My new response to sledding-haters, what's yours?

elenamarie

Hi Everyone!

The Iditarod is coming soon and I've been reviewing last year's race and stories. As always, there are a couple of people who insist that the dogs are being "forced" to pull and run, and harnessing them to a sled is somehow abusive. It's ridiculous of course but I finally hit upon the perfect way to demonstrate to them just how ridiculous their claim is.

Last night Gigi and I worked up an estimate of the distance between a driver's eyeballs and the lead dog(s) eyeballs--44' on average for a 12-dog team. Given that number, I'm going to ask anyone who writes such nonsense to tie their dog to a 44-foot rope tied off to a tree, stand BESIDE the end of the rope at the tree with the dog at the other end (no human contact with the rope) and FORCE the dog to obey a command it doesn't want to obey. I won't believe a soul who says they forced a dog to sit or stay or whatever in that scenario without video proof. Remember, it has to be something the dog doesn't want to do since they insist sledding dogs don't want to pull or run.

When you're out and about during the Iditarod and you see/hear someone making that claim, how do you respond?

I've been dealing with people telling me that in huskies (siberian, alaskan, or any other northern dogs), unless you teach them, don't miss pulling or any sport for that matter. And that you have to teach it to the dog from a pup. :facepalm: And that if you actively sport a dog after a couple of years of doing nothing, you are being tyrannical. Lastly, they claim that mushers often confine their dogs outside the winter season to chains and do nothing with them. I seriously doubt this, though I don't mush.

My response would be: Is that your opinion or someone elses? I think people in general tend to pick up information and then just spew it out as if it were fact. Either way I'd say do some research...you might be surprised at what you learn!

That's a little extreme and quite honestly made me laugh out loud. But I get your point. Only people who have absolutely NO idea about the breed would say any of these things and assume they are true :/ lol

That scenario is precisely what they claim happens to dogs at a dog sled race. They really believe that the driver is somehow forcing the dogs to pull and run from 44' behind the lead dog(s). Do you think it isn't sufficiently clear to make the point? If not please help me refine it, I really want to use it this year!

Check out this site to see just how insane it really is. http://www.helpsleddogs.org/ Not to say that individual owners aren't terrible owners but honestly they make it out like the dogs are dragged the entire way against their will.

Edited by elenamarie

You must remember this simple fact:

97.6823% of people on this planet are complete and total idiots.

Doesn't help me sleep better at night, but at least I know the truth.

That explains a lot! My dad uses the 80/20 rule. Ten percent of people are exceptional, eighty percent average, ten percent total wastes.

Some people are idiots! They are sled dogs! It is in their DNA to pull. My roommate has a springer attachment to his bike and he hooks Nikko up to it and rides with him, and he LOVES to pull! He also went ice skating and had Nikko pull him on the ice. It was awesome to watch! I’m not brave enough for that LOL. We also bought a kick sled to have them pull us when they are older.