Your views on neutering/spaying please

boink1202

Is it absolutely vital for the health and happiness of my little rascal Axe, a 6-month old Siberian Husky pup?

In the Philippines, I have not met anyone so far who has practiced neutering/spaying their pets. As far as I know, the practice is not strictly followed, as we do not have laws on this.

Axe is not my first dog, but he is my first Siberian Husky. All of my previous pets were of mixed breeds (except for one Japanese Spitz dog), and all of them were not fixed. With my previous pets, we were careful on keeping them isolated when they were in heat, hence we didn’t have unwanted litters, save for the occasional ‘accidents’. In those cases, the pups would be given to close relatives and friends ONLY, and only to those whom we know that are responsible pet owners. We have never sold puppies EVER, but then again, we’ve only had mixed breeds (mongrels?) before Axe.

Now, I’ve gotten suggestions from friends and acquaintances to let Axe mate with another Husky (sometimes their own pets) for a fee (or puppy sharing scheme) as soon as he’s able to. This breed apparently is becoming popular in my home country and they are encouraging me to become a ‘breeder’. Let me state that being a ‘breeder’ has not crossed my mind. I have no idea what makes a competent ‘breeder’ or even if I should become one, but my friends point out that my Axe has PCCI (Philippine Canine Club Inc) papers stating his good lineage (19 red marks + 7 green marks), has a great temperament, and if I allow him to breed, then I can eventually end up with a pack of Huskies without buying from another breeder. They know that I am planning to get another fur companion for Axe since our other dog, a mongrel, is already old and may die within a couple of years or so.

So basically, my question is actually about two related topics: neutering or breeding your pet. Would love to hear your views on this.

All my dogs are neutered/spayed , as there as SO many huskies in rescue over here , breeding isn't just getting two dogs together, you will need to hip and eye score , make sure the Bitch is hip and eye scored too u have to a? Prepared to take back all pups should their new owners or the Bitches owner can't and u have to make sure you can cover the fees should anything go wrong they will be as much your responsibility as they will be the bitches owner

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

Hi :) We will be getting Kodiak neutered at some point after he is 15-16 months old. Our vet has said due to his size (he currently weighs 48.5kg) they wouldn't recommend doing it any sooner than this and it may be better to wait until he turns 18 months. Apparently there is a risk of bone cancer and neutering can lessen the risk, this isn't our only motivation for doing it but it is obviously a big factor. We aren't planning on breeding with him so that isn't an issue either. Our last 2 dogs were both cross breeds and one was neutered (as he was a rescue) and the other wasn't and we didn't have any problems with either of them. I think neutering is a personal choice and if you are planning on getting another Husky (female?) then maybe you should consider it so that you don't have any unwanted litters or not if you do want to breed from them. I think it is something you can think about for the time being as Axe is only 6 months :)

All my dogs are neutered/spayed , as there as SO many huskies in rescue over here , breeding isn't just getting two dogs together, you will need to hip and eye score , make sure the Bitch is hip and eye scored too u have to a? Prepared to take back all pups should their new owners or the Bitches owner can't and u have to make sure you can cover the fees should anything go wrong they will be as much your responsibility as they will be the bitches owner

Thanks for your input. Do you have further recommendations on articles I can read about hip and eye scoring? Would love to read up more about it. I know how to use google of course :), but I figure I can start with recommendations from active forum members who tend to be more knowledgeable about these subjects.

I also read the article in the link that you provided and while I find most of the outlined scenarios highly improbable or not applicable in my case, it has provided me also with additional point of views to consider. Thanks again.

Hi :) We will be getting Kodiak neutered at some point after he is 15-16 months old. Our vet has said due to his size (he currently weighs 48.5kg) they wouldn't recommend doing it any sooner than this and it may be better to wait until he turns 18 months. Apparently there is a risk of bone cancer and neutering can lessen the risk, this isn't our only motivation for doing it but it is obviously a big factor. We aren't planning on breeding with him so that isn't an issue either. Our last 2 dogs were both cross breeds and one was neutered (as he was a rescue) and the other wasn't and we didn't have any problems with either of them. I think neutering is a personal choice and if you are planning on getting another Husky (female?) then maybe you should consider it so that you don't have any unwanted litters or not if you do want to breed from them. I think it is something you can think about for the time being as Axe is only 6 months :)

Hello there. Thanks for your feedback. Not to butter you up or anything, but I find your Kodiak to be such a gorgeous looking pup! He's part-Malamute right? (Or full Malamute? Apologies if I recall incorrectly). Mals are even rarer in the Philippines, though I've already seen some ads for Mal puppies and they do cost a pretty penny.

I have read up on the supposed benefits of neutering, but there are also articles I've read stating some disadvantages (for example on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutering) so it's a bit confusing for someone whose pets have never been neutered/spayed. Like I said, I believe we have been responsible for our previous dogs (I've had 7 dogs since I was a kid, including Axe), dogs are socialized (in the sense that we try to make our dogs people-friendly and not territorial guard dogs), isolation when in heat to avoid unwanted litters, re-homing of pups to responsible relatives/friends (again, we have never sold any pups) when pups do arrive, etc.

I understand that the responses I will be getting will depend mostly on the local situation of the one giving the advice. I posted the same question in another dog forum (Philippines-based) and the initial response I got is 'NO' on the subject of neutering/spaying. He acknowledges the supposed benefits of the process (especially the ones based on behavior, like it is supposed to make your dog less aggressive), but he does not want it for his dog. Maybe he was projecting (he's a guy, his dog is male, too) so the procedure does not sit well with him.

Heck, to be honest, maybe I'm projecting too! The thought of any snipping occurring near my bits.... :eek:

um @suitsibe may be able to help you with this one

i hope you can read all the revelvant information and make an informed choice....

im not going to tell you not to breed cos without breeders i wouldnt have mine BUT there are a lot of responsibilities and costs that come with being a breeder

i have neutered all of mine as i cant afford 9 puppy mouths to feed/puppy packs to send out, whelping costs, extra vet bills for mum,dad and pups and i really dont have the room to take back the pups if the owners cant cope

whilst you would only be provding the love juice for the pups, treat breeding like you had a female and had the extra responsibilties

Thanks for your input. Do you have further recommendations on articles I can read about hip and eye scoring? Would love to read up more about it. I know how to use google of course :), but I figure I can start with recommendations from active forum members who tend to be more knowledgeable about these subjects.

I also read the article in the link that you provided and while I find most of the outlined scenarios highly improbable or not applicable in my case, it has provided me also with additional point of views to consider. Thanks again.

It's mainly directed at female dog owners but something everyone considering breeding should read as you will be just as responsible as they are after all you'll be helping to bring puppies into the world

Best people on here to talk to about breeding are probably [MENTION=7]Dunc[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1869]sutsibe[/MENTION] who have bred theirs before

On the question of neutering, it all depends on whether you decide to breed your dog. If you are not going to breed from him, then I would say that neutering is a sensible course of action. The benefits far outweigh any possible disadvantages (in fact the only disadvantage I can think of is that he might put on weight a bit easier). In my experience the optimum age for neutering would be 12-18 months, when the dog is fully grown.

On the question of breeding, it's can of worms time!!!!!

For me there would be no point (apart from making money) in breeding anything but the best quality, healthiest dogs/bitches. In practice this means that the dog/bitch needs to be registered with its appropriate Kennel Club (to ensure that information about its ancestors is available); have an excellent hip score; to have passed eye tests for all the ocular issues to which the breed is prone; to have an excellent temperament; and to have proved its quality (its closeness to the breed standard) in the showring and (where possible) on the trail.

For information on health testing etc in the Phillipines, I would contact the PCCI (Philipine Canine Club Incorporated) - http://www.pcci.org.ph/ .

Hello there. Thanks for your feedback. Not to butter you up or anything, but I find your Kodiak to be such a gorgeous looking pup! He's part-Malamute right? (Or full Malamute? Apologies if I recall incorrectly). Mals are even rarer in the Philippines, though I've already seen some ads for Mal puppies and they do cost a pretty penny.

I have read up on the supposed benefits of neutering, but there are also articles I've read stating some disadvantages (for example on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutering) so it's a bit confusing for someone whose pets have never been neutered/spayed. Like I said, I believe we have been responsible for our previous dogs (I've had 7 dogs since I was a kid, including Axe), dogs are socialized (in the sense that we try to make our dogs people-friendly and not territorial guard dogs), isolation when in heat to avoid unwanted litters, re-homing of pups to responsible relatives/friends (again, we have never sold any pups) when pups do arrive, etc.

I understand that the responses I will be getting will depend mostly on the local situation of the one giving the advice. I posted the same question in another dog forum (Philippines-based) and the initial response I got is 'NO' on the subject of neutering/spaying. He acknowledges the supposed benefits of the process (especially the ones based on behavior, like it is supposed to make your dog less aggressive), but he does not want it for his dog. Maybe he was projecting (he's a guy, his dog is male, too) so the procedure does not sit well with him.

Heck, to be honest, maybe I'm projecting too! The thought of any snipping occurring near my bits.... :eek:

Kodi is a Malamute :) a giant one at that!!! :rofl: I agree with the others too. We need people to breed their dogs otherwise none of us would have our fur-kids so if it is what you wanted to do then as long as you do your homework (which you obviously are) then there's no reason why you can't do it. You sound like you and your family have been very responsible dog owners so you don't have any worries there :)

Glad that you're asking questions on this topic well ahead of time! Do your homework, and see what's needed to be a responsible breeder before you make a commitment to breed Axe. I've shown Siberians for many years - since 1986. I was fortunate, in that I had several wonderful mentors who were dedicated to the breed and its health - and they taught me things I would never have learned otherwise! Like Mick, I would suggest that you get involved with a club or group of dog fanciers - another possibility would be a group of Siberian exhibitors/breeders in the Philippines (https://www.facebook.com/huskyphil?sk=wall&filter=2). With their guidance, you might be able to learn more about the dogs who are Axe's ancestors, what their strong points worth passing on might be, as well as the faults (and every dog, like every human has faults!) that would best not be passed on. These people could potentially provide you with a network of knowledge and support, and have the potential to become life-long friends...

All potential breeding stock should be hip and eye scored to be proven "clear" of genetic disease - which still doesn't mean that they absolutely can not produce those diseases in their offspring - it just reduces the likelihood. For an example of why reputable breeders do test and try very hard to produce genetically healthy dogs, if you haven't seen what Rosemary is going through with her Micah, check out her thread... http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php/49204-No-good-news-for-our-little-Micah-( We want to produce healthy dogs which will live long and active lives, and the best way toward that is to try to use only the best (genetically healthy dogs who are physically, mentally, and temperamentally sound) breeding stock available.

It's advisable to "prove" breeding stock as being worthy of being bred - showing that they are of sufficient quality. This is best done by working a dog as it was meant to work historically - in harness, for a Siberian. That isn't always possible; dog shows initially started to evaluate potential breeding stock by evaluating the structure and movement of individual dogs. If you can get to know an experienced Siberian breeder near you, they may be able to give you an opinion, at least, as to Axe's quality as relates to the Breed Standard, which describes what the ideal Siberian should look like/be.

I have always spayed and neutered my dogs either after they are done showing/being bred, or if I decided that a dog I kept for showing and breeding wasn't of the quality I really wanted to breed. I have one dog that I dearly love, Tux, whom I had neutered quite young, after deciding he had a physical flaw (his front feet turn in too much, which would cause fatigue, and likely an eventual injury on a long sled trail) that would make him unfit for doing what he was bred - and therefore not a dog I wanted to use for breeding. Will I miss not having his kids around when he's gone? Yep. But I still don't regret the decision I made to remove him from my breeding program and not reproducing that trait. While he's MY boy, and I love him to bits, I want to produce better than what he is, and leaving him intact, knowing I wasn't going to use him wouldn't have been fair to him between the occasional girl in season (frustration) and the fact that neutering eliminates the likelihood of testicular/prostate cancers. As a bonus, Urine from a mature, intact male tends to smell worse than from a neutered one, and neutered males tend to be (in my experience) less obsessive about marking, and generally less likely to aggression.

It's good that you are looking into this well ahead of time. I was advised to breed from my girls for "health reasons". One of mine had a litter, one of my daughters has had a litter. We then found out that we had been given incorrect information. None of my other dogs will now be bred from. My only male will be neutered as soon as he's old enough and the girls will all be speyed. Looking after the pups is extremely hard work and you then have the problem of selling them. Still have mine. You also have all the vet bills to think about. If you decide to breed then by all means do so but do it for the right reasons not because you should.

Gary.

I agree with everyone else, it is good that you are looking into figuring out what the best option is.

Diesel is 5, and not neutered. I have no specific reason why I didn't do it. I think it was because my cousin wanted a female husky, and I have an AKC Registered husky, and he wanted to breed them. I refused. She had no papers and no certifications, and she was older, and I didn't believe it was fair to her. I tried telling him this over and over again. Next thing I know, he buys a male (mixed) husky from Craigslist and has his female pregnant within the first couple weeks. He is constantly telling me left and right that no one is buying and that he can't afford to feed them. I am glad I didn't get caught up in that mess.

My best friends adopted two dogs from two different shelters a few years ago, as puppies. One female and one male. The female went back when she was 6 months old, to get spayed. The male, on the other hand, was neutered at 8 weeks. He is supposed to weigh more and be bigger than the female. It is quite the opposite. This dog is a Lab-Boxer-Rott mix and is TINY. He is scared of everything, wimpy, and picky. I believe that if he was neutered when he was older, he'd be a much different dog than he is today.

Diesel will probably never be neutered. I have no plans to ever get another dog...or have him out without a leash or be irresponsible and have him around un-spayed dogs. My Parents' dogs are spayed and neutered and so are all of the dogs that he essentially "hangs out" with.

Ola Russell, welcome to the forum and thanks for the questions. Since you'é gotten plenty of answers already, I figured I'd put my two cents worth in.

I have two rescue dogs, a male "Alaskan" and a female Sibe, both are neutered. Why? Well, by definition the Alaskan is a cross breed and we don't need any more mixes running around. He's a great dog, friendly to a fault and if I were in a position where I wanted or needed any more he'd be a great dog in a mixed line. The female sibe, on the other hand is a good dog I rescued from the streets of San Antonio so I obviously have no papers on her. She does have some problems with some aggression and that's a personality trait I would *not* want to see passed along. So I have two reason not to breed her.

You don't say whether you Sibe is registered and if he's not then I'd say you have one major reason to have him "fixed". I think it's safe to say, world wide, that there are too many dogs that don't have homes ("wild" in the streets) and I'd bet that you don't want to add to that problem.

I'll stop, I just wantd to give you my reasons that *my* dogs are both neutered, possibly as food for thought. Thanks for asking and, from what I hear, thanks again for taking everyone's input seriously.

my dog was neutered at 7 months and it's been the best decision i've made. i don't have to constantly worry about him having dog aggression because he doesn't have an issue with any other type of dog. He doesn't mark all over everything or try to escape to find whatever dog is in heat.