Lead 'snap' opened! - bit of advise for you

brian brown

Thought I'd offer some helpful advice :D

I don't know if it's been discussed before as I do know it's happened to other people but yesterday while out walking my 4, one of my dog lead's 'snaps' opened & off ran a dog! :eek: Luckily good dog came back

I was looking at replacing the snaps with locking karabiners so posted a question on Mushers Exchange on Facebook to see if anyone knew where I might be able to buy small but strong ones from.

Louise answered (hi Storm & Angels Mum :D) & said she uses 'chain link repairs' as a safety measure. I popped down the local iron mongers & managed to pick some up, £1.05 each :).

Apparently they'd had them in Aldi,3 for £2 :(

I use walking belt, karabiner & police training leads (as do others I've seen). It's just a bit of added security ;)

Some pics:

police training lead

post-3916-1358608699374_thumb.jpg

chain link repair

post-3916-13586086995068_thumb.jpg

snap plus extra security fitted

post-3916-1358608701946_thumb.jpg

belt, karabiner & just lead snap

post-3916-1358608702057_thumb.jpg

belt, karabiner, lead snap & extra security.

post-3916-13586087021795_thumb.jpg

I feel much better now, if the snap opens, at least the dog can't run off! Added piece of mind :D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

always use karabiners on our walking belts, the dogs always have the lead connected to collar and harness they also all have connecters from harness to collar. pluss Odin wears a canny collar and a short lead lol mine look like wild dogs but hey there not getting away lol i also get them all new leads every 6 months wether the old ones are worn or not.

The clip on Broder's lead keeps coming undone and by some miracle we haven't lost him yet. He's also managed to break the stitching on his police leads (from eBay) so even if the clip stays closed I don't trust that it won't fall apart. I've just ordered a ring lead from SASS so that he can't escape as there's no clip etc. http://www.sassdogequipment.co.uk/dog-leads/ring-leads/

I think they're a great idea.

Edited by sharloid

always use karabiners on our walking belts, the dogs always have the lead connected to collar and harness they also all have connecters from harness to collar. pluss Odin wears a canny collar and a short lead lol mine look like wild dogs but hey there not getting away lol i also get them all new leads every 6 months wether the old ones are worn or not.

I think most people use karabiners on their walking belts, that's not the problem, it's the fact the lead snap can open.

A couple of people have since told me they've had the same thing, different leads from different places, different snaps.

As I said, it's an added bit of security for not much money.

I don't see the point of linking collar to harness as some do, never had a dog get out of a decent harness & lead being connected to a collar as well won't help if the snap opens.

BingBlaze'n'Skyla it was one of the Border Collies so not a real problem, it just highlighted an issue as it could have been my foster Husky (who has no re-call)

sharloid those SASS leads are good & fine if you don't want to be able to give the dog more length on the lead.

I use the police training leads because you can have them shorter whilst around town (mine also have 'traffic handles' at both ends) but put them at a longer length when on beach etc.

This little bit of metal has just allowed full use of the lead as intended but with extra piece of mind, well worth a few quid :D

BingBlaze'n'Skyla it was one of the Border Collies so not a real problem, it just highlighted an issue as it could have been my foster Husky (who has no re-call)

sharloid those SASS leads are good & fine if you don't want to be able to give the dog more length on the lead.

I use the police training leads because you can have them shorter whilst around town (mine also have 'traffic handles' at both ends) but put them at a longer length when on beach etc.

This little bit of metal has just allowed full use of the lead as intended but with extra piece of mind, well worth a few quid :D

Yeah it's definitely a good idea! We had a custom lead ring made so we chose the length and had a traffic handle added :)

The clip on Broder's lead keeps coming undone and by some miracle we haven't lost him yet. He's also managed to break the stitching on his police leads (from eBay) so even if the clip stays closed I don't trust that it won't fall apart. I've just ordered a ring lead from SASS so that he can't escape as there's no clip etc. http://www.sassdogequipment.co.uk/dog-leads/ring-leads/

I think they're a great idea.

My police leads are from eBay n had them for years one I've blazes we've had since he was 7 months old. What seller did u use?

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

My police leads are from eBay n had them for years one I've blazes we've had since he was 7 months old. What seller did u use?

It was Mandy's dogwear or something? We had two from the same seller and the stitching has given way on both :( Told her about it and she just said that hers are fine...

It was Mandy's dogwear or something? We had two from the same seller and the stitching has given way on both :( Told her about it and she just said that hers are fine...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280692122187?var=580033819062&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

This one? Mine are from her & the stitching's fine on mine too

Where's the stitching coming apart?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280692122187?var=580033819062&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

This one? Mine are from her & the stitching's fine on mine too

Where's the stitching coming apart?

Yeah those ones. Both next to the clip and next to the ring. Broder only weighs 20kg and isn't a big puller. Must have more strength than we realised as he managed to snap a metal stake out we got from Pete too...

Here's hoping the ones from SASS are stronger!

Yeah those ones. Both next to the clip and next to the ring. Broder only weighs 20kg and isn't a big puller. Must have more strength than we realised as he managed to snap a metal stake out we got from Pete too...

Here's hoping the ones from SASS are stronger!

Flipping heck! Even Demon hasn't managed to break one of Pete's stake outs!

I walk all 4 of mine on those leads & 3 of them are pullers & they're still all fine, he must be strong!!

What the hell are you feeding him?!:eek::lolman:

Flipping heck! Even Demon hasn't managed to break one of Pete's stake outs!

I walk all 4 of mine on those leads & 3 of them are pullers & they're still all fine, he must be strong!!

What the hell are you feeding him?!:eek::lolman:

It bent and then the top snapped off! Managed to catch him just as he made a run for it. The end bit is still left in the ground in Portugal as we couldn't get it out! Before that he managed to break the metal tie out cable and ran across a field. I don't think he's safe to be outdoors. :P

Weird that's where mine are from , collars n semi-slips too n had no problems :-/

We use proper climbing carabiners from Go outdoors.

They have a locking ring makes sure they don't come unlocked.

Keeps all 4 of mine on the same ring connected and secure. :up:

Andy, so you don't use leads that have a snap at all?

Nope

Ring on Police lead and Carabiners

I bought a xback harness from her the stiching came away after one use ,to be fair when i told her she had me send it back to her and she restitched it and its been fine since then

hi all im new here

im kinda lost on here and didnt know were to as this , what is the best lead collar or harness for my husky (meeko) as ive done loads of reading and not really got an answer ?

ive only just joined this site as i only found it yesterday but from what ive seen & read its the best by far !!

many thanks in advance

hi all im new here

im kinda lost on here and didnt know were to as this , what is the best lead collar or harness for my husky (meeko) as ive done loads of reading and not really got an answer ?

ive only just joined this site as i only found it yesterday but from what ive seen & read its the best by far !!

many thanks in advance

It's all personal preference really:

Harnesses (for walking) SASS http://www.sassdogequipment.co.uk/dog-harnesses/tracking-harness/ I use the Tracking harnesses, Manmat http://www.manmat.cz/en/products/displayProduct/leads-skijoring-harnesses/6-soft-universal-harness/80 obviously there are others

Please DON'T buy one of these type, they can come straight over their heads!

post-3916-13586087051879_thumb.jpg

Leads, there are many types & again it's personal preference. Many use the 'police training leads' because they have loops at different lengths so you can have the dog close to you or further away, depending where you are, others use the long line leads.

Collars are the same, if you're leaving it on the dog, you don't want one that could 'hang' & catch on something & choke the dog, if you take it off when you're indoors, a 'slip collar' or 'martingale' collar might be better.

post-3916-13586087052295_thumb.jpg

Personally, I use the SASS walking belt (easier on the arms as it's hands-free walking), SASS tracking harness, police training leads & have the martingale collars with their name tags on for when I go out