Lost and found in Poland

Steve

Yesterday (New Years Day), while walking Storm in a small Polish town in the evening (Holly stayed home due to the fireworks), a small Dachund ran across my path, and literally threw itself at Storm's feet. The poor thing was terrified as the fireworks were exploding all around us. After comforting it for a short time, I walked back to my wife's family's house, and the Dachund followed. We took it in for a while until things quietened down, and then took it and Storm for a walk, hoping that it may lead us back home. After going in circles for an hour, we then took it to the vets as we ended up on his street anyway (he's a real nice guy who does our pet passports each visit, so opened up even though it was 10pm on a bank holiday evening) - she was chipped, but the chip did not show as registered. Back she came to ours - we made a bed for it in our bedroom. Storm loved it, even though it was only a fraction of his size. Holly merely tolerated it, and told it off a couple of times (resulting in us telling her off - she got the message).

This morning we drafted posters to put up around town, and took her on another walk in search of her house, and this time she took us in the exact opposite direction to last night. Posters went up outside local shops, but again, she didn't know where she was going. Her backend movement was not great, but all the same, she loved the walk. At one time, me and my son tried to split off to take posters to additional shops, but she wouldn't go anywhere without my two dogs, so we had to go as a pack.

We left posters at the local school, as this is where we found her, and carried on to a final shop. Just before reaching the shop, a young lady pulled up in her car, scarcely believing her eyes, and the Dachund recipricated - her owner! We chatted for a while. The dog was only 5 years old, but was partially paralysed, hence the hopping on the back legs. She had run away a few hour before I found her, because of the fireworks, and they had spent last night and today searching. She was from a couple of streets further than the vets, so we were almost there last night, but she tired and gave up walking about one street short of home. Apparently she is normally very timid and walks without lead as it will not leave her owners ankle. How different when she was with our two - in just a few hours, I think the pack instinct came out and she was in heaven walking with two big'uns and leading the way!

We were elated, as we dreaded having to leave it in a dogs home if we didn't find its owner by Saturday when due to come back to England, and I think my wife was already looking at calling in favours for somebody to look after her so we could get her passported and bring her back to England on our next trip to Poland!post-9011-13586087174895_thumb.jpg

post-9011-13586087174047_thumb.jpg

post-9011-13586087173468_thumb.jpg