How many languages?

Sparks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the obvious, I can speak a little French. I was learning Italian, but I gave up - if I ever go to Italy I'll start learning it again.

Italian has less words than Dutch (not sure how it compares to English, but it's probably about the same). If you hear Italian people speaking it's like they're trying to read out an entire Harry Potter book in less 5 minutes. That's simply because they need more words to get the same information out as for example English. When looking in the dictionary I found that 'bus stop' in Italian is a huge word. When literally translated it was something like 'A place for people to wait for the bus'. That's the shorted they could get :rolleyes:

I think English is the easiest to learn, because other languages are so much more complex, when I moved to England I could hardly speak English, within 6 months I was fluent and past my English lit & English language gcse's. :)

I think Russian/Chinese/Japanese/Latin have to be the hardest to learn

I'm only fluent in English (American) but I took Spanish and Japanese in college, but I am still working on the Japanese. Although, since my other half works for a Chinese company and gets sent there a couple times a year, I am taking the time to learn a little of that. Haha, the first thing I did was to print out his emergency contacts in Chinese.

I think English is the easiest to learn, because other languages are so much more complex, when I moved to England I could hardly speak English, within 6 months I was fluent and past my English lit & English language gcse's. :)

I think Russian/Chinese/Japanese/Latin have to be the hardest to learn

That's because English, France, Dutch, German etc are all Germanic languages sharing a lot of grammar rules, if not entire words throughout different languages making English one of the easiest languages to learn for us. However, for other areas like Asia English is one of the most hardest languages to learn, hence the existence of 'Engrish'

I am fluent in English and Sarcasm. ;)

I took 1 year of French in high school...I can kind of understand some things, if I am READING it. I can't tell you what's going on, but I can tell you what it is about by picking up some words.

I also got to learn the basics of German, French, Spanish, Chinese, and some other language I can't remember during my Geography class in Middle school. I think I was 13.

My husbands sister, who is 14, has been using the Rosetta Stone Program since she was 10 and has been doing very well with it. She is homeschooled...so jealous!