How many languages?

Sparks

Hey peeps, I've just been thinking I want to learn more languages...

Obviously my first language is English, i know a bit of welsh...

But I want to learn languages like Chinese, Indian, French etc...

So how many languages can you talk fluent in? I know some find it hard to talk fluent in one Let alone two haha!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey peeps, I've just been thinking I want to learn more languages...

Obviously my first language is English, i know a bit of welsh...

But I want to learn languages like Chinese, Indian, French etc...

So how many languages can you talk fluent in? I know some find it hard to talk fluent in one Let alone two haha!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

VB.NET, C#.NET VB6, PHP, SQL, Transact.................... Ohhhhhhhhhh them kinda languages ..... Nope, just english

English and Dutch is what I use every day. Have learned German and France at school but never used it afterwards. Taught myself Esperanto (which was really fun by the way!) but not used it in a while as well. I want to learn Norwegian at some point. They key in learning new languages is actually USING it. Eg: find fora or people in real life you can talk to with your chosen language.

Random fact: Did you know I used to have awful grates at the English language at school? I just couldn't get a grasp on how the grammar worked, which words meant what when I had to translate them, etc. 6 years ago I decided to join an American forum. My introduction post took me half an hour to write, but I did it anyway. I started reading, but more importantly: typing in English more often. I've been using it every day since then. Right now I don't even have to think about it any more. I fact, I think bilingual as well :D

Another random fact: Did you know that being bilingual helps you improve your mental health? In fact, a recent study showed that using more than one language every day protects you from dementia as it helps you switch between different tasks easily. Quite intriguing if you ask me.

Fluent in absolutely nothing! Can handle English most of the time, Spanish and German some of the time.

My forte is recognizing a language from hearing it spoken - comes of having too many linguist friends when I was in service! I can't tell the difference between Cantonese and Mandarin, but can normally identify the other southeast Asian and a lot of European languages. I have to admit that I was completely caught off guard one day by some people speaking Portuguese - the written and spoken don't seem to resemble each other at all!

In today's world, if I had the option of another spoken language, it would have to be Chinese or possibly Hindi.

Apart from English, I used to be fluent in German - less so now as I haven't used it for years. When I was working with kids I used to be fluent in "street" but as it changes all the time I'd be completely out of date nowadays innit!

Apart from English, I used to be fluent in German - less so now as I haven't used it for years. When I was working with kids I used to be fluent in "street" but as it changes all the time I'd be completely out of date nowadays innit!

Street languages changes weekly i think, not so long ago a group of lads said my dogs were "sick" to which i replied no they're not (i was quite insulted!) i was told sick meant great / brilliant lol