Is There Such a Thing As A Mini Husky?

Still_Waters_43

Our Nanook is small but I don't think she would be classed as mini lol - there maybe some cases of dwarfism in the breed and it could be possible that people have tried to mate 2 dwarfs to produce more dwarfs ie mini huskies, as stated above these people would more than likely be BYB after a quick buck :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

i call my leyka dwarfy because compared to my other girl leyka is very small lol even vets said shes very small for her age xx

I have seen a tiny husky. As mentioned in a previous thread about eyes, the breeders where we got 2 of our girls from had a tiny husky with the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen on a husky. Actually quite scary till you got used to them. She weighed around 25lbs and was a little bit on the aggressive side, but then, as she was thrown in with a lot of other dogs twice or three times her size you could appreciate that she needed to show the others that she wasn't going to be picked on, no matter how big the others were. They didn't set out to breed a small husky she was just a throw back. Her pups were normal sized huskies.

Gary.

"The Mini Husky has emerged on the scene in recent years as a smaller companion sized version of the Siberian husky. The Mini Husky has been well received by dog owners as a more feasible alternative to their standard sized counterparts. However the debut of this diminutive little dog has not been without controversy.The biggest topic of discussion surrounding the Mini Husky is their very existence. Some people believe that there is no such thing as a Mini Husky and that a smaller sized Siberian Husky shouldn’t be classified on its own as a Mini Husky.

My research has determined that a Mini Husky is not a new and separate breed. They are instead a smaller version of its standard sized counterpart the Siberian husky. Temperament, health, and looks all remain the same while only the weight and height is different. Some Mini Husky enthusiasts state that by decreasing the size of the Siberian Husky, the dog’s lifespan is increased and incidents of hip dysplasia decreases. This could make the Mini Husky a more suitable companion for families living in smaller quarters or families that must abide by weight limits enforced by homeowners or condo associations.

Mini Husky owners that have owned the standard sized dogs previously have found that with the decreased size of the dogs they have less problems with separation anxiety simply due to the fact that the dog is more easily transported and remains with the family instead of staying at home. Mini Husky owners have also noticed that since the dogs are shorter they are not able to scale their fences and there have been less issues with dogs escaping. Like all huskies the Mini Husky does possess the affinity for running but would probably not be suitable for pulling sleds.

Due to the lovely temperament of Siberian Huskies, they are usually easily rehomed if an owner is no longer able to care for the dog. Most Mini Husky breeders will accept a dog that they’ve bred back into their homes at any point in their lives. The group maintains a huge waiting list of individuals who desire an adult dog rather than a puppy.

The Mini Husky was originally developed by Bree Normandin in the late 1990s. The dogs weren’t made publicly available until December of 2004 when for the very first time a puppy was placed with a new owner via the internet.

The Mini Husky is still very rare with only a handful of authorized breeders involved with the dog’s continued development. Breeders are reporting having to utilize a waiting list because the demand for the dogs exceeds the current supply."

Edited by BlueWolf

Mini Husky

The Mini Husky is shorter counterpart of the Alaskan Husky. The following article will cover some information about the Mini Husky, which will help you know a lot more about these lovely companion-sized dogs.

The Mini Husky is a small Alaskan Husky breed that resembles a Siberian Husky, physically. They are known by different names like the 'Klee Kai', 'Mini Alaskan Husky', and even 'Alaskan Klee Kai'. The word Klee Kai is derived from an Alaskan Athabaskan word. The word means 'small dog', when translated in English. This breed was developed to create a companion-sized version of the Alaskan Husky. It is an intelligent, apartment-sized dog, comes from a very energetic and lively breed.

They commonly can be identified by a gray and white coat, but some Mini Huskies also come in a red and white coat. There are four prominent shades for this breed; black and white, gray and white, red and white, and solid white, although the solid white colors cannot be registered. A more detailed glance at the breed of Mini Huskies.

Appearance

It has shorter snout, larger ears, and a higher tail set that distinguishes them from the Siberian Husky. The Mini Huskies come in three sizes based on their height. The toy size Mini Husky is about 13 inches in height. The miniature Huskies are over 13 inches in height, and can reach about 15 inches. The standard Mini Huskies are about 17 inches in height.

Coat

Mini Huskies are very easy to take care of, just like the Siberian Husky. They are extremely clean dogs and do not like to wet their feet. These dogs spend hours on self-grooming and seldom require a bath. They shed their coats twice a year, and it is very important to take care of grooming during this time.

Temperament

Mini Huskies are very intelligent dogs that are active, energetic and agile. They quickly become a part of the family once adopted. They are a bit suspicious of strangers, and this makes them good watchdogs. The Mini Husky is a moderately active breed and needs socialization amongst other counterparts consistently. They have a high prey drive by instinct, and can hunt rabbits, cats, birds, hamsters, and other such living things if you do not introduce them with these animals early on. They make great family dogs and do well with children when they are raised amongst them. The puppy or adult dog may not tolerate poking, pinching or bullying by children. They may retaliate by a nip or two. On the whole, they make good watchdogs and are compatible with children. They need obedience classes, where they excel, as they love to please their owners. The average lifespan of a Mini Husky is about 11 - 15 years.

Edited by ICE & SHADOW

There are no such things as 'mini-huskies' There are mutts created by BYBs to make a buck...and the Pomsky is an artificial-inseminated man made creation, I don't really consider that a real dog breed.[/QUote

agreed its a shame when breeders act like that

I agree... no Miniature Siberian Huskies. I liken it to the tendancy of ne're-do-well types, who think that they can "improve" any breed. We used to breed Akitas years ago and had any number of people who wanted to add their dog's genetics to ours to make it bigger, or smaller or taller or heavier. All that did was anger me, as I have had experience fostering Akitas that had been badly bred, then given up or abandoned, due to various reasons. In the Akita's case, there have been a number of cases of them outright insane due to bad breeding! We bred Japanese, true-to-type only, with a small selective group of others, to keep the breed true. Another example is the outright destruction of the Irish Setter breed, for the same reasons. Man, I could go on forever about this sort of thing. Leave alone what the Gods created!