How to get him through the dog door?

Hey guys,

I'm having a lot of trouble with my husky, he'll be four years old and he used to go through his dog door fine but since I came back home from uni in the summer and slept in the conservatory I could let him out at night and back in, so he's fallen out of the habit of using his door. Now he is really scared and backs away when we're trying to get him to go through.

We've tried using treats to lure him near and he does come near and eats them but when he realises he's near it he panics and runs away. He is a really nervy dog so I don't want to just push him through as I'm scared then he won't go anywhere near it!

My parents are actually considering rehoming him because of this (we have to leave the big door open for him so it makes the whole house open) and it's completely breaking my heart, I live away for uni so I can't be here all the time.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated ,

Thanks x

Could you prop the dog flap open with something like a stick so he can see outside and hopefully in his own time explore it and venture through it? I appreciate it will still let all the cold air in but hopefully if he's able to take things at his own pace it wouldn't be for long.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've managed to get him through the door by propping it open with a stick and leaving a trail of treats through the door and leaving him to build up the courage, he's now done it 3 times :)

Going to have to keep practicing and start some intensive training AGAIN!

many thanks x

It's at night the problem is the biggest as he sleeps in the conservatory and everybody else sleeps upstairs, so he just throws himself at the door or howls all night until somebody comes and lets him in as he got used to that over the summer.

I don't think it's a rehoming issue either but these are the rules my parents are setting out in order to keep him :( It's really heart breaking for me so I'm just trying to get him to be the perfect husky lol

my boy wakes me up during the night woo'ing if he wants to go out ' date=' but dad wont let us get a dog door so we HAVE to get up for him lol[/quote']

Sounds strange but I wish Ice would do that! If he wants the loo he just wanders off downstairs and takes a dump on my hallway carpet (sorry to be so explicit!), then he wanders back up to bed like nothings happened! Cheeky boy.

I've literally just installed a LARGE dog flap in our back door.

Would appreciate advice on getting them all to use it. :up: