Aurora my 13 week old bit me

Candie

I am still in shock that she bit me tonight. I had given her a Kong toy with filling inside. I gave it to her then after about 5 minutes I walked over and picked it up to see if she had gotten all of the filling out. She had a little left so I gave it back. A few minutes later I went to pick it up again and when I reached to get it she growled and bit me. I told her no and she was still growling and snapping at me. My husband walked over and picked her up and put her outside. She has never done anything like that. I put my hand in her food bowl all the time as well as take a few pieces of kibble out to work on commands with her. I am not real sure what I should do now. I know this breed needs training and I have her signed up for classes after she gets her shots completed. She plays with my other dogs so well and even tolerates our cat. She is still a puppy and she is still nippy but when she gets to rough we tell her no and kinda hold her mouth shut. Nothing forceful or anything. Any tips as to what I should do now to keep her from being aggressive with her treat toys?

She didn't like you taking away her toy she enjoyed very much. I can only suggest that instead of taking toys without any signal beforehand do something like this: Aurora, sit. Goood giiiirl + give her a treat. And then take away her toy. I trained Ghost for me to be able to touch his kibble, but things like bones are dear to him and he wouldn't like me taking them either. I wouldn't like someone taking my food away from my mouth either. :) Hope others can help you some more.

While in theory giving a command before taking away her treat or food is a good idea, I personally think that teaching her how to accept you taking things from her without a treat is a better idea. Think of it this way, a young child is never, ever going to give a command for her to allow it to be taken from her. She needs to accept the fact that things can, and WILL, be taken from her.

At 13 weeks, I'm thinking more that you got nipped rather than bitten. She was telling you that she didn't like that you were taking the high value toy.

I would deal with this by disciplining for the nip/bite. But do that AFTER you've established that you are higher on the totem pole. I agree that she is just of the age that she's pushing her boundaries, and that makes it the perfect time to begin a new life lesson!

For instance, my first husky would lower his head and begin a low growl if I approached him while eating. I began by placing just a small amount of kibble in his bowl at a time. A few pieces. What I accomplished by my constant refilling of the bowl was that hands by his bowl was a natural thing. Once he began to understand that, I would put more food in at a time. A few days later I would reach for the bowl but rather than add food to it, I picked it up. Imagine his surprise! But he 'got it' - he understood that I could and would take his bowl from him at any time. Once he accepted my doing it, then I began working with my kids on it. Within a few days, his 'aggression' was a thing of the past and anyone - child or adult - could pick up his bowl, or in your case - high value treat.

My current husky could care less about her food, but is often 'concerned' with the grandkids taking toys from her. While they are hers, if the children want them, they may have them. She understands that putting teeth on any human is not good. We've established that through various techniques and while she gets upset (watchful, and often 'tattling' when a toy is taken -and chances are she'll stick around to see if she can steal it back) but she never, ever puts her mouth on a human. I've seen her nudge a child, but never a mouth (unless you count the times she tries to preoccupy the child by smothering them with kisses).

Learning your husky's body language is one of the very first things you'll need to do. You need to be able to read them so you know when to discipline, treat or know they are bored with today's lesson. You can't stop their actions if you don't know when to do so.

My girl knows that I can and will (and have) put my entire hand down her throat to retrieve something that she's attempting to pick up while we're walking. And she knows that if I say 'on by' or 'drop it' I mean it, but most of all, she understands that if she doesn't, she's going to lose it anyway and I'll go to all lengths to retrieve it from her mouth.

Whoops! Sorry, I know you didn't ask about that, but it's an extension of being able to read them to know what command to give and of them learning that you say what you mean........

Good luck.

Jessy will growl and bare teeth, but she'll let us take her food. We just don't take high value things from them because there's no need to. Ours fight with each other for toys so they don't get them. They see them in the basket in the closet, and Jack is the only one who is really very interested. He's the only one that doesn't like to give things up, but will take a higher value trade...like liver!

I have a 9 week old and she oftens nips at me or snaps/lunges back at me, she she does this, especially if she is on the sofa with me, I just pick her up and put her on the floor and ignore her. I also, occasionally, putmy hand in her bowl while she is eating and again when she's playing with her toys too.

Im not sure if I'm doing it right but, for now, it's working. When she's in a really playful mood she will snap back at me,I will then either turn my back on her/ignore her.

Jessy will growl and bare teeth, but she'll let us take her food. We just don't take high value things from them because there's no need to. Ours fight with each other for toys so they don't get them. They see them in the basket in the closet, and Jack is the only one who is really very interested. He's the only one that doesn't like to give things up, but will take a higher value trade...like liver!

I agree. Luka wouldn't be very happy if I took his rawhide treats or bones but I don't because there isn't any reason to.

I can however pick up his food bowl without any issue I just constantly was around it when he was a puppy.

The thing is, you don't know when a child (or an adult for that matter) might try to take something from the husky - while you may not have children in the home, there is always the chance of a visiting child making the attempt or even a child while you're on a walk. I feel it's best to train them for any circumstance. This way, we can go anywhere, or have anyone come to our home and I never have to worry if Ryn finds something she considers to be of high value to her.

I have given her the same toy several times and have taken it away and given it back. She hasn't even looked concerned. I am thinking I just startled her. I will continue to work with her but I am not too worried about it anymore.