Which Crate to buy?????

gypsydal

Hello everyone :D

I've had a look through all the threads here but can't find the answer to my question, so I'm looking for some feedback if any of you can help.

I need a 48" crate for my girls to sleep in when we go camping, and I'm looking for advice on WHICH one to buy.:confused: (in the UK)

Until recently we had an old police van with the cell in the back still intact, which the doggies were happy to sleep in, even though there wasn't much room for them.

But my hubby has decided to rip the cell out to convert into a small camper......however, that means no where for the girls to sleep.

The option of having them sleep in with us isn't really practical as neither of us fancies waking up with a paw in our face, or fluff up our nose!!! And apart from that they have a kennel and run in the garden at home, so never sleep inside anyway.

So.... as i said, I'm looking for a 48" crate, just to keep them safe and secure overnight whilst camping.

During the day they are free to wander around our pitch, tethered to a tree or something with loooong leads, so they would't be in the cage for more than 4 or 5 hours, but obviously it would need to be pretty strong as it will be outside in the awning overnight.

I looked at one in The Range which was about £70 but it looked a bit flimsy to me. I don't think they'd have any problems 'letting themselves out' if they desired to do so!! :rolleyes:

How about Ellie-Bo or Pethealth brands???? Anyone used crates from them? Online they look better, but unless I see one it's hard to tell.

Any other brands I could look at?

They aren't cheap so I don't want to make an expensive mistake, or end up having to apologise to our camping neighbours for 2 over-enthusiatic huskies getting into their food store while they were sleeping!!!!

I think they would settle ok in a crate, because they are not majorly destructive or suffer with separation anxiety particularly.....but having never crated them at home, i'm not sure how differently they would react compared to being locked in the former police cell!

Any advise would be VERY appreciated :)

we bought a £120 from pets at home.... our mal x had a good go and busted out of it a few times when we were out... he twisted the steel bars but after cable tying the crap out of it he stays in there

our other three go in a smaller crate together :/

before camp ours had never been crated and to our disbelief went in and settles nicely, at camp they even drag us back and shoot back in the crate

is there anyone close that can lend you one or two??? just to try out before hand???? they might need seperate crates or they might want to be crated together...

take your dogs to a pets at home and try them in the diff sizes x

Hello everyone :D

I've had a look through all the threads here but can't find the answer to my question, so I'm looking for some feedback if any of you can help.

I need a 48" crate for my girls to sleep in when we go camping, and I'm looking for advice on WHICH one to buy.:confused: (in the UK)

Until recently we had an old police van with the cell in the back still intact, which the doggies were happy to sleep in, even though there wasn't much room for them.

But my hubby has decided to rip the cell out to convert into a small camper......however, that means no where for the girls to sleep.

The option of having them sleep in with us isn't really practical as neither of us fancies waking up with a paw in our face, or fluff up our nose!!! And apart from that they have a kennel and run in the garden at home, so never sleep inside anyway.

So.... as i said, I'm looking for a 48" crate, just to keep them safe and secure overnight whilst camping.

During the day they are free to wander around our pitch, tethered to a tree or something with loooong leads, so they would't be in the cage for more than 4 or 5 hours, but obviously it would need to be pretty strong as it will be outside in the awning overnight.

I looked at one in The Range which was about £70 but it looked a bit flimsy to me. I don't think they'd have any problems 'letting themselves out' if they desired to do so!! :rolleyes:

How about Ellie-Bo or Pethealth brands???? Anyone used crates from them? Online they look better, but unless I see one it's hard to tell.

Any other brands I could look at?

They aren't cheap so I don't want to make an expensive mistake, or end up having to apologise to our camping neighbours for 2 over-enthusiatic huskies getting into their food store while they were sleeping!!!!

I think they would settle ok in a crate, because they are not majorly destructive or suffer with separation anxiety particularly.....but having never crated them at home, i'm not sure how differently they would react compared to being locked in the former police cell!

Any advise would be VERY appreciated :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Cages-Crates-Extra-Large-48-Puppy-Training-Crate-Folds-Flat-Metal-Tray-/121042757982?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item1c2eb5e95e

this is the one both of mine have,

storm has had his for 2 years and its still good as new

If your pooch isn't likely to get stressed and try to get out then go for a cheap one.

However if your dogs suffer from separation anxiety then they can easily trash a cheap one and escape.

If your pooch isn't likely to get stressed and try to get out then go for a cheap one.

However if your dogs suffer from separation anxiety then they can easily trash a cheap one and escape.

ill second that, the one i originally got for angel she got out the first night. i returned it and ordered the same as storms. never gotten out of it.

I think they'll be fine in a crate, no stress or anything. I just didn't know if one brand is better quality than another.

Because they have never been crated I don't want them coming to any harm by escaping. But like I said before, they are pretty good with being confined when they are sleeping so I'm sure I'm worrying unnecessarily.

I've been looking on Amazon and the prices are actually pretty good aren't they?!

Thanks for your help guys

:)

• 1 year later...