Dogs stolen

pauline_d

I am bit worried recently about the amount of dogs, and huskies being stolen. I am on my way to get another husky but I am so scared that with two huskies, people will see it and try to steal them from me, I could not live with that. I am starting to get a bit paranoid everywhere I go with Alaska, even at night I don't feel comfortable having him sleeping in the living room and lately I don't let him go in the garden anymore while I am at work, there must be another way to deal with it.My house is rarely empty because I live with 4 friends, but because it is a big house they would not necessary hear a thing and I live in the middle of Reading with a really busy traffic in front of my house.If you have any idea please let me know, I just can't imagine Alaska being taken away from me.

Tbh with more then one dog , u might be less ov a target, its easier to take one dog but trying to take one dog away from its pack mate n u might have a problem , also maybe invest in a walking belt if they see the dogs are actually strapped to you that might make them think it's not worth the hassle . Are your dogs chipped and wear tags? Maybe carry an alarm with u also ?

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

Yeah I wouldn't waste my money on one tbh, I walk all 3 ov mine together unless bings decides he doesn't want a walk then it's just the sibes but I notice people seem to be quite wary ov 2 big dogs walking towards them , also what I do is if we are approaching someone I shorten their leads and hold them close , to some people that would immediately put them off as they don't know why I'm holding them close when we see someone n might think that they have a tendency to not get on with people which might help

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

i walk Odin on my own Dave takes the other 2 out, Odin is attached to a walking belt his lead is attached to his harness and his collar, he also wears a canny collar which is attached to a loop lead so he walks next to me. it wouldn't be easy to just take hiim being attached to the belt pluss 3 leads lol also i carry a spair lead a thick chain lead, this is NOT for Odin this is for me as any one who did try their luck at taking my boy would get that lead rapped around their head simple. pluss i stick to the road or streets i never take him any where that i know i'll be alone. safty first. we go to the woods and stuff when we're all together me, dave and the 3 dogs

Just be wary of anyone i dont tend to talk to anyone on my walks although people tend to just avoid me anyway and look scared of them! I do get paranoid about the house at times but tbh if anyone tried to come in Skye would go absolutely mental at them!

I usually keep him very close to me like you do, I realized that people will think that he probably is an aggressive dog. I think I might do what Valkyries does with Odin. To be fair I am gonna have to find a way to walk two dogs at the same time without being walked myself. I am more worried in the house when I am not around. If I am in the house I always have an eye on him, or he is always following me. But he would definitely welcome anybody trying to get into the house, and he doesn't bark ...

All you can do is make sure doors etc are locked no windows left open secure lock on garden gates etc microchip on both dogs and collars plus tags not alot else you can do! Try not to worry to much or you will stress yourself out :)

Thank you Stormy, you are right I can't do much else, I will try and relax a bit more. It also frustrates me because I know that so many people who steal dogs could be found if there was some proper help... In France microchip is not so common, usually it is a 'tattoo' on the ear, I might do that too because I've read that they take the chip off and put a fake one, but how are they going to get rid of a tattoo?!

Take the chip off :eek: how the hell do they do that its inserted in their necks and so tiny would be hard to find!!

I dont worry to much about them in the house as dogs being stolen around here tend to be stolen out of gardens so i check the gate before i let them out i also have a quick check of the garden as early last year they were putting poisoned meat into gardens to :(

I have them attatched to me on walks and hold them close passing people but i dont wonder off to anywhere that i would be on my own anyway.

It was an article I saw while I was looking at Aurora's(another dog that was stolen) details where she was last seen. Other than that, I just got to read another article and don't really know what to think about it...

"

Some years ago, I heard about a pair of dogs (I believe they were huskies), that had been stolen from the owner/breeder. The dogs were searched for; rewards were posted, all to no avail. But, a year or two later, a vet who was treating the dogs happened to scan them for microchips and discovered that the person who had taken the dogs to him/her for treatment might not be the owner. Thankfully, there was a happy ending, and the dogs were reunited with their original owner. (Or, so the story goes.)

My question is: DO vets regularly check for microchips in the pets taken to them for treatment? And, if so, if it should it turn out that the pet they are treating doesn't belong to the individual who brought them in, would the vet contact the owner listed in the microchip registry, or at the very least, contact the registry service to determine who the owner really is?

This is a big concern of mine, because microchips are great, but they serve virtually no purpose if the pets aren't scanned for them. I know that shelters regularly scan all pets for microchips nowadays, but if vets aren't doing so, there are probably thousands of pets that aren't being reunited with their rightful owners.

I see this as an ethical issue, and feel it is the obligation of vets to scan all pets when they are treated. I would expect this of my vet, and if I was a vet I would do the same. After all, if you were treating a pet for an ailment, particularly if the ailment will entail a costly procedure, and it turns out the person presenting the pet is not the owner, wouldn't you want the true owner to have the option of having their pet cared for?

My pets are all microchipped. They also have collars with tags, but they've often lost their collars while out romping on our farm. I'd like to feel that if one of them wandered just a little off our property and someone picked them up, or if someone outright stole them, I'd have some chance of getting them back."

*link removed* this add was on yesterday about a missing dog, not long after you could see this add *link removed* the dog looks exactly the same and its in the same place too. What do you think? I tried to call the owner of the dog but it doesn't ring and I sent an email already.

Edited by BingBlaze'n'Skyla
*link removed* - see rule - 6.01 -The advertising of any animals for sale, whether directly or indirectly is strictly prohibi

I am bit worried recently about the amount of dogs, and huskies being stolen. I am on my way to get another husky but I am so scared that with two huskies, people will see it and try to steal them from me, I could not live with that. I am starting to get a bit paranoid everywhere I go with Alaska, even at night I don't feel comfortable having him sleeping in the living room and lately I don't let him go in the garden anymore while I am at work, there must be another way to deal with it.My house is rarely empty because I live with 4 friends, but because it is a big house they would not necessary hear a thing and I live in the middle of Reading with a really busy traffic in front of my house.If you have any idea please let me know, I just can't imagine Alaska being taken away from me.

ok, sit down and chill! You are stressing far too much!!! All this stressing aint doing you or your sibe/s any good and could make the situation worse!

There are an increasing number of pedigree dogs (worth thousands of pounds) being stolen around Dorset and the south coast and Ive also heard on the news that there are aparently a group of people stealing these dogs.

I don't want my boys being stolen and yes wouldnt be able to live with myself if they were stolen! Yes I'm worried about loosing them and yes it does stress me out also but I try to keep thinking of the better side of things.

No matter waht there is always going to be some sort of dog napping going on because there will always some person out there who can't do anything better with their lives! All we can do is take precautions to prevent it happenning to us as much as possible.

Heres a few precautions:

1) Make sure the dogs garden / outside are is fully enclosed and secure. Our garden is fenced of with wooden fencing and brick and the gates of either side of the house are both locked from the inside/garden side and can be locked from both sides. We always have the gates locked on the Garden side unless Im out walking the dogs in which case one is locked from the outside for when I come back in and I've got the dogs with me at that time.

2) Make sure the dogs are microchipped and the details are kept up to date. Our boys are microchipped and we are in the process of changing their pet log details.

3) Make sure the dogs are tagged with your surname and up to date telephone number. I read never to put your pets name on the tag as it can make it easier for someone to steal your dog. I think there is more than one side to that view however. Our dogs are tagged and up to date

4) Make your home secure with locks, alarms, security lights, etc we have lockable windows and doors, a security alarm and outside security lights

5) Keep your dogs on a lead on walks. A dog napper will more than likely take your dog if they see him/her wondering around the park, etc off lead so keeping them on a lead not only allows you to keep a better eye on where your dog/s is/are but can also deter dog nappers. Our boys have a traditional husky recall so are never off lead anyway.

I just found this online aswell with a few usefull tips: http://www.directline.com/pet-insurance/tips/dog-theft.htm

My question is: DO vets regularly check for microchips in the pets taken to them for treatment? And, if so, if it should it turn out that the pet they are treating doesn't belong to the individual who brought them in, would the vet contact the owner listed in the microchip registry, or at the very least, contact the registry service to determine who the owner really is?

When I took Phoenix for his checkup and vaccination the other day, the vet scanned him to get his number and she checked the number against the microchip certificate that I had from the registry. I was very glad to have that paperwork on me, because I had just used it to register him with the local council. I am sure it would have all been fine, I know that the details on his microchip are correct and in my name because I just had it all updated.

I have heard though of vets who can apparently change details on microchips. People take dogs to vets and tell the vet that the dog was sold to them and the vet updates the records. I believe they are putting a stop to that practice. Or at least, hopefully, they are contacting the details of the listed owner first before doing so.

*link removed* this add was on yesterday about a missing dog, not long after you could see this add *link removed* the dog looks exactly the same and its in the same place too. What do you think? I tried to call the owner of the dog but it doesn't ring and I sent an email already.

Same breed, same area but different dog. The markings are all different.

Edited by BingBlaze'n'Skyla
links removed

Thanks for the advices, however I have always been of a stressed nature and I can live with it and be happy at the same time. I came here to ask some advice on how I can limit the chances for my dog being taken away. Unless you are a psychologist, then I would happily take your advice on how not to think about it too much and relax :)

i just try not to think about it too much honestly. if i go to the enclosed dog park with Luka i make sure i watch him at all times just like i would if i had a child playing at a playground. on walks i keep a firm hold of his lead and if someone were to take him they'd have to pry my dead fingers off of it first. Lastly, like everyone else has mentioned i make sure he's chippped, that it's updated at all times, and he also has his tag with my information. I also went ahead and put his microchip tag on his collar because if the vets are closed someone can call the number on it and they will give them my information.

When I took Phoenix for his checkup and vaccination the other day, the vet scanned him to get his number and she checked the number against the microchip certificate that I had from the registry. I was very glad to have that paperwork on me, because I had just used it to register him with the local council. I am sure it would have all been fine, I know that the details on his microchip are correct and in my name because I just had it all updated.

I have heard though of vets who can apparently change details on microchips. People take dogs to vets and tell the vet that the dog was sold to them and the vet updates the records. I believe they are putting a stop to that practice. Or at least, hopefully, they are contacting the details of the listed owner first before doing so.

Im not sure now it works in Australia, but so far as I'm aware vets here can't make alterations to chip information. If you want details updating, like new address or change of owner you have to contact the chip company and pay a fee. And the only time our lots chips are checked is when they go for a booster vaccination to check its still working and not migrated.