need puppy help??!!

alc545

i just got a beautiful 7 week old baby named mila! she has been amazing so far and so smart. she was apparently the "bully" of the litter. i am curious about some of her actions lately. she has started to growl or woo sometimes when i pick her up? is this because she believes that she is the alpha. also she doesnt sleep next to me and rarely wants to snuggle. is this another example or am i just over reacting to her actions? thanks so much for your help and any tips for the upcomig months would be greatly appreciated!

Hi

Not sure about growling to be honest as Kodiak has never made a sound that sounds remotely like it but wooing thats a different story :) it sometimes sounds like a Chewbacca convention in our house! We just treat it as his way of trying to speak to us. I wouldn't worry too much about the sleeping thing either. It could be Mila is too hot and just moves away to get comfortable. Just try and be firm with her if she was identified as the 'bully' as she will need to understand her place on the pecking order. I'm sure someone with far more experience than I've got in these matters will help but there are also mny threads you can check out on the forum that may have an answer for you too. Good luck with her and keep us updated. Pics always go down well around here :)

Our 2 both were rescued/adopted at 2 years old+ Haven't had any expierence with young pups. From our expierence it took about 6 weeks for Cj to adjust to us and her new enviroment. We are still going through the settling process with our newest addition Ace. We got him the day after Thanksgiving.

She's adorable! Don't worry about affection right now, that comes later and plenty of it:) start doing mental excersizes with her, make everything exciting an fun! I had lots of fun with Meeka and Dexter and I got them both when they were 8 weeks. It's a tiresome run- but if you are positive and make little things like peeing outside SUPER FUN WITH TREATS!!!! You will reap the benefits! Good luck!

True dominance is very very rare in dogs, and quite honestly most of the dog whisperer hype is garbage anyhow. She is the equivalent of an infant, so while she may have a couple baby fits, I wouldn't take her seriously. Just make sure she goes into puppy classes to make up for the behavioral lessons she is missed leaving the litter early.

We practiced commands like sit, come, lay down, leave it, take a treat nicely, when she was 8 weeks old. We also would play with her , let her have the toy then take it have he sit,give her a treat and her toy back.

we played fetch, hide and seek, lots of fun playful things then shed go pee and take a nap and then it's playtime and mental fun all over again,

when it was food time she was taught to make eye contact no matter where I was holding the food, we would also stroke her while she ate and continually put our hands in her food dish. She was taught manners and respect and she was rewarded greatly for it!!

Shes 11 months and still thinks she's a little baby, have fun with them!! PLAY :)

Oh gosh this is Yuki. Little twerp won't sleep with me, and I wanted a cuddle dog :[ Ah Yuki does a little bit of a growl in her 'woos', but shes just saying hello or wants to be fed or is just arguing with me for no apparent reason. Mila is gorgeous, shes a cute little pup <3 Ask as many questions as you need, and post as many pictures as you want (plus more! I want more!). Welcome to the forum :)

Not sure how true it is as I've always followed the advise that I was given and, so far, touch wood, I haven't had a problem. Always let them know who the boss is and never let them try to dominate you as once they do that it is very difficult to turn them around. Mine always had a stern NO if they were doing something wrong. They get loads of love and cuddles and they are always praised when they do right. My eldest dog Sasha is the pack leader and out in the run she rules but as soon as I go out or the dogs come in she knows that I have taken over. I couldn't ask for a better pack of dogs. Even the pups know now. Something else I was told is that occassionally they will try to outstare you. If they try don't let them succeed as that is another way of showing dominancy. Once again I can't say how true this is as I followed the rule and haven't had any problems but it may all be a load of tripe. I'm sure someone on here will either agree or disagree with me, so from there you would need to make your own decision. Hope this helps and good luck.

Gary

Dogs read a lot of us from our faces, so they probably are not trying to stare us down, so much as simply watching what we are doing. Another possibility with that particular behavior is they are asking for something.

Here are a couple CAS presenting that 'asking' behavior, although CAS are more likely to back off from begging from an adult than a stubborn little sib will.

On the left is the adult and on the right is the puppy.

Puppy asks for the bone. There is a VERY subtle lip curl from the adult saying "NO."

post-8127-1358608743559_thumb.jpg

Puppy says "Please?"

post-8127-13586087436674_thumb.jpg

Adult refuses

post-8127-13586087437472_thumb.jpg

Puppy actively looks away so as not to give the impression that she has any more designs on the bone. Note that the adult does not stare back. Staring back can be a confrontational approach in doggie language. With these two the puppy would have backed down way before it escalated to that point.

post-8127-13586087438303_thumb.jpg

Edited by jmscott

As far as affection, my first was the ultimate lover boy. My girl, now 2 years, will lay beside me in whatever room I am in, but prefers her own space for the most part. She's much too 'dignified' to show overwhelming affection. She does when I get home from work, but for the most part, would much rather just know where I am than sharing affection.

Its just a personality difference between the two. I have discovered that as she ages, she becomes more affectionate, if that helps to ease your mind.

thanks for all the advice! i have been trying to teacher her all the comands and she is starting to pick up on sit and come. but sometimes when she "comes" she gets really distracted and stops half way or run to the left or right of me. i also have a question about crate training. she has been doing great when she is tried and loves to sleep in there. but at night she will wake up and want to go to the bathroom which is good. but in the morning she will whine to get out and play. should i ignore the whines in the morning or just let her out? and also when i try to get her to get used to it when she is hyper she hates and whines non stop even if im there next to her. any advice on how to get her used to the crate when she is hyper??? thanks again for all yalls help!!

post-9132-1358608744099_thumb.jpg

I just let her out to play. I have puppies whom just turned 19 weeks and they do they same thing they want up every morning at 7 to be let out and play i let them for about 20 minutes, take them potty and they are ready for bed again : )....And the growling thing, one of my puppies, Meeka, has been showing that to me. She does not do that to my fiance but i believe it is because she is trying to bond to him...She is a doll but she growls when i pick her up. Cute puppy by the way : ) good luck

thanks for all the advice! i have been trying to teacher her all the comands and she is starting to pick up on sit and come. but sometimes when she "comes" she gets really distracted and stops half way or run to the left or right of me. i also have a question about crate training. she has been doing great when she is tried and loves to sleep in there. but at night she will wake up and want to go to the bathroom which is good. but in the morning she will whine to get out and play. should i ignore the whines in the morning or just let her out? and also when i try to get her to get used to it when she is hyper she hates and whines non stop even if im there next to her. any advice on how to get her used to the crate when she is hyper??? thanks again for all yalls help!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67507[/ATTACH]

make sure she stops whining before you let her out of her crate. you don't want her to think that everytime she whines she will be let out or you'll have to deal with that forever haha. I made Luka quiet down first then i would proceed to let him out. Now he goes to his crate when he sees me grab my stuff (keys, purse, etc.) without a word. And when i get home he patiently waits for me to let him out. However, i like other members let Luka have atleast an hour of play time in the morning. It sucked at first having to get up much earlier but he needs the exercise and stimulation.

Puppies generally can hold their bladder for 1 hour for every month old they are. They should also be allowed to free play at that age and rest when they need to. I would ignore the whines and carry on with her schedule, but take note of it and make sure she isn't trying to bring attention to something important.

Welcome to the world ov husky puppies sometimes they just don't like being picked up n not being affectionate can also be common in huskies my 3yr old girl isn't very affectionate at all unless it's on her terms n prefers to be on her own

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner