DIY SOS! With pics :)

Sid_Wolf

No unfortunately we're not on or going to be on the tv program, would love to have someone come and do my whole house :lolman:

We're sorting the house out room by room, OH has lived here for nearly 25 years and I dont think its been redecorated in that time! Not to mention the insane amount of clutter! OH's Dad no longer has a say in what gets done, I am choosing colours/decor and it's being done whether he likes it or not! I refuse to bring my baby home to a sh*thole :lolman:

So anyway, 1st room is done, the living room... Chose this room to do first as its where we spend most of the time.

Carpet was over 20 years old, which is a tad gross, and bald in a fair few places! Walls and ceiling nicotine stained and painted some weird ass creamy pink colour! Blinds had been jumped up at by the dogs and ruined, and the tv unit swayed rather dangerously from side to side :confused:

No actual before pics but you can see the old carpet and tv unit in these pics:

540486_10151025770440499_203217456_n.jpg

300853_10150347664295499_2832773_n.jpg

After:

DSCF0910Copy.jpg

Carpet: £90 off ebay

Curtains: £20 QD

Rug: £25 ebay

TV unit: £50 littlewoods

Cabinet: £40 ebay

+ new TV (OHs birthday present to himself lol), and canvas pics of the muppets :D

Want to take the curtains up a bit as they annoy me trailing along the floor! will do that over the weekend :)

Anyone else doing home improvements? Share your pics :D

Started the Hallway today, figured it was the next cheapest room to do, and I want to have it nice when visitors first come in!

Floor tiles are horrid and have some missing/broken! Needs a lot of polyfilla on the walls before painting, whole area needs painting. OH's dad decided to take the doorway out of the front cupboard and build an archway (for reasons only known to him) which has been unfinished for over a year, so that needs plastering.

Stairs and landing have no carpet and that also needs painting! But we're doing the downstairs bit first.

Before:

DSCF0902Copy.jpg

DSCF0903Copy.jpg

Once we cleared out under the stairs keyu decided it was her new hidy-hole!

DSCF0904Copy.jpg

DSCF0905Copy.jpg

And end of today:

DSCF0906Copy.jpg

DSCF0907Copy.jpg

All holes filled, and most painting done, some bits need a 2nd coat and I need to cut in around the edges still. One door glossed, other 2 need doing.

Archway is being plastered at the weekend (hopefully) and then that wall can be painted and floor layed (have lino)

Looking Good! :D We've gone though and re-done almost our whole house since moving in almost 10 years ago. It's amazing how different you can change a space with something as simple as a fresh coat of paint and a little TLC! Can't wait to see it all finished!

Thanks guys :)

The main problem we have is money, which is why we can only do it a little bit at a time, paint isnt that cheap and carpet is extortionate! But we're hoping that by the march/april time the hallway, landing, bathroom and kitchen will be finished :)

I've been in your living room Sid :) It looks completely different now! Looks lovely!!!

We are slowly doing some stuff to the house bit by bit we sort of randomly decide to do things though like this.....

Before (do ignore me looking like an idiot here) oh and the top was nailed down i took the pic just after taking that up

post-2176-13586087439138_thumb.jpg

And after and this is how it is currently lol will finish the rest eventually!

post-2176-13586087440045_thumb.jpg

Doing good Sid! We're supposed to be replacing the hallway carpet with laminate and re carpeting the stairs and landing at some point this year. Bear keeps ripping up and destroying the carpet when we go out so can't really sort that just yet but really want laminate in the hall, we just haven't got a clue where to start?!

We today we got all the painting done downstairs (apart from the archway into the front cupboard, which is being plastered on Sunday by my Dad), glossed the doors and frames, and glossed the banisters on the stairs. Plus I polyfilled all the little nicks and holes in the walls up the stairs (I am polyfilla legend, holes run when they see me coming!), and most of the upstairs doors have had the first coat.

So tomorrow we'll start painting the walls up the stairs and on the landing. And finishing off as many of the upstairs doors as possible (didnt buy enough gloss!). Then on Sunday my dads coming and sorting out the archway (2nd pic of 2nd post) then we can paint that then lay my new lino :D

Hoping to get carpet for the stairs and landing next month, but our stairs go back on themselves so we're gunna need to hire someone to lay it aswell, so its gunna be expensive, might have to wait until March :S

Have you tried Freegle / Freecycle for carpet / any other bits you need? You might not get anywhere' date=' but it is worth a try... (I co-run 4 Freegle groups in the Surrey area...)[/quote']

I havent, I've tried freecycle once and didnt really get on it with tbh, but we dont mind paying for it, we get stain resistant ones anyway and im quite fussy with colour! lol Im gunna get the same colour we have it the living room, as OH's dad is bad for spilling drops of coffee as he walks up the stairs lol

Almost done now, unfortunately dad cant make it tomorrow (he has an ongoing illness which is playing up atm) so the plastering and floor will have to wait until some time next week, but we did get the first coat on the walls upstairs and along the stairs today, and I went a bit mad when cleaning the bathroom, decided to sugar soap all the walls and get rid of the nicotine stains, then glossed the doorframe and skirting board (OH done the door yesterday.) Looks like a new room :)

2nd coat of paint upstairs tomorrow, then glosswork and we're done until dad can do the arch :)