Regarding returned puppy - what do you think

NicTurtle

What do you think is the right thing to do in this situation?

The breeder sells a puppy with the agreement that if the owner ever can not take care of the pup, he should be returned so the breeder can find a good home.

1 month after the pup is sold the new owners call and say they can no longer keep it. They will return in to the breeder if the breeder will resell it and pass the money on to them so they can recoup some of the cost of the puppy.

In my opinion, the people are doing the right thing to return the pup and not sell it themselves to "who-knows-who", but as a breeder are you expected to essentially buy back your pups months later?

Remember a friend of mine had a litter a few months back. This has just come up for her and she asked my advice. I haven't got a clue. I know there are some breeders on here, what is your policy? (Again, this kind of stuff is why I don't have the stomach for breeding - messy in more ways than one!:confused:)

If their contract states that the puppy should be returned to the breeder, then the breeder has absolutely no obligation to refund that money. Depending on the situation, I might refund their money, save for the deposit, or may refund half the amount. One month is a very short time to have a puppy. As I said, it depends on the reason. If it is because of something that the puppy buyers had prior knowledge of and chose to withhold from me as the breeder, I wouldn't refund a dime. You signed a contract stating you would return my dog, not that i would be your broker, now give me back my puppy.

I've got a friend rehabilitating a year old puppy that had been rehomed to another family, but ended up having to be returned to the breeder (thank dog the idiots that had him first gave the new owner the breeders info). However, the first owners failed to mention that the wife was afraid of the dog and beat him. He is only a year old and fear aggressive especially towards women. On top of that he is a guardian breed so is naturally suspicious anyhow, not to mention 130lb. The breeder sent him to my friend to try to "fix" the poor kid, but the signs do not point towards a good ending.

This is another reason why it is so important that the dogs go back to the breeders. You don't want to pass along a dog with issues to the next family who may not know what to do about it either.

Edited by jmscott

To me it sounds like they're using your friend as a hassle free way to sell a puppy they no longer want, like the many ads you see on gumtree, pre loved, etc...I would personally be very careful not to let them push their luck too far. If there's a valid reason for them returning then that's different and hopefully an arrangement can be made to recompense but if not and there's no contract dictating exact terms and conditions then I hope some tough love will hopefully make them think twice in the future.

Im soft when it comes to these situation when we had our pups in 2011 they were like our babies and was kinda picky who they went too and when new owner come to collect i stressed if ever it to much or you change your mind ill keep the money up just incase you need to rehome and ill find a new home as and when the right person turns up,

Emma, I kind of feel like you're right. They told her, "the landlord changed his mind and won't let us keep him." Then it took them 2 weeks after that before they dropped him off. They said, "he's surprisingly hyper." The breeder said he's a dream. He lays at her feet and just wants to be near people. The only time he's antsy is when he's outside and scratches to come in. So I wonder if they had him out in their yard all the time and didn't exercise him maybe? Then decided they didn't want him. It just sounded odd. She's had the puppy back a month and they just called her yesterday to ask why its taking so long to sell him and get their money back.

Emma' date=' I kind of feel like you're right. They told her, "the landlord changed his mind and won't let us keep him." Then it took them 2 weeks after that before they dropped him off. They said, "he's surprisingly hyper." The breeder said he's a dream. He lays at her feet and just wants to be near people. The only time he's antsy is when he's outside and scratches to come in. So I wonder if they had him out in their yard all the time and didn't exercise him maybe? Then decided they didn't want him. It just sounded odd. She's had the puppy back a month and they just called her yesterday to ask why its taking so long to sell him and get their money back.[/quote']

ok for that reason then no.

if it was for a reason like the current dogs wouldnt accept it and for its safety it had to go then id say yes.

Would depend on the contract I expect as the contracts I've seen stipulate no refunds will be given if the dog is returned to the breeder. If the owner has signed on contract on these grounds then they won't have a leg to stand on in a court of law.

Every contract I have seen states that they will not refund your money, except in certain circumstances. The breeder I got Yukon from stated that if you return the puppy within 7 days then you will NOT get any money back, but you can put the money you paid towards a different puppy (minus the deposit). More than 7 days and no money is refunded or can be applied to another puppy.

I see the point in that, but I think it should be flexible. Like others said, if the puppy caused a major conflict with others in the house, or there is a health issue there should be situations to get some of your money back.

while i agree that the breeder contracted them to give her puppy back and doesn't really owe them money, the reality is that the contract doesn't usually hold up and once the puppy has been purchased there's not a lot the breeder can do usually. and i would probably just be glad that the new owners who obviously weren't good ones gave the puppy back as they could have sold him/her easily.

If the puppy was like $500, I would give them maybe $100 back. I don't think they should get the full amount.. puppies are a LIFETIME commitment not just a 'okay its out of the cute stage now so lets resell it'

I agree, I don't think it is right to get a puppy without thinking it through. I thought about it for a long time before I got either of my pups. Although Nikko was a spur of the moment thing, I had already done a lot of research and thought about it, so I knew I was going to get one, I was just a matter of when.

If I would ever breed (which in reality I would not), I would be grill anyone that wanted one of my puppies, and I would make damn sure they went to a good home. If someone had to give the puppy up, I think I would just take it on a case by case basis, and no set rules. I would worry that they people would just sell it to some other fool on craigslist and it would end up in a shelter, and I would rather eat the cost than have one of my babies end up there.

Do breeders take lots of anti anxiety meds to get through this process? We had an "oops" litter once and thank GOD those pups all got good homes with friends, or friends of friends. There are so many "what ifs" My hair would turn grey if I had to lay awake worrying over this stuff!

Yes, as careful as I tried to be in selecting good homes for my puppies when I've bred, there have still been some anxiety-causing moments! One situation which has come up twice was where I sold a puppy to a couple, the husband passed away unexpectedly within a year or a bit more, and the wife was unable to care for the dog - in one case, finances were a problem, in the other, the dog was just too big and rambunctious for her (she was older) to manage. In the latter case, she was far away from me, and managed to find a home for her boy with my approval, in the other, I took the dog back and found him a home. I've always been flexible on how I handled things - and yes, it is often easier to give a partial refund to "make them go away", even if you feel it isn't justified.

Emma, I kind of feel like you're right. They told her, "the landlord changed his mind and won't let us keep him." Then it took them 2 weeks after that before they dropped him off. They said, "he's surprisingly hyper." The breeder said he's a dream. He lays at her feet and just wants to be near people. The only time he's antsy is when he's outside and scratches to come in. So I wonder if they had him out in their yard all the time and didn't exercise him maybe? Then decided they didn't want him. It just sounded odd. She's had the puppy back a month and they just called her yesterday to ask why its taking so long to sell him and get their money back.

If I were the breeder I would probably only give them any leftover money from reselling the puppy once you take out the cost of feeding the puppy while it was with the breeder and seeing as the puppy is no longer at the cute stage when they first got it, it would possibly be taken in by someone for less then the original price. Also, I think it's really rude they called up asking about their money, they seem more concerned about that then waiting for the best home.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I'd tell them to take a jump off the nearest cliff, stupid people not thinking before they get a puppy & worse still, people who SELL their unwanted pups/dogs on!

If you don't want the dog, GIVE it to someone who WILL look after it & give it the love & care it needs instead of thinking about money!

If you even think about giving them any money, charge them a 'broker fee' for acting as a middle-man plus feeding & caring for it until it's re-homed. Doubt there'd be much left then!