We live in Vermont, and the only large city we have is Burlington which we both have lived in and also have lived in other parts of the United States from Kansas City, Salt Lake City, Orlando Florida, Augusta Georgia which have all been beautiful places, but just to crowded. We now live in Johnson Vermont in the mountains in a quiet village setting where nature is right at our door step. Love the mountain air, quietness and all the village shops which are closed by 5pm, but if we want the city life, we can be in Montreal Canada in about hour, New York City in 5 hours, Boston in 4 hours and at the ocean in 3 hours. So, city vs. country.....Country any day...and a safer place for Siberians to live. Here is a few photos from our back door...

post-6713-13586086534941_thumb.jpg

post-6713-13586086526874_thumb.jpg

post-6713-13586086530546_thumb.jpg

We live in Vermont, and the only large city we have is Burlington which we both have lived in and also have lived in other parts of the United States from Kansas City, Salt Lake City, Orlando Florida, Augusta Georgia which have all been beautiful places, but just to crowded. We now live in Johnson Vermont in the mountains in a quiet village setting where nature is right at our door step. Love the mountain air, quietness and all the village shops which are closed by 5pm, but if we want the city life, we can be in Montreal Canada in about hour, New York City in 5 hours, Boston in 4 hours and at the ocean in 3 hours. So, city vs. country.....Country any day...and a safer place for Siberians to live. Here is a few photos from our back door...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66910[/ATTACH][ATTACH]66911[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]66912[/ATTACH]

Wow, those are some beautiful pics. :)

I was born and raised in the city, but i have such a love for the country side, i love how its so peaceful and serene and pure! Would definately love to have a little cottage in the countryside but still have a place in the city as i dont think i could choose from either :)

I love to visit the country because it is beautiful, quiet and peaceful but I could never live in the country. I would love,love to live right in the heart of NYC but way too expensive! I have lived in the country and what I don't like it that you have to drive so far to get anywhere. I live in a suburban area near Chicago and I can tolerate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralph and Ken - i'm so envious of where you live - it's beautiful!

[MENTION=4]Sarah[/MENTION] We have seen photos of where you have been in the UK and their are some beautiful places there as well. The one we remember, you are with Denise Taylor and a group and you were doing all the photography, just loved those photos...

@Sarah We have seen photos of where you have been in the UK and their are some beautiful places there as well. The one we remember, you are with Denise Taylor and a group and you were doing all the photography, just loved those photos...

Oh yes there are some lovely places, just not at my backdoor like you have - i think you should adopt me :D

We both grew up in a medium sized city, about 300,000 for the total area. Nineteen years ago, we made the move to a rural subdivision about 10 miles outside of town. We LOVE living out here, away from the noise and congestion of the city. Each house sits on a 3-5 acre lot with a lot of wooded areas in between. We are on the outer edge of the subdivision, so there is nothing behind us for as far as you can see. Besides the peace & quiet, I also like the privacy. Still, we are only a 10 minute drive to town. I do like to visit large cities...been to Chicago many, many times...I absolutely adore New Orleans, but I don't think I'll ever live in one again. One big drawback of living out here is that when it snows, driving can be quite tricky. Sometimes 4 wheel drive doesn't even help! They don't clear the outlying roads quite as well as the city streets.

We both grew up in a medium sized city, about 300,000 for the total area. Nineteen years ago, we made the move to a rural subdivision about 10 miles outside of town. We LOVE living out here, away from the noise and congestion of the city. Each house sits on a 3-5 acre lot with a lot of wooded areas in between. We are on the outer edge of the subdivision, so there is nothing behind us for as far as you can see. Besides the peace & quiet, I also like the privacy. Still, we are only a 10 minute drive to town. I do like to visit large cities...been to Chicago many, many times...I absolutely adore New Orleans, but I don't think I'll ever live in one again. One big drawback of living out here is that when it snows, driving can be quite tricky. Sometimes 4 wheel drive doesn't even help! They don't clear the outlying roads quite as well as the city streets.

Surly that's where the huskies come in? :D

New York City is one of those must see places, many things to see but always a great place to leave after being there. It is just to chaotic, so over crowded and extremely expensive. For an example, a effeciancy/flat a 400sq. foot is about $1800 month, and that isn't even in the best location. There is nothing like New York City at Christmas time.....

For me this is a no brainer. My dream is 500 acres, with a house right in the middle of it. Maybe once I hit the lottery...

Id have three separate fenced areas (so when the dogs got one muddy, I could rotate them to the next one), a shooting range, a big garden, and atv trails all over the land. My idea of paradise. :) Ya just can't do that stuff in a big city.