scared of the hoover

Skyla is absolutely terrified of the hoover , so i got some treats (cheesey bites) n ive decided im gonna try n tackle her fear , in short bursts of corse i dont want to overwhelm her

so i started off sitting next to her with the hoover off n put a treat ON the hoover , and then on the hoover pipe , i then turned the hoover on n gave her a treat for not reacting , we then progressed to me moving the hoover around whilst giving her a couple of treats , i then brought it right next to her whilst treating her for not reacting , n used the pipe to stroke her at the same time , i then held a few treats so she would follow me and be next to my side whilst hoovering the house for a minute or two

then i put a couple of treats on the hoover whilst it was on , n finished by switching the hoover off giving her a couple more treats n a big fuss n a praise

just wondering if this is the best way to go about it? i dont want to make her fear worse but she seemed fine, any other methods?

has any1 else trained their dog to not fear the hoover or something similar?

kind of hoover im using , its not an upright one

post-95-13586087161456_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've not had the hoover as an issue as we have wooden floors downstairs so just sweep but Kaviq did have a major issue with the hairdryer, and I did the same with him, desensitised him gradually - I think you're doing the right thing as she sounds like she's not having any issues, I'd say keep up with what you are doing and good luck :D

I'd imagine as long as you desensitize them...

Suka runs away from the vacuum cleaner and the hairdrier. It doesn't look like he's scared of it (body language says so), but he just...runs away whenever he sees them. Maybe he doesn't like the noise?

Sounds like youre doing it just right to me!!! Kai seemed to be a little scared of the hoover first, everytime i got it out to clean his kennel he would run away and/or bark at it but i just completely ignored him and i think he realised it was ok because he then just sat down next to it watching me and eventually fell asleep next to it whilst it was on ( i think he liked the feeling of the warm air on his face, weird pup)...seems like he wasnt too scared then :)

Storm hates the hoover, but not bothered about the hairdryer, which in fact I use to dry him when he's thoroughly soaked. I find it strange as most things do not bother him - fireworks, balloons birsting, etc. Holly on the other hand, who is Collie cross, is scared of most things, and yet tolerates the hoover! I've never considered trying to get him used to it, as I really do not see it as a problem.

Kodiak gets weirdly excited when the old Dyson makes an appearance :confused: he licks it and wags his tail at it. It is very strange. I then turn it on and he talks to it. Doing the housework is a very noisy affair in our house :D

Lol blaze woo's n plays with ours :-/

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

mine just lie there and wont move!!!!!!

echo likes the hairdryer on her

you are doing a fab job nix

When i start hoovering (yes men can Hoover) Naya comes over, jumps around a bit, chases the Hoover, runs away, comes back, she sometimes lets off a little bark. Like blaze on the vid, just with the speed turned up lol.

She's more excited than scared. :)

Glala and Dana just run off when they see the hover :rolleyes:

At home, I get the opposite with our cat Beppe who is deaf. I actually need to lift her up to hover the couch (and wake her up if she's asleep, despite the vacuum being right next to her). So strange as I'm used to see everything run away when I get the vacuum out, lol.:rolleyes: