wart? skin tag?

Val (Zebedee)

I was grooming Myshka as she is blowing like crazy, when I came across a 'growth' on her leg. I don't know how long it's been there - as I say, it's come to light with her heavy shedding. Steve's gonna call the vet in the morning but I'm at a loss as to what it is.

It's about the size of a rice krispie, soft and squishy. My first thought was a tic but there is no 'head' - but then again, I've never had a pet with one! It looks like it has fur growing from or through it which is why I thought of a skin tag.

Here's a few pics - in the one of her curled up, its visible on her back leg near her ear, a greyish blob - any ideas?

[ATTACH]67734[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]67735[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]67736[/ATTACH]

post-143-13586087894827_thumb.png

post-143-13586087895663_thumb.png

post-143-13586087896198_thumb.png

It does look like a skin tag type thing but I'd speak to the vet anyway. Not sure what they would do with it? Freeze it off maybe? Poor Myshka. For you guys not to have seen it before it can't be bothering her which is a good thing. You'll have to let us know what they say tomorrow :)

@stormchaser09 yes it's definitely white long fur, same as her coat coming out through it. My first thought was a tic but I've never seen a live one and it doesn't look like any of the pics or descriptions I've looked up. That's why I'm thinking a skin tag. I assume a wart would not be as long and not be as squidgy.

We had a Keeshond with a skin tag on his neck, just below the line of his collar. We were advised to leave it unless it became a problem. Over the years, it did increase to about the size of a pea, but it never was a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it looked like a wart, that's was going to be my first response. It she starts to bite at it or lick it, she may end up getting it off herself...and she may have some bleeding, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. How old is she? My Stormy girl and my old lab both had lots of these as they aged.

It looks like a skin tag to me, but who am I to second guess the vet.

Wart or skin tag, I'd have it removed so you aren't so worried about catching it while grooming. And I'm surprised that the vet would leave it on, even though it isn't bothering her. That is interesting to me as my vet wouldn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it looked like a wart, that's was going to be my first response. It she starts to bite at it or lick it, she may end up getting it off herself...and she may have some bleeding, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. How old is she? My Stormy girl and my old lab both had lots of these as they aged.

She was 7 in November, Nanci @HuskyHijinx - what sort of age did you start noticing them on your dogs?

Thanks everyone, just keeping an eye on it for now but it doesn't seem to be bothering her for now

She was 7 in November, Nanci @HuskyHijinx - what sort of age did you start noticing them on your dogs?

Thanks everyone, just keeping an eye on it for now but it doesn't seem to be bothering her for now

I think they were a little older, but like I just said to becky...warts tend to fix themselves because they are caused by a virus.  I wouldn't worry...dogs like people get skin stuff.  Make sure it's not cancer or something terrible and then forget about it except when brushing.  That's just my opinion!