Does anyone skate with their husky?

BelleBot

I want to get back into inline skating, and I love to go with Fenrir when he's old enough and get him pulling me on skates. Is this a recipe for disaster or could it actually work?

My plan is to spend this year getting competent at skating again and then towards the end of this year, beginning of next year start getting Fenrir to pull me along.

I want to go scootering as well when he's old enough, though that might have to wait till we have a car so we can go places suitable for dog scootering. Hopefully we'll have a car next year.

I tried inline skating with Kodi

I used to skate down skate parks, over jumps etc. so I have quite a good competence with skating too.

However, I would not recommend anyone doing it... It is far too dangerous for two main reasons below:

No proper steering, you go where your husky wants... After a cat, squirrel, another dog....

Mainly though, you have no breaks. This is a recipe for disaster, I was skating with Kodi for around four months and in this time we had some very close calls.

I now bike with him, which we both love and is SO much safer for both of us and for those around us. I would personally take up scootering or bikejoring and I would avoid skating all together.

just my opinion and experience :)

I plan to do this with my Sibe once the weather clears up. He'll be about 18 months by then. If he's not strong enough to fully pull me I'll mostly skate and have him pull a bit.

I've done this with a friends adult German Shepherd and its great. She is a fairly disciplined dog who heels well but has a very high prey drive and always goes have squirrels when walking or running with her but when pulling she always stays on the pavement path. She'll turn her head and watch the squirrels with her tongue out but has always stated on course even the first time without being told. Some dogs just seem to know when they have a job to do. We skate on a pavement path around a park, it is about 6' wide with grass on one side and ocean on the other (several foot drop) so she has a pretty clear path.

I will bike with my my Sibe as well but I'm actually more worried about crashing on the bike because if he pulls to the side I'll probably go flying off the bike whereas with skates I'll at least be able to stay on my feet and I'll have his leash in hand. If my arms are extended when hes pulling me and I pull my arms back into my body the resistance he feels will go up dramatically and I expect he'd stop. If need be I'll attach one line to his collar as an emergency brake and have the pulling line on a harness.

Maybe I'm bonkers considering this then, I'd still would really like to give it go. I used to be very competent on skates, but that was 10 years ago! So we'll see. I guess Fenrir would need to be well trained with mushing commands first. Where I plan to do it is a promenade so apart from other dogs very little wildlife, and it's a clear straight path.

Be safe, if pooch decides to sod off in a stoopid direction across a surface YOU can't skate on then you either gotta let go and risk losing the dog or hold on and take the damage.

At some point Huskies will always do the unexpected.

I hadn't seen that, what an awesome video, I definitely want to have a go now, despite the danger. Mind you I certainly wouldn't do it anywhere near roads and cars that's just asking for trouble.

Seeing as you have a year to prepare, you can start by teaching Fenrir the commands you will be using to keep you both safe.

My husband also saw the video and the first thing he did was pull his blades out - I put them back where they have been gathering dust for years, they are safer there :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Hi, This is Rich, a new member from tokyo.

I do.

I have been doing it since 2009, when my Husky Gracy is no more than one year old.

Here is the youtube:

The title is:

Husky leads the Inline Skater

It is really fun, after you can control the dog.

It will needs a couple of tumbles before the dog konws what he cannot do.

Best regards,

hey that what am thinking in doing ones my Husky is old enough to pull someone but right now when we go for walks and run i try to give him a commend for every turn we make every time we stop or turn around.... he does try to go where people is or if he see other dogs but only when we are walking but i see ones he is running he doesnt care about anything else than to run.. he doesnt go run to where people is at or even stop if he see other dog they love to run and pull..... hope u put video here to see how the bad and good thing of him pulling u... i will be doing the same thing putting videos here